UK R4 Card Importer Sentenced

UK Resident Yun Can Meng has been sentenced to 12 months in prison after pleading guilty to charges of illegally importing R4 game copier cards into the country.

Meng was arrested for importing over 26,500 of the R4 cards, which allows a user to use pirated content on a Nintendo DS, and was busted as a result of the combined work of The Entertainment and Leisure Software Association’s (ELSPA) Crime Unit, Hull City Council Trading Standards Department and the Humberside Police force.

Meng was sentenced in Hull Crown Criminal Court.

ELSPA Director General Michael Ralinson on the sentencing:

Our crime unit is pleased with the outcome of this trial and pleased to see the Court of Appeal’s copyright judgement is being robustly enforced. Intellectual property (IP) theft is an important issue for the country’s videogames industry – as is protecting it.

axiomatic says:

My favorite part is that when/if we start jailing people for intellectual property crimes we will likely be releasing a violent criminal to make room for this non-violent IP criminal.

Common sense is out the window.

hellfire7885 says:

I wonder how long before you have to buy MP3 players that are prelaoded with music and cant be altered or changed, nor can the battery recharged as adding a port for that would risk hackers finding a way to alter the media o nthe drive.

Heh, for that matter, they may as well move toward outlawing audio speakers. I suppose I better turn in my six CD changer too, as someone might walk i nand hear it without paying for it.

Heh, we may be moving toward a world where if yo uwalk by a store playign music, a guy in a suit won’t let you continueu ntil you pay up, and for every second you’re charged.

Ratros says:

I haz R4, am I criminal?

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

ZippyDSMlee says:

Pretty much and its a shame……instead of targeting the real threats they want to make anything thats not doubly approved and paying twice in licensing fees to be ok’d to sell……

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people!

hellfire7885 says:

Same here. Or if we’re moving toward beign charged to play a game demo. Or there being little counters on advertisements that begin calculatign howm uch you owe them forl ooking at the ad, or how much you owe for watching a movie trailer.

chadachada321 says:

According to Nintendo and every major game company, and the government, yes, you are a criminal :(

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-