KEI Director Corners USTR on Plane to Discuss ACTA

Acronyms on a planeThe Director of Knowledge Ecology International (KEI) fortuitously found himself on the same airplane with United States Trade Representative (USTR) Ron Kirk (pictured left) and used the opportunity to grill Kirk a bit about the lack of transparency surrounding the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

Kirk told James Love that the ACTA text would be made public “when it is finished," which Love indicated would be too late. Kirk said he was aware that the public was clamoring to see the text, but called the issue of transparency “about as complicated as it can get,” and added that he didn’t want people “walking away from the table,” which he indicated would happen if the text was released.

In response to Love’s insistence that it was untrue that previous intellectual property rights negotiations were normally kept secret, Kirk responded that ACTA was “different” and the topic being discussed were “more complex.”

A pair of U.S. Senators recently called for ACTA text to be made public. The Electronic Freedom Foundation (EFF) has echoed that sentiment as well.

AbsumZero says:

The bonobo is a species of chimpanzee, which are great apes… not monkeys. To claim their behavior is analagous to that of pundit-parroting partisans is an offense to bonobos.

DarkSaber says:

Once again showing your bonobo-monkey tendencies I see. I’m not responsible for any US votes. On account of me being British. Like I’ve told you before. Retard.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

jedidethfreak says:

I’m just going to chalk this up to you (like most liberals) not taking responsibility for the vote.  You liberals wanted Obama in office, and this is the type of shit you get.

Next we’ll hear some bullshit about how this started in the Bush presidency.  Even if it did, Obama could have killed it.  Instead, he’s keeping it up, with the same cloak-and-dagger bullshit you all say was what made Bush a bad President.

Ironic, or just hilarious?

He was dead when I got here.

Neeneko says:

So he is worried abou tpeople leaving the table, yet they specificly exclude entire classes of groups from being there?

I say.. let them leave the table.. maybe it would make some room for people who should be there in the first place.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Ya CP nazis we need more of……CP should only be allowed to  legally enforce their right to make money off it(no ads no donations no direct sales or subscriptions without a license) not mere distribution witch is nothing more than fans being fans, modern CP is about the creation of monoplies and empires not so much about really protecting creative people….

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!!

DarkSaber says:

If that doesn’t scream "shenanigans" I don’t know what does.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Austin_Lewis says:

‘he didn’t want people “walking away from the table,” which he indicated would happen if the text was released.’

Why would making the Agreement public make people walk away from the table?  Is it because it’s so ridiculously and blatantly designed to screw the consumer over that anyone who had a hand in it would never be able to make another honest dime?

That comment about how he didn’t want people walking away is the most telling comment of all.

sharpshooterbabe says:

I think this is funny! They both met on the same plane! HA HA HA!!!!

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

DorkmasterFlek says:

Yeah, ACTA is "different", all right.  It’s different because any sane person would never agree to it if they knew what was in it.  If countries are threatening to walk away if it’s exposed for what it is, that tells you everything you need to know right there.