Out of Touch Mom: Videogames Created by Satan

A staff writer for the Orange County Register took to her blog for a long-winded diatribe against videogames, even going so far as to say she believes that games were invented by Satan.

While scribe Marla Jo Fisher may be trying to write down to her “Frumpy Middle-aged Mom” tag, and possibly attempting to inject some humor into the article, her anti-game prejudice is no laughing matter.

A parent, she notes that her house is the only one on the block with no videogames at all and claims to have had her anti-game attitude reinforced even more after reading the recent story of a mom calling 911 to get her kid to stop playing games. Most horrifying however, in an event that scarred her for life, Fisher once saw a kid walking out of a library playing a Nintendo DS.

If Sir Isaac Newton had been playing a DS, I’m sure he never would have noticed the apple falling from the tree, so he never would have formulated the theory of gravity.

Of course she finishes with a shot at the Grand Theft Auto series, asking if her kids would be able to learn how to be carjackers or how to outrun the police by playing the game, adding “Those are skills I really want my children to acquire.”

Thanks Andrew

106 comments

1. axiomatic says:

Ahhh the x-tian axiom…. if people don’t hear your message, lash out at them.

Water is wet, sky is blue… etc.

2. TBoneTony says:

Having read from her reply article, "My Bad, Videogames are not from Satin"

She continued her idiodic rambling saying that Videogames were created by Lord Voldamort.

lol

Like…I don’t know how much she is being paid to become a profeshional writer, but she will have zero credability if someone from her publisher office notices her forum posts online and decided to pull the pin on her income.

I feel so sorry for her son if his mother ends up loosing her job, but not for her since she is like someone we all know who burns his bridges and blames some fictional character for doing it to them.

3. Chaplain99 says:

I like how "Dante’s Inferno" has become synonymous with the meme "Screencap or it never happened."

"HEY! LISTEN!"

4. TBoneTony says:

I am now able to laugh at something…because of her face no wonder why I can’t help but laugh sometimes.

I read from her blog and I feel sorry for her when she was being teased and picked on when she was in school all because she only wanted to read books.

And because of that, she thinks she is smarter than everyone.

I feel her anger has more to do about blaming other people for her problems and not being the fun loving mom who had her kids friends go over to her house to swim in her swimming pool (like how often do you hear parents say that was their fantasy when they finally became parents) to being someone who never lets videogames in her house and she can’t understand why her son’s friends don’t like her.

Plus she enjoys throwing insults at Videogame Developers, and worst of all, she is paid to do that.

Read her full blog here..

Now if only she could somehow get her life back on track and forget about trying to take videogames away from her kids, because when they grow into teenagers she will not be able to cope with her son’s decisions to spend his money on videogames all because his mother would not allow him to have one.

Believe me, I know how that son feels, my mother was like that, although she was less crazy than this one is.

5. Father Time says:

When a group of people are so crazy that an attempt at satirizing them can be mistaken for the real thing, not because of bad satire but because the group really is that out there, we call it Poe’s Law.

—————————————————-

6. Father Time says:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Poe’s law.
    —————————————————-

7. mdo7 says:

From reading this article, I can’t tell if this person is religiously crazy or is she being a satritical person.  If this person is really that crazy, then wow.  Look like I met someone more stupider then Jack Thompson.  whoever she is, the article is an epic Phail.

8. gellymatos says:

And that’s another thing: why is it assumed that antivideogame "activists" are right winged. There are plenty of left winged ones: Joe Leiberman and Hilary Clinton to name a few.

9. gellymatos says:

The reason I personally don’t like her is two fold: 1. She is making a flawed arguement that generalizes gamers, 2. Her rant is exactly what gives christians a bad name. People like her are the exact reason I take crap for being catholic. AND I REALLY DON’T NEED TO TAKE ANYMORE CRAP FOR IT!!!!! It’s one thing to take crap because of my beliefs, IT ANOTHER TO TAKE IT BECAUSE OF THE ACTIONS OF ANOTHER!!!!!!

10. gellymatos says:

Yes, it is suprising how much there is on occasion. It always appears whenever there is a christian related article.

11. gellymatos says:

Vald, I personally use tactics like yours when someone’s arguement is offensive. I don’t do it for every argument.

12. Im_not_Herbert says:

Wow.  The intolerance on display here from those who consider themselves the "enlightened" is just staggering.

No wonder non-gamers think we are all brain dead human waste.

Your Yak is Weak!

13. PHX Corp says:

This is a similar situation to that of Brandon Crisp when Vulgar commenters caused a huge backlash on Gamers in general(People that are immature and making us look bad, like val said, be mature or SHUT UP) After what happened I think we should apoligize and explain that any Negative comments about video games Will cause a beehive like situation(poke a beehive with a stick, you are going to get stung)

Oh and I found the person in question Youtube account(Ineed a pizza)

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

14. Valdearg says:

I actually did a bit of digging, and can link this Richard Deane Langworthy moron to the name "

Also, I don’t think your Paranoia idea is very accurate. He seems like a legit gamer, to me, when I look at his "paper trail" online. He made a petition at one point to get Sony to bring back production of backwards compatable PS3’s. So he seems legit.

On a side note: I’m kind of disappointed this guy isn’t a regular commenter. I’m sure I’d have had quite a bit of fun with him..

15. Erik says:

A bit of unsubstantiated paranoia talking, but that almost seems like something Jack would write "undercover" to try and discredit the people here.  And as we’ve all learned he is not below being an "anonymous coward".  I’m sure we all remember Saulytaurus.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

16. Valdearg says:

For clarification, here is the comment, posted by the author, at which I am so frustrated.

"And, actually, to illustrate what video games can do for you, I just got this direct message on my personal Facebook account from someone calling himself Richard Deane Langworthy:

‘I am a proud gamer, been on the SEGA Genesis since age 3, heard about you on gamepolitics.com and YOU ARE A MOTH(expletive deleted) FU(expletive deleted) BI(expletive deleted) for dissing video games! Video games were NOT created by satan, whom is clearly a fictional character, they were made by people, ordinary people, who just want to have fun. By not letting your kids into the wonderful world of videogames, you are fu(expletive deleted) them up! I hope you get breast cancer and have your kids handed over to a fun, game loving guardian when you die.’

Yeah, Richard, we’re all proud of you, too."

17. Valdearg says:

I’d like to point out that whatever GP’er is named Richard Deane Langworthy, is a complete and utter moron.

Sir, I’d like to point out that YOU are the reason people think we are all nuts, YOU are the reason Jack Thompson thinks we’re all murderers, and YOU are the reason that we find ourselves being bashed and condemned constantly. If idiots like YOU could keep your immature, neanderthal, unintelligent mouths SHUT and let the adults talk, we might actually make some progress into proving to these critics that we are human.

But NO. YOU have to open your mouth, ANNOUNCE that you are from GamePolitics, and then proceed in making a complete ASS out of yourself. Way to represent us as mature individuals, you pathetic sack of crap.

Frankly, if you ask me, I’d rather not be associated with people like you. It’s the reason I stopped playing games like Halo. The mouthbreathing, immature, IQ-is-lower-than-my-age, My-entire-vocabulary-consists-of-swears,  morons like you managed to ruin that experience for individuals who actually can form a sentence without using the F-word 5 times.

So, if you could kindly keep your dumbass mouth SHUT next time someone bashes games, and let the sane people discuss the facts, I’d appreciate it.

18. Soldat_Louis says:

I wanted to add something : I can’t blame commenters completely, and not because they’re my "fellows", but because I think I can see where they come from.

2 years ago, in the Times, I had read a column claiming that video games were "Satan’s Sudoku" and "crack for kids", and the columnist wasn’t kidding at all. Indeed, the comparison between video games and crack cocaine had been made in 3 daily newspapers in less than 1 month. Still in the Times, another columnist wrote that he considered video games as a "colossal waste of time" as well as heroin and teenage pregnancy.

And in the early 90’s, in France, after a guy took a preschool hostage, guess who was blamed by mainstream journalists and law enforcement "experts" ? Super Mario 2 ! And they were damn serious. And many people in their profession believed it too.

Edit : Forget what I’ve said in my previous comment. I no longer know whether she was faking, or what she was faking after reading this.

19. Erik says:

Thing is no one really has to argue that games are beneficial, just that they aren’t destructive.  Some people are so black and white in their thinking that they think that everything in existence MUST revolve around them in some way, beneficial or destructive.  Some things just are.  And some people just have to get over themselves that not everything in the universe is relevant to their being.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

20. Soldat_Louis says:

I was almost sure of that. I feel a bit ashamed for my fellows.

By the way, put aside irony, what were we thinking all ? 500+ comments for nothing but a blog post ! (although I could understand it for a notorious political pundit like Kevin McCullough, if you remember the "Mass Effect customizes sodomy" rant two years ago)

21. Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

The nutjob mom answered after 500 plus comments:

Well, clearly one thing that video games has destroyed in you people is any sense of IRONY. This is a column called Frumpy Middle-aged Mom. So what were ya thinking? That everything here is literal, nothing to be taken with a grain of salt?

Glad you’re amusing yourself, anyway, especially the hundreds of comments that are so vile we can’t even post them.

Good job, and y’all are really proving your point about how beneficial video games are to the human race.

My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

22. thefremen says:

Hmmm, given the fact he also created a chain that sells food which combines dairy+meat I’d say Nolan Bushnell is Satan in her view. Of course given the paganistic views of Christianity where God can have multiple aspects it is possible she could believe the same of Satan, and His various aspects inhabit the forefathers of Video Games.

23. Chaplain99 says:

Also, I can’t tell if she’s being sarcastic, satiric, or serious.  I don’t plan on sticking around long enough to find out, I have a SWAT team on my tail.  >.>

"HEY! LISTEN!"

24. Chaplain99 says:

So, there’s a secret to outrunning the police?  I thought all you had to do was…well…RUN.  Apparently, I was mistaken.

Now, I’m not an advocate of fleeing the law, especially when you do something wrong.  But the idea that this game teaches you a specific skill set needed to evade the police is…actually, kinda funny.  ^^

"HEY! LISTEN!"

25. 1AgainstTheWorld says:

"Videogames Created by Satan"

So, Satan is…  Ralph Baer?  Steve Russell?  Nolan Bushnell?  Help me out here.

26. Valdearg says:

If it makes you feel any better, I’d mock anyone who believed thier imaginary friend was all powerful, and that thier imaginary friend was responsible for all of the good in the world.

People like her just make me enjoy it that much more.

27. dsparil says:

Unfortunately it seems that the extremism of christian fanatics has caused many of their saner counterparts to abandon the religion leaving these fanatics with nothing to keep them in check and so is why insane wackos like her have become so proliferate.

28. hellfire7885 says:

I am absolutely fucking sick of these people. Thanks to idiots like her, anyone who believes in anything other than can be physically seen are mocked and made to fee linferior, all because this woman can’t accept that they may be wrong, and don’t want to do their ow parenting job.

29. dsparil says:

FYI the story of Isaac Newton being hit with an apple is completely made up. He didn’t all of a sudden come up with the theory of gravity just from that one little event. Newton formulated his theory of gravity from spending years in his office hunched over a shitload of papers. See? Even a gamer could teach this dumbass something.

30. Dan says:

The deluge of angry comments has probably caught her off guard. She’s posted some comments claiming it was all satire.

31. gamegod25 says:

Yay another person who knows nothing about videogames decrying them as evil and causing the downfall of society.

Because videogames are all completely mindless and require no thought, have no interesting stories, and never raise any moral or theological questions. Pressing a button is more than enough to teach someone how to properly fire a gun or steal a car. After all it’s not like poor school funding, neglectful parents, or anything else could be the cause. Nope it’s those satanic videogames!

32. Zerodash says:

I’d say it’s about even with any other statistic for the 10-40 age group…just about everyone in those ages playes games anyway.

33. Valdearg says:

Wow… you almost exactly described how I approach debating religion with people like you, Ratros, and SSB..

34. gellymatos says:

I personally think I’ll go to her blog and/or facebook and post argue the reasons she wrong, with just a sprinkle of sarcasm for flavor and served with a side of contempt for her opinion.

35. DarkSaber says:

We sure this isn’t another Dante’s Inferno scam?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

36. Soldat_Louis says:

I’ve seen so many fakes in the past, I wouldn’t be surprised if I learnt it’s yet another one.

And even though it could be 100% "real", I’ve already seen worse from more dangerous people. Rudi and Renate Hänsel, for instance.

37. Ratros says:

Hmmm, this makes me wonder, are more gamers athiest or religous?

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

38. SS says:

"I know the answer and I’m Canadian."

Hey get off your high Canadian horse.  I hate the arrogance that some Canadians have.  Just ticks me off, I don’t give a crap if you’re Canadian and Canada’s soooo much better than the United States.  The US has a ton of issues, and so does Canada, but do Canadians always have to be so arrogant while overlooking all your own issues?

39. Neeneko says:

but I swear that kids today are dumber than when I grew up.

The problem is, EVERY SINGLE EXPLITIVE GENERATION SAY THIS.  Sociaty is always just on the edge of ruin with the ‘current’ generation being the ‘last good one’… people of ever decade decry the lowering standards of those who came after them.

The reality is, there is a pretty even distribution of idiots.  The only thing tha varries is how much one ‘counts’ them.

40. jsmuli2 says:

That’s right, when YOU were growing up everything was perfect and you learned everything perfectly!!!  Kids these days…THE NERVE…using all sorts of technology to learn anything and at a faster rate!!! HOW DARE THEM!!!  And their Internet!! What a load of crap, kids are reading more than ever!  What is wrong with these kids?!  When will we just SHUT DOWN ALL FORMS OF ENTERTAINMENT in this new digital age?!

BTW the good ol’ days are a callin’, they want their narrowmindedness back.

41. Sporge says:

This was a point I kinda disagreed with, kids don’t get more stupid, you get smarter as you get older (hopefully anyway).  Just because kids have different knowledge than you did does not make them more stupid than you were.  When my dad might have been memorizing baseball facts that really ends up trivial, I was memorizing the names of pokemon and what moves they could learn, also will be trivial eventually.  But can you really hold one of these two things above the other?

42. vellocet says:

When you have a culture that believes that good science is evil (evolution), that people who like to study and learn should be ridiculed (nerds) and significant revision of even recent history (we didn’t go into Iraq looking for WMDS) – is it any wonder people are getting dumber?  I think there are more influential factors that contribute to studipity… and I think it’s obvious that those factors highly affect this woman.

43. Thomas McKenna says:

I have a friend in med school currently looking for the cure for cancer.  Seeing how the best cure is early detection, he’s looking for a unified method to detect all cancers at their earliest stages from only a blood test.  So far he’s actually done pretty well with it, and is in pre-clinical trials with the method.  Oh, and he plays video games (or at least did before med school, but he may be too busy now a days).

44. Michael Chandra says:

It sure ain’t games, really. Theories are that the generation after the war, who rebelled and went for less limits, now imposes no limits on their children either, and that’s what fucks them up.

People who do work below their capabilities dumb down, video games may very well provide a way for people to challenge themselves. I played this game using Mahyong pieces where you have to tap away stones of the same type and free other stones that way, and after a bit of practice (touch screen game machine, Photo Play) I started getting much better at it, the challenge in a quick good perspective and thinking well was real nice. And we don’t have to mention Shooters improving your eyes.

Truth be told, if she has to stoop to not allowing any games in her house, not only does she seem to lack faith in her own capabilities, but the forbidden aspect will only make the kids love games more, so she’s hardly doing them a favor.

45. SpiralGray says:

While her initial premise (that games are created by Satan) is patently ridiculous, I do think she’s got a point with this.

Fisher wonders how the current crop of game-obsessed children will ever learn or accomplish anything: "Here’s my question: When do kids ever think these days? When do they ever have brains free from electronics long enough to ponder the universe? To think of things that might someday lead them to a cure for cancer?"

Well, the "cure for cancer" is probably a bit far-fetched, but I swear that kids today are dumber than when I grew up. Ask a kid what country the Panama Canal is in. Or how many stars on on the US flag? I know the answer and I’m Canadian. Whether it’s video games or something else that’s causing the dumbing down of America I certainly couldn’t say, but it’s definitely happening.

46. Overcast says:

I was too busy playing Age Of Conan to check back on replys 😛

See – here’s the thing: first off there’s a difference between ‘belief in God’ and ‘religion’. I can’t control another person – be they Christian or whatever.

I mean another could say to you: so why can’t you keep all your fellow ________ (whites, blacks, asians, etc) under control?

All I’m saying is – firstly; not all Christians are zealots trying to tell others what to do.

And Secondly; I don’t like to interact with my God by being force-fed by some religion. I read the Bible myself, and I do listen to some preaching; but I mix it up – looking for truth, not agenda.

And – the very worst thing that ever really happened to ‘Christians’ – was organized religion. *To the corporate level; anyway.

Thanks – those replies weren’t nearly as bad as I expected them to be!! lol

47. Chaplain99 says:

Whoa, whoa, wait.  Since when is it MY responsibility to keep the dissidents at bay?  I’m not being paid to make people see things the way I do!

At least, not yet.  <.<

"HEY! LISTEN!"

48. gellymatos says:

Sane-christians. Oxymoronic. Cute. Look, it’s the frige is the minority and have little sway in chrisitianity (at least in my church). It’s just that the frige ones that get a lot of the media attention.

49. Beacon80 says:

So, did you just not read Overcast’s post where he separates himself from the fringe?

You can’t expect intelligent Christians to spend all their time chasing after idiots.  There will always be stupid people, and they stand out, because the 99% of Christians that aren’t acting like idiots, aren’t doing stupid things that you’ll notice.

50. Monte says:

The way i see it, the reason the sane christians do not actively shout down the fanatics is because we lack the same zeal. It takes a great amount of zeal to become a public figure that everyone listens to and to go out and take action. It makes it seem bad that they do not have that zeal, but that’s part of what keeps them sane. Becoming zealous in your faith is part of what leads one to trying to enforce their faith and will upon others; it LEADS to becoming crazy fanatics, which is what we want to avoid.

As part of the sane christian’s tolerance towards others and unwillingness to force their beliefs on others, it has become common place to just keep religion to themselves. Do not hide it, but do not bash it over anyone else’s head. Most people who are christian you would not realize it at first, because they never talk about religion if no one bring’s it up… Hell, my roommate for instance; i knew him for months without really knowing where he stood on religion (i never asked and the topic never came up), until i found out that he goes to church every sunday night; he’s definitely the type of guy you would not even realize he was religious unless you asked him about it, and thats where a lot of religious end up being… but a the same time, he is also not someone who would get up on a stage to lead his people.

Though going back to my first point, being quiet, respectful and tolerate of other’s belief’s, makes a person ill suited to combat against the douche-baggery that get radio shows and tv spots… and when it comes to the news "respectful tolderance" doesn’t deliver the same headlines as "crazy fanatic"… They do decry the religious fantaics, its just none of them are in a position to be heard.

51. Valdearg says:

I think Zerodash is saying that he isn’t seeing the "Sane" Christians, however oxymoronic that phrase is, shouting down the Fringe. I happen to agree.

They aren’t saying in any certain terms "Hey, you fringe freaks! You are wrong, and making us look bad. Please STFU!" Hell, they are barely even attempting to separate themselves from the fringe. Given how many, many religious folks behave, it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that the frige owns the religion. The rest of you are tolerating the fringe’s presence, and allowing them to hijack your beliefs.

Also, on a side note: "Are all people who own cats responsible for one guy who happens to own a cat that goes on a killing spree?" What the hell kind of cats do you own?? I want a murder-cat too!

52. Saxy says:

"The non-fanatic Christians then have a responsibility to keep the lunatics within the fringe.  Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be doing the job- just look at how Creationism, the apex of Christian fanatasism, is still a major component of the faith in America.

I just don’t see sensible Christians doing much to keep the fanatics in check- in fact, it seems the fanatics are keeping the sane elements of the faith repressed.  Christianity needs to reinvent it’s image and paragigm quickly or else more and more people will be turned away.  This blogger mom isn’t doing anyone any favors."

Normally, Zerodash, I can respect and agree with your opinions, but this? What is this supposed to mean? Am I, as a Christian, expected to like, hack this person’s page and delete her rant or something? I mean, honestly, when you use the words ‘in check’ what do you honestly expect us to do?

Moreover, does this concept of yours transcend past religion? What I mean is, are all Germans responsible for… wait, can’t invoke that law…

Are all Saudi Arabians, or anybody of a similar skin color, responsible for the terrorists, regardless of their religion? Are all people who own cats responsible for one guy who happens to own a cat that goes on a killing spree? I’m not suggesting that this is what you were implying, but how exactly does your concept of guilt-by-associationg work?

53. Bigman-K says:

Do the non-militant atheists have a responsibility to keep the militant ones from being such arrogant dicks then? Unfortunatly they can’t just like the 80% to 90% of Christians who are moderates or liberals in their Faith can’t keep the dipshit fundamentalists from being who they are. Same thing can be said for any religion or philosophy or political belief.

P.S. – The majority of Christians think the Fundamentalists are crazy lunatics and dislike them more then even the atheists do as they give their faith a bad name.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

54. ZippyDSMlee says:

And sheeple follow trends and trend bash people because they think a certain line of thought could be linked to a entity of evil. Of coarse the problem tends to come down to believing to much and thinking you are better than others…..both sides have those kinds of monos running about….

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

55. Zerodash says:

Christians are unable to separate fantasy/fiction from reality every damn day (like believing a cloven, bearded man with a pitchfork is trying to make them do bad things like play games or have sex, etc), and yet seem to have more issues with every other form of escapism.

"I truly believe that video games were created by Satan to turn otherwise normal children into his drooling, glassy-eyed stooges"

Seriously, if not for this woman being serious it would almost be funny.  But the fact that people of this ilk exist in the droves that they do in America is simply sickening.  Myth and superstition are alive and well today, and these people represent a majority of voters in the most powerful country on the planet- and that is truly terrifying.

56. ZippyDSMlee says:

Logic and reason it makes sence at least for the hatefull and unforgiving christains…but they make up less than half….. so meh

57. Kincyr says:

so in a way, the pot called the kettle black…

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

58. KayleL says:

Funny how she thinks that kids are getting dumber by video games. Lets take her example of Sir Isaac Newton. If many people played a DS in those days, maybe they would be more literate people in that time. In those days, there were more illiterates than literates. Today, I can’t name one person in my generation that is illiterate, even mentally challenged people could read.

Of course, literacy being increased was more due to better, and more available education. However, today’s culture makes it impossible to be socially included without being able to go onto websites, read messages (email or facebook), instant messaging, etc. If you are playing on the DS, you are likely doing a lot of reading.

She may say that reading books is a lot better, which is highly truth. However, it you want to get a kid into reading for entertainment (I mean serious reading like novels), they usually only would read what’s hot. Well, what is hot? Harry Potter, Twilight, and maybe Lord of the Rings. All books have been condemned by religious groups due to all have some form or magic and evil. Since this women said that video games was created by Satan, I think she falls under that kind of religious group.

59. Adamas Draconis says:

I think the translation of Satan is "Accuser",there was the whole incident involving wagering on a mortal’s faith/soul (book of Job).

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

60. deuxhero says:

Isn’t Satan the guy who judges if you get into heaven? What exactly is wrong with him making videogames?

61. Adamas Draconis says:

*hands RYG the sarcastic minigun* If your gonna do it, blast as many holes as possible.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

62. sharpshooterbabe says:

Dude I already went there & wrote her a sarcastic message that is going against what she said. She is also on facebook if you want to be sarcastic to her on there too. A lot of people are man.

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

63. SpiralGray says:

Are you truly that clueless? I didn’t say anything even remotely close to that. In fact, if anything your response proves my initial statements, because you seem to lack basic reading comprehension skills.

Stupid kids grow up to be stupid adults. Playing Halo doesn’t make you smarter (although it may improve your hand/eye coordination).

I’ve got absolutely nothing against video games, I have owned several myself (and still do). I’m against anyone (kids or adults) who revel in their own ignorance.

64. silversnowfox says:

Something something Darkside, something something brain power, something something complete.

But in all seriousness, ^.

"If you really want to enslave people, tell them you are going to give them Total Freedom." – L. Ron Hubbard

65. saregos says:

This wins the internet.

In all seriousness, you’ve hit it right on the money.  There’s minimal limitation on children now, and instead of taking responsibility for the damage they’ve done to their children a large number of bad parents instead choose to go in search of a new scapegoat.

Video games are, I think, more intellectually stimulating than any other form of media, aside from perhaps reading a book.  It’s amusingly ironic that this author, who has such an issue with video games, hasn’t spoken whatsoever about the "evils" of TV, which is arguably considerably less healthy than video games.

Moral of this, and every other, video game story in existence:  "anything can be poisonous if consumed in sufficient quantity".  Which is an adage many Americans have either forgotten or choose to ignore.

— Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known

66. CMiner says:

"Yes, overkill damages. Obesity. Diabetes. Girls so thin you could punch through them. Where are the parents? It’s not harmful to play games, it’s harmful to play too much. It’s harmful to eat too much. Etcetera."

This.

Something that, time and again, anti-video game zealots fail, or refuse, to understand.

67. Kincyr says:

Satan is the guy who christians worship. Let me elaborate:

• christians believe all mankind was cursed by their god, Jealous (name revealed in Exodus 34:14), in the beginning.
    • Satan, one of Jealous’ angels somehow took the blame.
    • they believe Jealous’ son, Jesus, was sent to free mankind from the curse.
    • they believe Jesus, by committing suicide (sacrifice or not, he foresaw it, but made no attempt to stop it) on the cross, freed mankind from the curse by becoming the curse and dying (similar to the lamb on the first Passover and the ancient scapegoat ceremony of the Day of Atonement during the times of the Temple of Jerusalem)
    • they still blame the curse, for all the wrongs in the world today.

as a former christian, these are thing that I have been taught. the next one I discovered on my own:

Jesus reveals himself in Revelation 22:16 as the Morning Star, which translates into Latin as ‘Lucifer’, a name commonly ascribed to Satan by christians today.

which brings me to these two possible conclusions:

1. if Satan is actually good, then he took it upon himself to become a scapegoat for the sake of mankind.
    2. if Satan is indeed evil, then he took the form of the savior of the world (he has been ascribed to take many forms, what more powerful form is there?) and played the first and biggest April Fools’ prank ever (many historians believe Jesus was actually born around April)

no flamewars intended

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

68. Ratros says:

Life’s greatest mysteries are only solved after death.  And who are you to say that the devil is real or not?  There is more to this existence then can be explained with science or religion.

69. Valdearg says:

"This is the part of my post where I tell you all not to be afraid of imaginary things and to especially not let those imaginary things rule your lives. They lock people up for that generally."

THIS!!!

So many people in this world devote thier lives to some imaginary thing, rather than paying attention to the real world.. Here’s a thought: Rather than worrying about what some imaginary guy will say to you when you die, try worrying about how you are treating other people, and how you are making them feel. Remember, other people are real, living, breathing, and non-imagninary. They should take priority.

It’s amazing how people can get away with believing in God, Bhudda, Shiva, or even Zombie Jesus, if that’s your thing. They even talk to them, through prayer, and nobody questions it. This hypocrisy is so strong that the very people who talk to thier "acceptable" imaginary friends will lock people away in mental institutions for talking to "unacceptable" imaginary friends.

Even now, those people here who believe in thier imaginary friend will come to defend him, when I bash him, claiming that he’s not imaginary, and he’s totally real, and that we just can’t see him. Sounds a whole lot like that guy muttering to himself in the padded room, if you ask me.

70. ZippyDSMlee says:

Satan is mroe the dark side of the force the IE evil and hatered that lurks within man.

One can litarealize it as an entity but most would be better off seeing it as darker emotions and getting use to  them or addicted to them, as you can see great examples of which in the mile high moral club, we are always right do not dare question us.

71. axiomatic says:

Hmmm who is this Satan chap? I wonder if I need to have him over for tea.

72. Valdearg says:

A high school diploma shouldn’t mean a damn thing ANYWHERE. If you can’t graduate high school, you clearly aren’t smart enough to make something of yourself in the world. Graduating high school is the equivalent of Learning to play a game. It’s like, "OK, you’ve beaten the tutorial, now go out and make something of yourself." If you can’t even beat the tutorial, you are a failure of epic proportions.

Thats not saying, of course, that High School should be easy, either. High school should not be a peiece of cake, by any means. It’s basically the first pseudo-challenge you actually recieve in life, and if you fail at that, your life will almost certainly be filled with even more failures later.

73. Thomas McKenna says:

A highschool diploma means so much in some areas because they’re most likely areas where not too many people graduate high school.  Small towns and the like.  It doesn’t really mean much outside of those small communities that they graduated high school.

74. ZippyDSMlee says:

Which is in part due to funneling money to either over paid under utilized staff/administration or sports….

We need a solid academy system to replace the current stupid EDU system in the US, 80% of any money given to a school is prioritized to learning or the arts,sports is treated as music/arts currently is, the academy system I have in mind works on individual skill and puts them on a multi choice path of learning where their skills go into their first to third tier of skill learning. Teachers are treated like administrators are now the higher the the class score the higher the pay you try and dick with this process you are baned as a teacher on any level and marked as a felon. Collage is seamlessly added into this academy system where personal skill or ability hones their path of education. Only private schools may use any resource for sports and in order to be a private school you have to do twice better than public academy system which will do 5 times better than it dose now, if you can not you lose your private school status. Its a simple as that focus the money get rid of excess and raise up the national eduction system. If the sports nazis can not handle it let them invent clubs based on age ranges with a 50% tax on all profit. Much like separating money from government we need to separate stupid from the school system(not that sports is stupid it just needs less propriety ).

75. Valdearg says:

True, here. While I could read well my entire life, my reading ability and vocabulary increased IMMENSELY from playing games like Diablo, Bauldur’s Gate, and Final Fantasy. I learned more from those games than I probably learned in school, when it comes to reading comprehension and vocabulary. It’s sad that people don’t seem to realize that many games, especially tactical games and RPGs stimulate the brain in such a way as to promote critical thinking and work a developing kids intellect.

Some of the smartest people I know are gamers and D&D’ers. It’s amazing that people don’t see this.

76. thefremen says:

Right I didn’t want to get into it too much but it is just criminal how it varies so much from district to district and state to state. A high school diploma actually means something in some places, whereas in others it’s like a participation ribbon.

77. ZippyDSMlee says:

Satan is both a entity and a "force" those that believe to much will say anything that goes against or mares there way of thinking is "Satan" thus they not only believe to much but are incapable of anything beyond black and white trains of thought, and as you know the world runs on a full spectrum rainbow of contrast..

78. Magic says:

ZippyDSMlee: That’s not quite about Satan though. I was making a point about those beliefs, which I disagree are a result of "believing too much" – Christians believe in Satan in the same way as God (They’re both mentioned enough in the Bible), including, correct me if I’m wrong, even liberal Christians.

79. ZippyDSMlee says:

THus why I said "Of coarse the problem tends to come down to believing to much and thinking you are better than others…..both sides have those kinds of monos running about…."

80. Magic says:

To some religious people, Satan is whatever evil force is attempting to dissuade them from being Christian and\or good.

Unfortunately, it can often be exactly what drives them to be willingly ignorant – science and even facts, or anything they don’t like or where it leads, are instantly dismissed under the umbrella of ‘Satan’.

Otherwise, she’s the usual idiot making strawmen and making ridiculous statements. I suspect she’s of the ilk that hate ‘X’ cultural activity because the children doing it are ignoring her religion.

81. Zerodash says:

82. Overcast says:

Uhh no.

Fanatics – not Christians, don’t stereotype us.

I’m Christian and I play a lot of games, indeed. Including GTA. I don’t think video games are created by satan – last time I checked ‘developers’ did that.

83. Ratros says:

And I’m not arguing your beliefs, I just find it kinda astounding that some attack all religion based off the actions of the sterotypical nuts.  Reminds me of the way the media/politicians attack another group just because some nut job shares their hobby.

84. Ratros says:

Meh, I’m not arguing that there are zealous nuts out there, but you shouldn’t judge everyone by the amounts of the….um…well I want to say of the few, but the vatican keeps popping into mind.

85. ZippyDSMlee says:

Well if you boil it down religoin tries to balance a happy humble life with the harshness and cruleity of the world yes I know this is a ironic statement considering how religion tends to segment and rape but thats not what its meant to do, its humans being humans thinking they are better than others.THose that gain false enlightenment believe there path is the only way and must be forced upon others those that gain enlightenment lead by example.

86. Magic says:

Ratros: Some people disagree, myself included. I believe death is the end of consciousness and that’s all there is to it, anything else is unnecessary speculation or guesswork based on the supernatural.

There’s no point holding out (and holding back) through life in the hope that ‘afterwards’ you’ll be rewarded with some form of paradise. I choose to live for the moment instead.

87. ZippyDSMlee says:

THis is true but it coems down to moderating youerself from thinking you are always right…… man…..religoin has been trolling humanity long befor the net even exsisted 0-o

88. ZippyDSMlee says:

Vlag

meh one can boil down religious philosophy into logical/reason and physiological states, the trouble will always be people who think they know and think they are better than and this happens in both religious and irreligious settings….

89. sharpshooterbabe says:

I hate people like this. Not dislike, but hate! I wrote her a whole sarcastic opinion of what I think of what she said. She is full of shit & I read the whole story of what she said on her site too! Her view of thinking is so farfetched it is ridiculous!

90. Thomas McKenna says:

Wrong here.  Kids are more literate at earlier ages now then 10 and 20 years ago.  The theorized reason?  Video games.  They’re fun, and make reading fun for the kids.

The reason why our schools aren’t competitive (and you really have to specify the state, as some states are, while others aren’t), is because the actual school system.

91. thefremen says:

In a nation where public schools have to choose between books or music programs and access to higher education is more and more difficult I’m certain video-games are to blame for why our nation is no longer competitive with countries where anyone academically viable is able to attend university (and elementary schools are for teaching the fundamentals, not fundamentalism).

Comments are closed.