PETA Game Draws Attention to Canadian Seal Hunt

The latest action from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) targets Canada’s annual seal hunt and includes an interactive component.

The game itself is a rather simple Flash-based, embedded diversion that has players control a baby seal around men armed with clubs as it slips down a hill. While this year’s seal hunt has ended, PETA hopes to leverage the upcoming Vancouver Winter Olympics in order to draw attention to the grizzly hunt with the hopes of eventually stopping it altogether.

The annual hunt sees baby seals bludgeoned in front of their parents, often before they have eaten their first meal claims PETA.  In order to not damage a seal’s pelt, PETA says that many seals are hooked in their eye, cheek or mouth and dragged across the ice, often while still conscious.

PETA’s action campaign sends emails on behalf of the submitter to Canada’s Prime Minister and the Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee. PETA also urges a boycott of Canadian maple syrup to further get the point across.

|Thanks Grant|

Erik says:

The syrup thing, which as far as I can tell is not directly connected to the seal hunting in any way, seems somewhat vaugely bigoted to me.  Frankly I’m surprised they didn’t boycott hockey pucks and canadian bacon.  Though I really doubt that PETA would be a group that would give two damns about toeing at the line of being bigoted.  That is a human thing, and they are only concerned with every damn thing else.  I mean when they complained to a group of terrorists for using a cow in a bomb, but bombing is otherwise okay?  That is seriously fucked up right there.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

KayleL says:

Ok, I find this very odd. They are using the Vancover Olympics to bring up awareness to seal hunting, even though seal hunting doesn’t happen in Vancouver (Fail number one) than continues with a boycott against maple syrup even though there isn’t a place where we both seal hunt and gather maple syrup? (Fail number two).

This is like saying boycott American lumber by not going on a tour in Ney York city.

whiston532 says:

Being canadian these PETA guys piss me off almost as much as environmentalists ( thats a story for another day ).

The seal hunt is a very important part of the northern peoples economy and their culture. Is it the nicest thing to do to the seals ? No, But its a part of the culture. Luckilly, the Canadian Government has actually been supportive of the hunt, even participating in it ( not actually killing the seals as far as i know, but in the other aspects ). So unless the Maple Syrup industry is secretly keeping us afloat the govt wont change their stance, just to please some animal loving pussies.

CortenPlus says:

You’ll need to become more accustom to the fact that PETA will openly tell the most blatant lies about their protest subjects. It’s standard propaganda. In reality, the modern Canadian seal population control is carried out as humanely as any other, and commonly done solely with firearms and consistent headshots because they’re fairly trivial targets. The clubs are just for putting wounded seals out of their misery without needing to put a bullet into the ice that’s so near your feet. And everything that is done today needs to continue in order to protect humanity’s own fish population. That’s a sizable amount of food for many nations that people rely on.

sharpshooterbabe says:

Haven’t hunters ever heard of animal cruelty? & while the seals are still conscious?!?! :0 That is sad & heart breaking. :'(

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

PeterWDAwson says:

Makes me want to remix a quote from the Silent Night movie (I think it was a TV movie).

"What will you do when we take away your maple syrup?"

"Ask for blueberry."

SeanB says:

If you can find me a single unverified claim on wikipedia, i’l have it changed.

that’s the way wikipedia works.

I’ve even made suggestions for edits to jack thompsons page, that were made.

Nebelleron says:

Why not!

It’s actually true in this case… The Seal hunting is done in such a fashion, and there are usually a couple federal agents watching over the hunt to make sure things are done as humanely and as within quota as possible. Not to mention the World Wildlife Fund is always in there too, making sure it’s humane.

Also… the Seal hunt does exclude the killing of baby seals. PETA… If only they did five minutes of research into LAWS regarding the things they are protesting, they might actually seem credible, rather than the nutjob quasi-religious fanatics that they are.

SeanB says:

no, they’re making the assumption taht canada somehow is dependant on it’s maple syrup export, and that by not buying it, you’l make the canadian government take notice of why.

unfortunately they’re idiots. I’l bet vermont makes more maple syrup than the whole of canada.

hellfire7885 says:

So, what, is PETA going ot move toward plant protection now? Do they believe that maple syrup farming puts the trees in extreme pain? If they had their way lions would be released into urban areas.

sharpshooterbabe says:

Boycotting maple syrup is going too far. *I want my pancakes w/maple syrup!*

PeterWDAwson says:

Right up until the syrup bit I thought PETA was actually being fairly reasonable for once. I mean, really? Syrup? That’s the best they can come up with? I guess they’re research is too busy studying other things to not pander to stupid stereotypes. Made me think ‘freedom fries’ all over again.

Werrick says:

Almost none of it is true.

PETA has the world fooled because people want to believe that it’s somehow more wrong to kill seals, a time-honoured hunting tradition and a staple in the diets of not only the Inuit, but Newfoundlanders as well. Never mind the fact that the seal population in Canada, specifically in Labrador is RAGING out of control and is the primary factor in the cod shortage in the Atlantic.

PETA infuriates me. They’re liars and hypocrites.

Neeneko says:

This is why PETA is a failure as an animal rights group.  They mix real problems in with exaggerated versions, making their whole message sound made up.

And then when REAL groups that actually help animals speak up against problems, they get ignored because PETA allready poluted the meme pool.

Beacon80 says:

I wondered how much of this was true.  I mean, as far as unbiased reporting goes, I trust PETA about as much as I trust Fox News.

So I did a quick Wikipedia search.  According to it, Canadian seal hunting is done with fire-arms.  If the seal is not killed by being shot, the hunter strikes it with a special club called a hakapik, which, if used properly, will quickly and humanely kill the seal.  Law explicitly prohibits doing anything until the seal is dead.  The WWF agrees this is a humane way of killing the seal.

However, there are claims that many hunters don’t know how to use the hakapik, or simply don’t follow regulations at all.  I’m not certain how much of a problem this really is, but a much more reasonable solution would be a call for an increase in enforcement of the laws.

Wavy gravy says:

"The problem is they are not parodying the Olymics but making a false association with the Olympics in their fight against seal hunting."

Really? You think with that pradoy logo they are trying to sugeest that the olympics are associated with them? I mean they have blood dripping off a ring, and that dude thing clubbing a seal. I think you’v missed the point.

Moriarty70 says:

I think their logic is that by the Olympics being in Canada they’re supporting all Canadian industry, including the seal hunt. What they always fail to mention though is that the seal hunt isn’t just about the "fur trade" but also population control. Stop hunting seals, their population booms, and they devour fish in proportion, sorry "Sea Kittens". That happens, the east coast fishing industry is dead, plus once the seals overpopulate the area, their food is toast and thus so are they. Basic ecology.

DarkSaber says:

I remember playing a flash game where you played a Yeti and had to time your clubs swing just right to hit a dropping seal as far as possible, preferably hitting things like explosives to make it go further and avoiding obstacles that would stop it dead. Although everything after the club connects was entirely down to luck and out of player control.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

BearDogg-X says:

And get to club the PETA idiots.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

DarkSaber says:

Hmm, maybe we should have hired PETA to design the London 2012 Olympics logo instead the moron we actually hired.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.