Out of Touch Mom: Videogames Created by Satan

January 6, 2010 -

A staff writer for the Orange County Register took to her blog for a long-winded diatribe against videogames, even going so far as to say she believes that games were invented by Satan.

While scribe Marla Jo Fisher may be trying to write down to her “Frumpy Middle-aged Mom” tag, and possibly attempting to inject some humor into the article, her anti-game prejudice is no laughing matter.

A parent, she notes that her house is the only one on the block with no videogames at all and claims to have had her anti-game attitude reinforced even more after reading the recent story of a mom calling 911 to get her kid to stop playing games. Most horrifying however, in an event that scarred her for life, Fisher once saw a kid walking out of a library playing a Nintendo DS.

Fisher wonders how the current crop of game-obsessed children will ever learn or accomplish anything:

Here’s my question: When do kids ever think these days? When do they ever have brains free from electronics long enough to ponder the universe? To think of things that might someday lead them to a cure for cancer?

If Sir Isaac Newton had been playing a DS, I’m sure he never would have noticed the apple falling from the tree, so he never would have formulated the theory of gravity.

Of course she finishes with a shot at the Grand Theft Auto series, asking if her kids would be able to learn how to be carjackers or how to outrun the police by playing the game, adding “Those are skills I really want my children to acquire.”

Thanks Andrew

Comments

Re: Out of Touch Mom: Videogames Created by Satan

"Yes, overkill damages. Obesity. Diabetes. Girls so thin you could punch through them. Where are the parents? It's not harmful to play games, it's harmful to play too much. It's harmful to eat too much. Etcetera."

This.

Something that, time and again, anti-video game zealots fail, or refuse, to understand.

Re: Out of Touch Mom: Videogames Created by Satan

Something something Darkside, something something brain power, something something complete.

But in all seriousness, ^.

"If you really want to enslave people, tell them you are going to give them Total Freedom." - L. Ron Hubbard

Re: Out of Touch Mom: Videogames Created by Satan

Time to pay her a visit to her blog...

*prepares sarcasm shotgun*

My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Out of Touch Mom: Videogames Created by Satan

*hands RYG the sarcastic minigun* If your gonna do it, blast as many holes as possible.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Re: Out of Touch Mom: Videogames Created by Satan

Let´s do this

*Marcus Fenix voice / readies the S. Minigun*

Re: Out of Touch Mom: Videogames Created by Satan

Dude I already went there & wrote her a sarcastic message that is going against what she said. She is also on facebook if you want to be sarcastic to her on there too. A lot of people are man.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Poll