Pokemon: Little Reclusive Power-Filled Monsters

We’ll just let this one speak for itself.

As Andrew notes, the video appears to have been edited a bit, but probably just to enhance the absurdity.

Pokemon is a game that teaches children how to enter into the world of witchcraft. How to cast spells. How to use psychic phenomena…  How to put to work supernatural powers against their enemies… How to fantasy role play… Pokemon world is a world of the demonic, of the satanic.

While you might not take it quite seriously, I assure you that demons take it quite seriously.

Satan takes it quite seriously.

Our kids are going out in gangs on the streets and they are so used to killing each other in their fantasy games and in their video screens and blowing each other away and blowing each other up, that when they walk down the streets and they pull out their .45 and they pump some friend full of bullets, they kind of think in the back of their mind, well, we’ll turn off the machine and they’ll get up and they will be there tomorrow and I will shoot them again.

It’s just a game, to which I respond, Russian Roulette is just a game.

|Via EveryThingisTerrible|

100 comments

1. Baruch_S says:

People start with different, unprovable base assumptions about reality. To you, religious people look crazy, and to religious people, you look crazy. You don’t get anywhere by calling each other crazy, and you only make yourself look ignorant and/or bigotted by doing so, and attempted satirization of beliefs and name-calling don’t tend to win you anything but the animosity of the group you’re mocking. Better to just agree that you start with differing assumptions about reality and leave it at that.

2. Pinworm says:

No, it’s not ‘just because of that preacher’, it’s because anyone who can believe such things must be ‘crazy’. And by crazy, I do mean psychological issues, just not of the ‘IM GOING TO STAB CHILDRENS FACES’ variety.

You can’t believe what religious believe and still maintain that you are rational. You may be a good person, you may be happy, you may make everyone around you happy. That’s awesome, I’m glad for you. You’re still not rationale.

So while you’re trying to say don’t let those extremists make your religion look bad, I’m hoping they don’t make it look good by comparison.

I’ll also never understand how and where you people draw the line on what’s absurd and what’s not. How you can argue that there’s a space wizard named god and that’s perfectly rational, but saying there’s a devil using pokemon to harm children is absurd? That’s really where the line is drawn?

They’re both equally ridiculous to anyone who can think about it logically and rationally.

3. sharpshooterbabe says:

I am a Christian as well & to see this made me laugh but after watching it & reading the story made me think that this is the reason why other people think religious people are crazy. Just b/c of that preacher.

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

4. sharpshooterbabe says:

True.

5. G.A. says:

Satan hits Mob with Mislead! It’s super effective!

Anyways, this guy is the reason why people think religion is crazy. While I agree that Jesus probably would be called a witch if he appeared today, there are some problems with your list that are just flat out wrong.

For example with #9, it was not a sensuous foot massage/foot job, it was an act of humility (plus remember, this was 2000 years ago before people had socks and showers, washing someone’s feet was a nasty job) and she was crying. She was showing herself to be humble to Jesus, he certainly didn’t have a problem with that because she was showing that she believed in him. Basically, Jesus doesn’t care if you’re a hooker, gay, whatever, he loves you just the same. Which is the problem with the religious nutjobs, they’re the first to forget that. That’s very different from what your page says, just thought I’d point that out..

6. Kincyr says:

ah okay. those invisible ones get me every time. anyway, Revelation is all kinds of messed up. it’s description of god‘s angels are demon-like and nightmare-inducing

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

7. Lavarock says:

just to be real sure we all understand each other, there was an invisible /s at the bottom of my post.

8. GM ace says:

I love how every time some radical religous nutjob acts like an ignorant, bigoted idiot all these other folks act like ignorant, bigoted idiots. I get a lovely double-dose of the "Humans Suck" vibe.

Remember kiddies, when someone generalizes you or throws their beliefs in your face, don’t forget to generalize them and throw your own beliefs right back! Because being the more mature individual just ain’t as much gosh darn fun!

9. TBoneTony says:

I remember all of this back 10 years ago, brings back so many memories when I started to find out that all these people are nothing more than mindless idiots who are wanting to turn other people into mindless idiots based on their backwards view of the world.

Pokemon is only a game, yet because it was so big that many parents who were fooled into fearing Pokemon never really understood how fun it can be to be a kid.

If it were not for Pokemon, I don’t think Anime or even Manga could have been as popular as they are now.

10. Baruch_S says:

That’s what I was thinking. I used to play Pokemon Red back in the day, and I never learned to channel any powers. I feel cheated now…

11. Kharne says:

I was goning to say…

Then again, the real trick with Poe’s law is that what is and isn’t pardoy is practically the same thing, so if this is real or a joke is anyone’s guess. =/

With that in mind, I’m sure whoever edited this video together is doing it as a joke, but I can’t speak for where the clips they used came from.

12. Afirejar says:

I like how "fantasy roleplaying" is apparently on the same level as "psychic phenomena" and "working supernatural power against one’s enemies".

13. Kincyr says:

specifically, that was Pokémon Emerald, and the weather trio consisting of Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza were most likely inspired by Jewish mythology (Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz respectively) and were central to Generation III’s plot.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

14. Kincyr says:

and Jesus doesn’t? If he were here today, he would be called a witch for these 13 reasons:

1. Jesus criticized the hypocrisy and legalism of the religious status quo, and chose to embrace an alternative spiritual path. Matthew 23:1-36
    2. Jesus was a psychic healer. Luke 6:19; John 9:1-12
    3. Jesus acknowledged the divinity within each person. John 10:34-36
    4. Jesus lived close to nature. Matthew 8:20; Mark 1:12-13, 3:13; Luke 4:42; John 18:1
    5. Jesus believed in magic. Matthew 7:7-11
    6. Jesus could command the weather. Matthew 8:23-27
    7. Jesus had a profound relationship with the elements. Matthew 14:22-26; Luke 3:16; Luke 8:22-25; John 9:6
    8. Like a shaman, Jesus could channel spirits. Mark 9:2-8
    9. Jesus was comfortable with sensuality and eroticism. Luke 7:36-50
    10. In his own way, Jesus practiced the Wiccan Rede. Matthew 5:21-22; Matthew 22:33; John 8:32
    11. In his own way, Jesus advocated Perfect Love and Perfect Trust. Matthew 5:48; Luke 6:32-36; Luke 12:22-34
    12. His enemies accused Jesus of being under the influence of demons. John 8:48; John 10:20
    13. Jesus was killed, unfairly, for his "blasphemy." Mark 14:63-64

the link at the top of the list goes into detail on each reason.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

15. treydawg says:

this is better than the onion. seriously this is almost worse than when some of the middle east countries banned pokemon because it supports zionist or something like that.

16. Kincyr says:

he also never read the violence and smut in the old testament

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

17. Aurontsubaki says:

They gave christians a bad name already with Heidi Montag & Carrie Prejean. Pocket Monsters gets controversy only from the religious point of view. While games from Rockstar, Resident Evil & Silent Hill gets a s hitload from parents & crooked politicians eagering for media attention

What we got here is failure to communicate!

18. floydhead42 says:

As a praciticing Christian, I find this nutcase to be an embarassment to my religion. It would appear that the man has never read the New Testament: he says that some of the congregation won’t make it to Heaven because of "violent" media, but I couldn’t possibly count how many times the Bible says that all one needs is to accept Jesus. TL;DR: Not only does this guy know nothing about videogames, he also appears to know nothing about the text he gets his living from. What a shame.

Representin’ starmen.net

19. TBoneTony says:

Ahhh…it must be the 10th anniversery since the 1st pokemon movie.

And it is a good time to remember that long before Grand Theft Auto was starting to scare parents about their kids playing the game, parents were being told to be scared about this G-rated Pokemon game.

Of all the most controversial videogames of all time, Pokemon is my choice of the most controversial videogame mainly because it shows us how dumb some people really are when they talk about something they have completely no understanding of.

Reminds me of how I lost my faith in religion. Not because of religion itself but because of how other people took religion to the extreme like this.

20. Adamas Draconis says:

True we do have our more…eccentric (aka crazy in the coconut) members. But from what I’ve seen they tend to stay to themselves. That and we don’t have alot of large groups arguing about how this or that is evil. "If it harm none" remember.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

21. Adamas Draconis says:

*Sings* The inquisition, whatta show! The inquisition, watch us go!

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

22. Ratros says:

*sigh*  Ignorance is one of the greatest weapons we can use.  One does not seek the truth, but believes what they are told.  Opinion masquerades as fact and what is real is buried by fear and hatred.  What a wonderful world we live in.

Also this is going to make it harder to defend religion in future debates….

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

23. Ratros says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that has noticed this.  These days gamers will attack anyone or anything that puts games the least bit in the negative.  I blame the fact that gamers are being televised as raving lunatics and we find that we must defend ourselves and our hobbies many times over.

24. gellymatos says:

OH MY GOD!!!! This will give bad names to christians as fear mongers and as just plain moronic. HOW CAN POKEMON POSSIBLY PROMOTE SATAN!!!!!!!!

25. Kincyr says:

Fantasy: "We have the bring them into the love of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, so he may save them, that they may bask in the glory of God in Heaven for all eternity."

Reality: On the very last page of the Bible Jesus reveals himself and provides the amazing kicker ending of the entire "Holy" Bible: "I am the root and offspring of David, and the bright and morning star." (Revelation 22:16) In Isaiah 14:12, St. Jerome, translated the Hebrew word for "morning star" into the Latin term "Lucifer" (light bearer), a name commonly ascribed to Satan by Christians, and represents the fallen star, an ancient symbol for the fallen or evil one. Christians have, for centuries, ascribed Satan as taking many forms (for example the serpent). Thus, a conclusion, based on Christian beliefs of Satan, and the belief in the "inerrancy" of the Bible, one must conclude that Jesus has revealed himself as Satan!

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

26. ZippyDSMlee says:

Ya but really now who’s more influential?  Crazies of a large sect or crazies of a small sect? And Christianity still leans to much to an antaquited interpretation of an absolute god of spite and devision.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

27. Lavarock says:

These children can’t distinguish fantasy from reality! We have the bring them into the love of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, so he may save them, that they may bask in the glory of God in Heaven for all eternity.

28. jedidethfreak says:

Ummm..I think I know where you’re going, but it doesn’t quite work.  Like Christianity, Wiccans have their crazies, too.

He was dead when I got here.

29. jedidethfreak says:

Yeah, but Nightwing thinks that any Christian, regardless of denomination or how "into it" they are, is misinformed and evil.

He was dead when I got here.

30. kagirinai says:

In context, this is the same thing, is it not?

One of the most common anti-gaming rants (presented by this pastor as well) is that we play violent games which make us violent, and then we begin to lose the ability to seperate reality from fantasy, and thus bring the violence in to the real world. To quote: "…they pump some friend full of bullets, they kind of think in the back of their mind, well, we’ll turn off the machine and they’ll get up and they will be there tomorrow and I will shoot them again."

Of course, we know (through plenty of studies and the sheer fact that games haven’t caused a rise in violent crimes) that games don’t destroy our ability to distinguish fantasy from reality. The same cannot be said so clearly for religious faith — granted, here we get in to a bigger, dirtier argument about religion v atheism, but the statement remains true in the scientifically observable sense of things.

If the criticism here is that fantastic, unreal things are causing people to kill each other, it applies more reasonably and readily to religious fanatics than it does to hardcore gamers.

31. BearDogg-X says:

All together now:

"What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

32. Erik says:

I explained why it was not on topic.  If you have anything other than "nu-uh!" as far as a response I would like to hear it.  Until then kindly fuck yourself.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

33. Erik says:

Wait, so now you aren’t questioning the validity of real vs. fake.  Now it is that it can turn people into killers.  Which is it?

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

34. ZippyDSMlee says:

Whats more disturbing teaching kids about wicciaisim nature and goddess worship or teaching them a hate filled wrath wizard in the sky will feth hell fire upon them if they do not follow the teaching of the people who say they have been chosen by god because he has chosen them over all the sane people!

35. Demontestament says:

"Satan takes [pokemon] quite seriously."

Did anyone else start hearing the devil went down to georgia?

The Devil went down to Pallet he was lookin for a soul to steal

he was in a bind cause he was way behind he was willin to make a deal.

When he come across a young man trainin a charmander and playin it hot.

And the devil jumped on up on a hickory stump and said "Boy lemme tell you what

I bet you didn’t know it but I am a pokemon trainer too"

"And if you care to take a dare I’ll make a bet with you."

"Now you train a pretty good pokemon boy, but give the devil his due

I’ll bet a gym badge of gold against your soul cause I think I’m Better than you"

The boy said "My names red and we’re not even in a gym, but I’ll take your bet, you’re gonna regret

cause I’m the best that’s ever been.

36. Father Time says:

It always seems like people become desperate stupid and lazy when they denounce things as being satanic.

—————————————————-

37. Defenestrator says:

Unless you’ve seen the movie "Jesus Camp," which might be one of the most frightening movies I’ve ever seen, then you’d see that this guy is pretty tame.  Any religion, when twisted, can be used for immoral purposes, and there are those out there who are unbelievably misinformed.

38. chadachada321 says:

(Posted as a reply to some other guy, but I’ll repeat it here as a separate post)

I’m dating/screwing/kinda-in-a-relationship-with a girl whose parents are exactly like this pastor-guy. Me and my friends once got out two decks of Pokemon cards and went to play it while we were hanging out with her, and her mom started basically freaking out, claiming that several Pokemon were named after devils and blah blah blah.

A funnier time was when me and her went with her parents to the mall, and I took home some cut-outs that Gamestop was throwing away. She joked about it, calling me a "Level 70 Dungeon Master" or something, and I said I was impressed by her combination of D&D and WoW. Her parents both freaked out, asking if we’ve ever played D&D and stuff (we haven’t). We asked her dad why later, and he replied that it was "satanic."

*Sigh* They’re the problem with the US today.

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

39. Valdearg says:

Normally, I wouldn’t laugh at something so corny, but today is different, I guess. That was mildly entertaining. 🙂

40. Beacon80 says:

This made me crack up, not because of how thin is argument is, but the way he phrases this implies that there’s nothing wrong or even usual with kids walking around with .45s, nor is the problem that they’re shooting them.  Strictly speaking, this sentence is complaining that when they do kill each other, they’ll think it’s not permanent.

On a more technical note, I refuse to play any game that has a 24 hour respawn time.  Having to reboot the system to respawn sounds like a glitch, but hopefully they’ll address that in the next patch.

41. DarkSaber says:

He was on topic, your reply was not on topic. And it was stupid.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

42. DarkSaber says:

SATAN, I CHOOSE YOU!

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

43. Zerodash says:

Oh, and it’s perfectly on-topic.  When the religious claim that fantasy makes people into sinners/killers etc, because they don’t know the difference between that and reality, it is a moot point when the religious base their entire lifestyle on fantasy they accept as "real".

100% relevant.

44. gamegod25 says:

What scares me is that he didn’t get laughed out of the church (or wherever that was) and that those people were (seemingly) taking him seriously.

As soon as he brought up demons and satan everyone should have been like "ok stop right there"

45. Erik says:

Not a bad rant, but I’ve heard better.  But most importantly an off topic rant.  The validity of Christianity or of Pokemon and fiction or non fiction was not the point.  But I guess you aren’t to blame.  I know its a reflexive action for those such as your self.  A jerking of the knee as it were.  It is no different than people having a conversation about laundry and propery seperating the colors from the whites in earshot of some raving David Duke fanatic before he intones that keeping the races seperate is not enough and we should murder off all the minorities.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

46. Zerodash says:

How is Christian belief any less of a fantasy than Pokemon?

A old bearded white man who is his own father who created the universe less than 6000 years ago is sitting in heaven making sure you aren’t masturbating while relishing the chance to cast gay people into eternal damnation. = FANTASY

Oh, and more people have been killed in the name of Jesus than Pokemon.

47. kagirinai says:

I always find it amusing that fanatics like this are always projecting their inability to distinguish fantasy from reality on to other people. It speaks volumes.

48. hellfire7885 says:

Why od I suddenly get images in my head of $170 dollar DS units being tossed in the trash or burned?

Man is stuck in the 1980s

49. Adamas Draconis says:

Nah everyone’s biased. I just happen to be biased against idiocy.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

50. Sporge says:

Actually when you think about it it makes perfect sense as to why you attack things like pokemon as a someone living off the church.  I mean it competes for people’s money and time.  I certainly remember not wanting to go to church to play games or do any number of other things.  It is certainly not demonic in any way but if pastors want to get kids to go to church they almost have to scare the parents now adays lol.

51. Lou says:

I thought that was the whole point of the religious nutcases. They compare modern things (Pokemon in this situation) and call them "The Devil’s work". You know kids not flocking to their churches to listen to ignorant and outdated ideas because they prefer to see a Yellow rat electrocuting something that looks like a dog rather than listen to "the creepy old guy in the podium".

52. Magic says:

I swear, sometimes I think berks criticise these things in this manner just because they’re jealous that kids are distracted or oblivious to their religion.

Pokemon is demonic and satanic? Sigh. Because it it’s not blessed by a church, or connected in any way, then by default it’s somehow the tool of the devil.

OH D&D! Welcome back to evangelical ranting!

Children ended up killing themselves in a role-playing game? WHAT?! Is he not mixing it up with those ridiculous, utterly inane Jack Chick tracts?

"Russian roulette is just a game!" – LOL. Yeah, GP is right, this video speaks for itself.  I don’t need to say any more. 🙂

53. DubiousKing says:

Funny thing is, he references that passage, saying that "him that pisseth against the wall" refers to men and that men should take pride that they can piss against a wall and not feminize themselves by sitting down. IMO, he’s taking the phrase a little out of context.

54. Baruch_S says:

Can you call it knowledge if he thinks that pokemon is actually a front for new age thinking and that the children who play it come to believe that they can channel the powers of the pokemon? He has the very basics–kids go and catch these things to fight them and become the best–but after that he’s off the deep end.

55. gellymatos says:

What’s weirding me out is that he is actually has basic knowledge about the game and show. Up untill he get to the rant on how it is evil, he actually knows what he is talking about. He isn’t an expert, it just looks like he actually tried to research the basics.

56. sharpshooterbabe says:

lol…..like some southern people have said Rock & Roll is devil’s music or on that movie "Water Boy" w/Adam Sandler his ‘momma’ says "football is devil’s play!" lol.

57. Kincyr says:

ironic, given that I Kings 14:10 (KJV) points out that pissing against a wall is considered a crime

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

58. DubiousKing says:

I sometimes think that these people look at everything in the world and immediately try to create some connection between that and Satan.

"We got pastors who pee sitting down. We got the President of the United States, probably peeing sitting down. We got a bunch of preachers, we got a bunch of leaders, who don’t stand up and piss against the wall like a man. And I’m gonna tell you something, that’s what’s wrong with America." – http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/the-pee-sermon

59. sharpshooterbabe says:

This is when I dislike my religion being related to another religion. Although he did get this right: How to fantasy role play. Lol. When the preacher talks about taking out a .45 (semi-automatic or automatic?) What in the world does that have to do w/Pokemon?! 😀 On another note, I’m pretty sure there are other preachers, church leaders that have talked about not necessarily pokemon, but killing people in games like GTA, I can understand that…..but Pokemon?! The absurdity makes this funny.

60. Baruch_S says:

I figured as much. Unless these psycholtic parents can completely isolate their children from society until they’ve fully brainwashed them, they’re going to rebel, and their rebellion is going to be far worse than whatever "Satanic" activities their parents tried to stop them from participating in.

61. chadachada321 says:

Correct, she is an apatheist if anything (doesn’t care about religion or that crap), has used some unknown number of drugs (I’ve never asked but it’s more than one type), has sex (and is only 16 years old), etc etc. She even used the day-after pill once, and I’ve heard her parents talk about abortion/sex before (it wasn’t pretty). Can’t blame her for rebelling, with how batshit-insane her parents are.

62. Baruch_S says:

And, based on your description of your relationship with the girl, she doesn’t follow their beliefs, does she? That’s one thing people like this don’t think of: your kids are probably going to rebel against you. If you just keep a level head and don’t freak out about pointless crap, you might actually pass on some morals or beliefs to your kid because she won’t perceive you as a complete wackjob.

63. Dejiko says:

they prefer to see a Yellow rat electrocuting something that looks like a dog rather than listen to "the creepy old guy in the podium that may have molested you at some point".

fix’d

64. jedidethfreak says:

I’d say about six months after the release of Red and Blue on the original Game Boy.

He was dead when I got here.

65. insanejedi says:

I love/hate how some of the people attending that and listining to him are just nodding slowly going like "So that’s what the Pokeeemans is."

I also like how he ignored the actual and even POSSIBLE message that Pokemon induces themes of slavery and inhuman animal fighting, and somehow tries to link Pikachu as a demon.

To every Christian out there I remind them that It’s God who passes judgement, not you…

66. chadachada321 says:

I’m dating/screwing/kinda-in-a-relationship-with a girl whose parents are exactly like this. Me and my friends once got out two decks of Pokemon cards and went to play it while we were hanging out with her, and her mom started basically freaking out, claiming that several Pokemon were named after devils and blah blah blah.

*Sigh* They’re the problem with the US today.

*EDIT* I’d also like to add that the first scenario happened 4 months ago, the other a year ago.

67. Baruch_S says:

Satan takes [pokemon] quite seriously.

Hell yeah he does; his Jigglypuff will walk all over you.

Seriously though, it’s morons like this who make the entire Christian religion look like a bunch of hooting idiots, and I pity the children whose parents were sitting in that audience.. The man doesn’t even know anything about pokemon beyond the fact that it’s short for  "pocket monster;" I think he’s just making it up as he goes. I’m also wondering how old this video is; the fashions look very 90s, and I can’t imagine anyone making that big of a deal out of pokemon now.

68. DarkSaber says:

"batshit off the wall manical rambling" describes most U.S. evangelists.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

69. Erik says:

I’m just going to assume that this is a hoax.  Its just too batshit off the wall manical rambling to be otherwise.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

70. Baruch_S says:

I’m doubting it. Just look at the clothes and hair of some of the people in the audience; I think (hope?) that no one would be caught dead with those today. And who would waste time talking about pokemon now? Sure Nintendo is still putting out games, but it’s nowhere near as prominent as it was when the TV show and the cards first came to the States. I’m guessing that this video was shot around the time when pokemon was really big in the late 90s to early 2000s.

71. CMiner says:

This is embarrassing to me both as a Christian, and as a rational human being.

There is no way this video is from this decade… is there?

72. Vake Xeacons says:

ROTF! You see what I’m talking about? You just gotta laugh at stuff like this! You can’t make it in this world without a sense of humor!

Comments are closed.