Gamers Petition for Counter-Strike 2

It’s been about five and a half years since Valve released Counter-Strike: Source and a growing gaggle of gamers think it’s about time for some news and action on Counter-Strike 2.

Organized by UK-resident Sam England, the group hopes to goad Valve into issuing an official response on the matter—and to eventually put CS2 into production—by drawing 25,000 members to its Facebook page. The group has already surpassed 2,300 members.

Why the does the group see a need for CS2?

….we want to bolster interest in CS so more people play it, and if we want to regain mainstream attention in the game it needs to be re released as Counterstrike 2. Even if it was just re released with some fixes/patches, additional official maps, a graphical upgrade and a new shiny box… Counterstrike would then survive as a franchise and become popular once again.

England added a few more thoughts:

sharpshooterbabe says:

To people on here that called CS players douche bags, I laugh at you. My brother plays this game all the time on PC online from Steam. & the players on there actually create the levels for others to play. So appearantly they’re not as big of douche bags as the ones on here that don’t like the game & think its crap. One thing I will say about the game is I don’t like the controls. But other than that, it’s cool. Oh does that mean Im a douche bag too?! If so, I have them every month. :)

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

Skillz817 says:

"The most popular multiplayer FPS games on the PC are either non-realistic, less mainstream games or simply very poorly executed ports of console FPS games like Modern Warfare 2. There is no longer a single iconic game on the PC which everyone can enjoy, and play together."

I always laugh at the implications of Counter-Strike being realistic. I haven’t played the game myself but I have watched some Korean tournament vids on youtube and it is far from being realistic, I remember when i signed up to gametrailers forums a while back and I said that Counter-Strike was just as far fetched as call of Duty 4’s martyrdom a few minutes later I was practically getting death threats. I do intend to get CS:S when I buy me gaming pc later on this year (hopefully) because it looks like a fun game it’s just not this ultra-mega realistic shooter the fans of counter strike try to make it out to be.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to overcome it.

Thomas P. says:

Wouldn’t they call it Counter-Strike 3?  Counter-Strike 2 was CS:S.

A second note, CS is a fun game.  Its very simple, but complicated, and has a massive community behind it.   I’m pretty sure Valve is working on CS3, but has so far remained mum, probably to include in a bundle that they did with the Orange Box, having HL2, HL2:E1, HL2:E2, HL2:E3, Portal 2, and Counter-Strike 3

Kendra Kirai says:

‘The most popular multiplayer FPS games on the PC are either non-realistic, less mainstream games or simply very poorly executed ports of console FPS games like Modern Warfare 2. There is no longer a single iconic game on the PC which everyone can enjoy, and play together.’

So…Team Fortress 2 is ‘less mainstream’?  It’s non-realistic, true.  But it’s also a lot more FUN.

I never played the original Counter Strike, and I’ve never played CS: Source.

For me, Counterstrike was *never* an ‘iconic game on the PC which everyone can enjoy, and play together’.

Hell, Voyager Elite Force was more ‘iconic’ to me.  I actually played that online, and enjoyed it.  Stop whining and get with the damn times.  Just because a game isn’t ‘realistic’ doesn’t mean it’s bad.  If you want a quote "realistic" experience, go out and play PAINTBALL.  And if that isn’t realistic enough for you, join the army!

(Also, ‘enjoy together’? Counterstrike was one of the most infamously cheater-packed, foul-mouthed games in existence for a time, before the pool started getting divided between newer games like pretty much anything on Xbox Live.  Maybe that’s enjoyable, sure….if you’re the one doing the cheating and cursing and yelling for no goddamn reason.)

Valdearg says:

"but so ARE EVERYONE IN EVERY GAME. I used to play SOCOM. "

There’s your problem. I’ve noticed that unbearable idiots gather in force to play FPS/3PS games online. Socom, CS, Halo, and COD are all examples of games where the average community IQ is negative.

I’ve actually found that I enjoyed, for the most part, the communities for MMO’s like the Pre-Cu SWG, Eve-Online, and DDO. Games with more complicated character development and group goals tended to be filled with less asshats. Hell, even WoW wasn’t bad, as long as you stayed away from PvP. The PVP community in WoW was actually on the same level of asshattery as Halo morons, if you ask me.

finaleve says:

I think a 2nd…or rather 3rd counterstrike would be a bad idea.  The mod community is crazy things people create are…well fun.  Playing the warcraft mods…the waffle world or even the spongebob level were a blast.

Sure, EVERYONE can be complete douchebag on there…but so ARE EVERYONE IN EVERY GAME.  I used to play SOCOM.  When one of our clan mates commited suicide, there was a group that would make fun of him and would really piss off the clan.  After a couple weeks they stopped after we said how close the clan was..

Moriarty70 says:

Really, we can do this?

Okay, I want a new Gabriel Knight, new Space Quest and new Al Lowe designed Leisure Suit Larry. I figure since all 3 were properties before Counter-Strike was created, they’re due first.

BearDogg-X says:

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra. "Pigs have flown! Hell has frozen over! The Saints are on their way to the Super Bowl!"

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

DarkSaber says:

I suspect Episode 3 is probably gonna become half of Half Life 3 now.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Kendra Kirai says:

Okay, now, see? Now I believe that it was actually said.

I don’t know why nobody else who insisted they said more DLC was coming couldn’t have linked to either one of those.

Jahkaivah says: (Heh, that flamethrower sure was awesome wasn’t it?)

Also, Gabe himself reported he felt Left 4 Dead 2 was a bad move because it went against what he said. He was only swayed when he realise it was what the devlopers wanted to do and he knew they would produce the best work doing what they wanted to do.

Kendra Kirai says:

‘Valve initially said that the game was going to recieve a Team Fortress 2 level of support’

You know, I’ve seen this claim many times in anti-valve rants, but nobody has ever been able to point to a forum, blog post, press release, interview, or anything else about *where anybody from Valve said that*.  When the people who claim Valve said that are asked about it, directly, they never answer, instead choosing to simply say things like ‘They said they would!’ or focusing on another point entirely.

(Note: I don’t play Left 4 Dead or L4D2, I didn’t especially like the game when I tried them, etc, in case anybody tries to accuse me of….anything, really.)

Austin_Lewis says:

CS is also pure unadulterated crap that gave birth to one of the dumbest groups of gamers in gaming history.  ‘LOL HAX!’  ‘DEAGLE’!  BOOM HEADSHOT!

Yeah, what a great game.

Also, DoD source is lame.  Save up your pennies for something worth playing, something with a real selection of weapons that actually act ballistically different.

paketep says:

I haven’t played CS:S in more than 4 years, I’m more of a DoD:S player.

I like to respond to people that pull things out of their ass just the same.

Zerodash says:

CounterStrike still commands a community of hardcore fans, and if I recall, many players rejected the Source release and still play only "old school".  However, the base has been so devoted to the game that there is no way for new players to come in- plus the CS audience is likely to be unfavorable to the idea of playing with anything less than expert players anyway.

Also, wasn’t TF2 supposed to be the next big dominate PC FPS?

Valdearg says:

I was thinking something almost identical to what you said. If ANY game is unrealistic, it’s CS. That said, I absolutely hate CS. I hate the style of gameplay, I hate the lack of balance, I hate the idiotic players. It’s not as bad as halo, but the player community is filled with pompous douchebags.

We’re just lucky that games like CS, Halo, and COD keep most of the douchebags separated from the rest of the online community.

jsutcliffe says:

Good grief. If there’s one thing Counter Strike doesn’t have it’s realism. Unless I missed footage of Western forces battling Iraqi insurgents hopping madly with their knives out, while the sniper stands out in the open surrounded by spray-painted boobs.

Father Time says:

I would support a sequel tp Counter Strike but we do NOT need a remake.

First off there’s nothing wrong with the original, second remakes aren’t really needed unless it’s for rare games or something. We’ll always have the original no matter what Valve does.

paketep says:

Not popular?. Have you seen the steam player stats anytime in the last, oh, I don’t know, 5 years?

Only the POS that is MW2 has been able to best it that I remember. And we’re talking about a 2004 game here!. And that’s CS:Source. Good ol’ CS?. Just behind.

If you sum the number of players of all the CSs you get about 200K people playing right now. Call of Duty *?. 150K. And a fifth of that is people playing the SP portion.

So, yeah, CS is not popular. Sure.

Jahkaivah says:

Not to say this is worse, but honestly people gave the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott far too much grief.

Valve initially said that the game was going to recieve a Team Fortress 2 level of support giving the game the much needed additional Special Infected later on, then when Valve changed there minds they neglected to inform people buying Left 4 Dead (whom of course were expecting the same fun that is had when anticipating Team Fortress 2 updates) this and left the entire community waiting monthes for content, only getting a largely delayed SDK and gamemode and everything else with a price tag on the top. I love Valve, and it probably wasn’t intentional, but that is essentially false advertising.

Heck most people don’t even realise this, they just asumed the boycotters were just greedy and wanted free stuff. And what did the boycotters do apart from produce a funny photoshop of the series logo and say they weren’t going to buy the game? Those against the boycott were far more insulting.

KayleL says:

I remember VALVe was asked about CS2 a few years back. I believe around the time of the Orange Box release. They said if they are going to revisit Counter-Strike, they are going to do sometime different. It won’t be a copy, paste game.

I see there being ultimate customization beyond any shooter has. Counter Strike was always community based, so it would definitely seem logical.

Jahkaivah says:

"There is no longer a single iconic game on the PC which everyone can enjoy, and play together."

Team Fortress 2 fits that bill fairly well, problably better than any other game ever could.

Though by their "non-relistic" "less mainstream" comment I suspect they are playing a bit of a no true scotsmen.

AlexTaldren says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Valve do something awesome and creative with the Counter Strike series.  You know they have the ability to… it’s just a matter of doing it.