Lock Up Your Consoles

December 16, 2009 -

Videogame console thefts have risen dramatically over the years, according to data released by the FBI.

A USA Today story indicates that reported cases have risen 285% over three years, to a number of 42,615 such incidents in 2009. That number is even more astounding when factoring in that overall property crime numbers, which include theft of electronics, dropped from 10.0 million in 2006 to 9.8 million in 2008.

The FBI produced the numbers at the behest of Congressman Anthony Weiner (D-NY), who wanted to see the data after complaints from constituents about electronic thefts.

Weiner’s take on the growing problem, “It's the omnipresent, miniature electronics crime paradox: Even as crime goes down, when you have more electronics, you have more theft.”

Laptop computer thefts grew from 96,834 in 2007 to 128,280 in 2009, a gain of 32%. Cellphone snatches were down over the same period however, dropping 5% to over 106,000 stolen in 2009.

University of Massachusetts-Lowell Criminologist Larry Siegel added, “Criminals are rational. They steal things that have high value, are easily transportable and easily sold.”

Comments

Re: Lock Up Your Consoles

See, even if I was to steal a console, I would have enough honor to leave the games and the HDD/memory cards. I wouldn't mind my Xbox being stolen nearly as much as I would mind losing my saves and downloadable content along with my Xbox. Steal my Xbox, yeah that sucks, but I can deal (but of course kick the crap out of the person if I find them, call the cops, etc). Steal my hardrive though...and there's hell to pay. Countless hours spent playing maybe a hundred different games, downloaded content, all sorts of other crap. There's no point nor no honor in stealing that. Grr...

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

Re: Lock Up Your Consoles

I would beat that person to the brink of death to work so hard to make the money and have it stolen oh hell no

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large amounts.

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large amounts.

Re: Lock Up Your Consoles

Good warning since thefts also vastly increase this time of year.

Re: Lock Up Your Consoles

Easy to figure out why.

Property Crime number dropped from 10 to 9.8. That's marginal.

During the same period, console prices were VERY high. Home invaders knew that, and were more willing to take them due to resale value vs portability.

Try running out of a house with a 37in TV. Possible, but not nearly as easy as grabbing a PS3 AND a 360, which would have added to about the same value (remember, these numbers are from before the price drops)

Re: Lock Up Your Consoles

Wonder if there's specific numbers on which consoles are more likely to be stolen, like what car make and models are stolen the most.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm