Nintendo Kills Link to Zelda Film

An independently produced, live-action film based on the Legend of Zelda has incurred the wrath of Nintendo.

The Hero of Time, a full-length film produced by MBM Finishes and based on the adventures of Link, first debuted in Atlanta in June of 2009 and was also screened in select additional U.S. theatres thereafter. On December 14 of last year the movie was hosted online in its entirety.

At some point during December though, Nintendo got wind of the movie and issued a cease and desist order. In a nod to the holidays however, Nintendo allowed the filmmakers to host the movie online through the end of the year.

Those behind the film empathized with Nintendo’s position:

We came to an agreement with Nintendo earlier this month to stop distributing the film.  In the spirit of the holiday season they were good enough to let us keep the movie up for you to watch and enjoy through the end of 2009, but not past 2009.  We understand Nintendo’s right to protect its characters and trademarks and understand how in order to keep their property unspoiled by fan’s interpretation of the franchise, Nintendo needs to protect itself — even from fan-works with good intentions.

The film was shot over a two-year period, mainly on weekends. An embedded version of the movie is still viewable on this webpage (for now anyway) for those that might not have seen it.

Thanks Andrew!

36 comments

Kabyk says:

This isn’t about protecting their property, it’s the fact that Nintendo is still butt-hurt over the fact that no one cares about any (later) Zelda game besides Ocarina of Time. They’ve been trying desperately since OoT to get people to stop paying attention to it and look at the newer iterations in the series, with not much luck.

PS: For those who don’t know, the FanFic movie was based on OoT.

jedidethfreak says:

Why would they include a REALLY, REALLY BAD movie into a PR campaign?  I saw the movie.  I was following the movie for years (they weren’t working on it for two years, more like four or five; I posted the trailer on my MySpace page three years ago), and, quite frankly, it sucked.  It had some cool action scenes, and the special effects weren’t too bad for a guy doing them on a laptop in his basement, but the pacing was horrible and there were all kinds of subplots that the guys who made it totally glossed over, while letting other scenes drag on for-EVER!

To be honest, I’m curious as to why Nintendo hadn’t heard about this until December.  I mean, I found the link to the movie’s website on a website linked from the official Legend of Zelda page years ago.  Don’t they research the links that they themselves provide?

You KILL Vampires. You don’t DATE them.

Positive_Gamer says:

Next time, ask before you use someones work.  Who knows?  Maybe they might say yes.  I feel no sympathy because I wouldn’t want any of my work used unless I was asked first.

TBoneTony says:

Nintendo were almost sued by Universal Studios over Donkey Kong back in the 80’s.

This is a big hint that Nintendo were once small, but once when they became big they started seeing little people as a threat to them.

This is one of the very few reasons why I hate Nintendo who can’t tell between when a company is trying to rip them off to a group of people who made a fan made video because they loved the Zelda games that Nintendo made.

People from big companies should really lighten up really, because their stance of trying to protect their IP from misuse is rather pathetic considering their "Nintendo Seal of Quality" has got nothing to do with the games quality and is more to do with the licensing agreements they make with developers.

Also considering how many horrible Game to Film translations have been even in Nintendo’s own Mario Hollywood film tells me that it is nothing about quality and has everything to do about Nintendo wanting to protect their money.

Weatherlight says:

As always with anything on the internet, it will never die (especially if you tell people they cant have it). Nintendo, maybe you should have considered incorporating it into a PR campaign or something, not just close it down, because now you may be seen as the "Bad Guy" and you really dont need bad PR right now.

~Weatherlight~

TK n Happy Ness says:

If they can do this with a fan movie, why can’t they do the same thing with these Hollywood pieces of shit nobody likes?

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

PeterWDAwson says:

I don’t consider donations a "for-profit" practice as its aid, people just offering you money to help production. If the ‘donations’ are just so people can make money and there’s no compensation to the ‘donator’ I don’t consider it a donation. From what I could tell though any donations they took were just for production costs, and since it was put on the internet I get the impression that while there might be some profit it was never the main goal of the project.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Oh so they did not use any kind of donational system or drive to gain money for the project?

You can’t really separate donation and profit when it comes to the distribution of copy righted works(tho I suppose as long as the distribution part and creation part are wholly separate one could get by without being ankle bitten by the CP nazis, but still its kinda one whole project…..), it dose not matter IMO as you are actively pulling money out of the environment to directly fund a un licensed project so both are the same. but if you can get by with neither then the copy right masters should not be allowed to force you to do anything.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

Monte says:

Unless i missed it, i don’t recall seeing a link for donations on the site. Not to mention that "profit" comes after you make back what you spent on the budget; so if the donations didn’t make more than what they spent to make the film then it would still be "non-profit"

ZippyDSMlee says:

Ya look at how complaining got gays and blacks some freedom.

The reality of copy right is a slow march to data fascism, the DMCA, ACTA good lord it will only take a push or to more to have roaming MP3 police out…..*shudders*

And whats even more sad the way radio use to work before it became a caned system to sell down the chosen cherry picked crap to masses is not much different than the world of file shearing…. oh well either things will change for the ebtter or the worse….and looking at the world I am saying for the worse is up next….

Copy right should not suppurt a canned spam ladden indutry…..

ZippyDSMlee says:

Meh I believe that copy right was designed for business not common application(not for the lack of shoe horning it into everything they can then making copy right last for indefinite periods of which just by doing that copy right has been defiled and invalidated in my eyes), if its not making a profit its not causing harm wroth anyones time. And that is soemthign copy right is ging to have to get with in the next decade or 2, the modern age demands that people are allowed more rights not less…..

Monte says:

" Besides, it gave me what I’d always wanted to see from a Zelda game: Link with some personality for a change. Link was always the self-insert hero with a face, but I’d like to see how someone who isn’t a moron cartoonist from the 80s/90s would interpret the character."

Try fanfiction.net

Never been there but i’m sure you’ll find plenty.

PeterWDAwson says:

I do dislike when non-for-profit fanworks are killed, especially after a giant amount of time has been invested in them. I’ve never had a problem with that kind of thing as long as it was made clear that the creators didn’t endorse it and that there was no canon this side of fanboy valley. I mean, these guys didn’t do too bad for having a pretty weak budget and people who did try to act, somewhat. Besides, it gave me what I’d always wanted to see from a Zelda game: Link with some personality for a change. Link was always the self-insert hero with a face, but I’d like to see how someone who isn’t a moron cartoonist from the 80s/90s would interpret the character.

DarkSaber says:

It was fanfic. It not being good was a given.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

First Crimson Echoes, now this. *facepalm*

GP has a story on CE’s C&D right here.

—————————–

"A Chrono Trigger is anything that unleashes its will or desire to change history!" -Gaspar

DarkSaber says:

I was coming into this article to ask exactly the same thing.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Father Time says:

Now we shall see if the Streisand effect works with full length movies.

—————————————————-