Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

December 21, 2009 -

A Game Developer Census shows that the number of U.S. game developers remained flat when comparing 2009 to 2008, while Canadian figures rose by 30.0 percent.

The number of employed U.S. game developers gained only slightly, rising from estimated tally’s of 44,400 in 2008 to 44,806 in 2009. Their Canadian counterparts showed tremendous growth in their numbers, totaling 12,480 in 2009, up from 9,500 in 2008. The growing of game development centers in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto contributed to the growth.

California remains the U.S.  home to the most videogame creators with 20,815, or 46.0 percent of all those in the U.S. Washington ranked second with more than 4,500 employees while Texas took third with over 2,600 game developers. New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, Florida and Maryland joined the three previously listed states as the only locales with more than 1,000 developers.

The full 248-page census is available to purchase for $2,495.00.

Comments

Re: Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

Of course! Canada has the best games! ;)

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

Thank goodness that California is still #1 in videogame developers in the U.S. It's nice to know that it's also the #1 state in advance tech by 10 years in average compared to other states, but I doubt that it will be ahead of technology when things shift later when the eonomy is changed and jobs will be diverted to other states so that they can develop. Hopefully, our state will be stable and maybe one day, create a videogame in the future.

Re: Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

Hoorah Canada!

Re: Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

I am not that surprised. We game studios like Ubisoft Montreal, Bioware, and EA Canada. Canada has some pretty well known developers for a country that that has a population just above the state of New York.

Poll