PBS Prepping All Encompassing Look at Digital Life

January 20, 2010 -

The Public Broadcasting Service’s (PBS) investigative show Frontline will air a deep look into how digital media and the Internet have transformed human lives and the subject of videogames is featured heavily in the program.

Digital Nation: Life on the Virtual Frontier will debut on February 2 at 9:00 ET. The 90 minute show was produced by Rachel Dretzin, who also created the recent Frontline special Growing Up Online, and will feature commentary from Douglas Rushkoff. Segments include Living Faster, Relationships, Waging War, Virtual Worlds and Learning.

Many individual videos are already available for viewing on the PBS website and a trailer for the show offers a quick overview of what it’s all about.

The Waging War section features game-related topics such as the military’s use of virtual reality training, as well as looks at both America’s Army and the Army Experience Center.

Virtual Worlds contains a cornucopia of videogame segments, including the use of virtual reality therapy for veterans, gaming addiction, professional gamers, violent games, Second Life and about 20 more pieces.

Another cool aspect to the program is that the Digital Nation website launched about a year ago ago in a bid to let users collaborate with the project by sharing their own experiences.

Comments

Re: PBS Prepping All Encompassing Look at Digital Life

I like Frontline. I want to see this show. :)

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: PBS Prepping All Encompassing Look at Digital Life

I coudln't find this o neither of the PBS programs in my channel quide

Re: PBS Prepping All Encompassing Look at Digital Life

Frontline is one of the few newsmagazine shows I still respect. I will try to watch this.

Re: PBS Prepping All Encompassing Look at Digital Life

looks like i better get my dvr fixed up for this one.

Re: PBS Prepping All Encompassing Look at Digital Life

This is a horrible idea. It should be a 12 hours Ken Burns documentary where the camera pans over b/w Goatse pics while nostalgic music plays.

Re: PBS Prepping All Encompassing Look at Digital Life

Nice.  Frontline is one of the few remaining news programs that puts actual journalism above sensationalistic ratings-grabbing and sponsor appeasement.  When the major networks (broadcast or cable news) do a story on games or other tech, I cringe, but I expect Frontline's work to be both evenhanded and well researched.

Re: PBS Prepping All Encompassing Look at Digital Life

This is going to be awesome!  Setting DVR now.  Thanks for the alert, GP!

"That's not ironic. That's justice."

"That's not ironic. That's justice."

Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm