id Ports Nuked Off of Android Market

December 15, 2009 -

id Software and its relatively new parent company ZeniMedia have filed a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) complaint in order to rid the Android Market of several non-id developed mobile games.

The ports in question were versions of Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein. 11 applications in all, including a Doom Soundboard, were targeted for removal. Android and Me has a clip of the fax sent by ZeniMedia to Google.

A developer of Doom for Android noted that Doom is open source, but outlined some of the mistakes he may have made in his release and is attempting to contact ZeniMedia to see if he can make any changes in order to get the app back on the marketplace. He stated:

Although the Doom source code, was open sourced, and the application was based on a port of the PrBoom engine, the application is still suspended.  My mistake was allowing the download of the Plutonia  and TNT WADs, at least that is what I suspect. Although I may not be able to distribute the application through the Market, the APK can still be downloaded and installed through the web.

This YouTube video shows off one of the versions of Doom for Android in action.

Comments

Re: id Ports Nuked Off of Android Market

This guy is kind of a douche.  Taking something made free and open source by the owners then trying to sell it.

Re: id Ports Nuked Off of Android Market

Actually, the ENGINE is open source, not the actual game content.  You can use the engine for whatever you want (FreeDoom, etc), but the game's content is still subject to copyright.

Re: id Ports Nuked Off of Android Market

My understanding of Open Source was that you can do what you want with it as long you don't make a profit.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: id Ports Nuked Off of Android Market

There are many different open source licenses. Most of which still allow for for profit ventures. The catch with most is that any changes you make to the code that is under the open source license be open itself. So if you alter a class or function within the open source code, you have to publish those changes. But if you extend a class or write a wrapper class, you can keep it closed source and profit from your own code.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: id Ports Nuked Off of Android Market

Doom's game engine is open sourse but Doom the game is copyright software own by id Software.

Re: id Ports Nuked Off of Android Market

I played all the parts of Doom game in computer, i bought my new Motorola Android phone but i did not try the doom game in that.
_______________________________________________
custom bumper stickers | car decal bumpers sticker

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm