Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

January 13, 2010 -

A Florida man has been arrested because he didn't play fair in World of Warcraft.

According to an Associated Press report out of Clearwater, 23-year-old Christopher H. Bouffard was arrested on Monday after he collected $760 from at least two people in exchange for World of Warcraft characters that he never delivered. He was arrested on charges of scheming to defraud and two counts of grand theft.

The incidents occurred in 2008, when Bouffard allegedly solicited the money in exchange for the characters, but cut off all contact with the individuals once he received the money.

He was being held on $20,000 bail. No word on what Blizzard plans to do with his account, or whether he even had one to begin with.

Comments

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

One of my friends I know in the Navy does the same thing but he fulfills his obligations & makes tons of money w/it. Pretty sweet.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

So can be convicted of Grand Theft Auto in the game world then?

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Grand Theft Avatar ;)

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Wow, really? I once had a landlord claim he lost my $2500 rent check, so I gave him another and he cashed both, so I sued him and I got a judgement for $1500 which he will never pay. How do I get him arrested?

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Not to be mean or anything, but why did you not put a stop payment on the original check? If I knew that a check that large was missing, I would have done so before handing over a new check. Sure it would cost you, but not nearly as much as the full written value on the check.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Fraud is fraud... if he's found guilty throw the book at him. Then sentence him...

"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Charge him with fraud, for selling something he did not own. As per blizzard's TOS and EULA, you do not own anything in the account.

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Wait, $20k for stealing $760 total? Or was it multiple individuals at $760 each? I'm not sure but the petty line is either $300 or 3k isnt it? Owell, i never liked the ideo of character selling anyways. Why play a game when someone has already done the work? It's like gold selling, but with gear and experience points as well.

In war, truth is the first casualty.

In war, truth is the first casualty.

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

$20,000 bail, he wasn't charged with $20,000.

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

InfophileI know the ZE series was in the red in Japan, but international series boosted it to profitability. That may not mean it's more profitable in the west, but it does mean ZE3 wouldn't exist without the western market.07/04/2015 - 7:54am
Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am