Serial Suer Strikes Again

Erik Estavillo, the litigious gamer who has gone after Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony and Activision Blizzard (among others), has turned his sights on the gaming press.

In a complaint filed January 25th in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Estavillo listed,,,,,,,,,,, NBC, FOX and as defendants.

Plaintiff wishes to charge all previously listed entities with libel, as “many of the articles [on these websites] are full of intended insults to the plaintiff.” Additionally, Estavillo is charging and with worker discrimination. Plaintiff claims that emails with these two sites will show that they agreed to hire him as an intern, or unpaid writer. After “a week of silence” from both sites, both indicated an unwillingness to employ Estavillo.

GamePolitics and The Escapist were two sites labeled by Estavillo as being “fair and neutral” to the plaintiff, resulting in the pair not being sued or charged with wrongdoing. is also being charged with barring plaintiff from their forums, subsequently stopping him from “expressing himself in their forums via his First Amendment Right.”

Estavillo is seeking $10,000 per article written “ingenuously” against him and $5,000 per message board thread (specifically mentioned in this category are, and

Estavillo is also seeking to be unbanned from the forums.

GP: While Mr. Estavillo continued to remain active in recent times, we sensed here at GamePolitics that it was time to cut down on, or eliminate, coverage of him.

Erik did indeed inquire about an internship here at GamePolitics as well. Digging though sent items, here is what we relayed to Estavillo exactly:

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but one reason I was cautioning you against all these lawsuits is that your credibility has been somewhat compromised, even as your name becomes "famous." I guess it’s a trade off of sorts.

What’s a little unnerving about the lawsuit is that Estavillo, in emailing us at least, continually insinuated that it was OK for us to make fun of his statements and he really seemed to enjoy being labeled a “serial suer” or “professional plaintiff,” whatever it took to get his name out there and to become more “famous.” I suppose we are just helping his cause at this point, but it was thought that perhaps we could provide a little insight into the situation.

sharpshooterbabe says:

This guy takes the cake! I can’t believe him?!?!?! So what happened to him not having $ to take care of his xbox360 that he said he didn’t have money for?!?!!?!?! This guy is relentless! He will NOT win! Everyone gets discriminated everyday & they move on! People take internships all the time while working & then they get hired & get m ore money for their new job! This guy is something else?!?! College students get internships & some still get paid for it! This guy says he just wants attention?!?! Then damn, go do something stupid & get on the news for it! Then you will have attention!

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

Vinzent says:

I believe First Amendment only covers what speech the government can regulate. Privately run forums are exempt. You can’t sue the pope just because they won’t allow you to preach darwinism in the church.

As for libel, I doubt he has a case. The defendants would have to have made claims against his character that were untrue, and could not have been construed as satire. They are well within their rights to call him a donkey puncher, even if he has in fact never punched a donkey as it is so absurd it can be considered satire.

Historian says:

As far as I know, the First Amendment was put in the US constitution so that citizens could speak out against their government if they wanted or needed to. It never had anything to do with bad manners on the internet.

He can sue all he wants but bad behavior can get you thrown out of public areas in the world. You can’t scream "Fire" in a theater…

Beacon80 says:

I’m not sure which is funnier, his cliché attempt to apply the first amendment to private forums (I used to moderate a forum, so I’ve heard this argument 1,000,000 times before), or the fact that he’s trying to hold the forum owners accountable for the posters’ comments.

Also, IANAL, but in order for a libel suit to go through, don’t you have to prove that the defamation of character causes damage to your professional or private life?  I’m pretty sure if I twittered that I think he’s an idiot, I couldn’t be convicted of libel because nobody in his life cares what I say, or is even likely to read it.

Beacon80 says:

I agree that companies should try to make their products useable to people with disabilities, especially if this doesn’t impact the unimpaired customers (for example, letting color blind players switch from green-red to blue-orange radar blips).

But that’s not the case here.  He weilds his laundry list of disabilities like a shield (or perhaps more like a sword), when they’re not terribly relevant to the case.  He sued PlayStation because they banned him for bad behavior.  He sued Nintendo because they wouldn’t let him use illegal software.  He sued Microsoft because his XBox broke.  And he sued Activision-Blizzard because World of Warcraft took too long.

None of these have anything to do with his conditions.  He claims to use video games to stave off suicidal depression, and maybe he does, but if video games are becoming too stressful to do the job, he should find something else.  I usually don’t use phrases like this, but I can’t think of one that gets the point across better: He wants the video game companies to wipe his ass for him, but that’s no matter what disabilities he has, that’s not their responsibility.

tl;dr version: If he’s aware enough of his problems to sue, he’s aware enough to actually deal with them himself.

Anto103 says:

A man that represents himself has a fool of a lawyer, bet he loses again.

_ _ Pops… If you dance with the devil, the devil don’t change. The devil changes you.

hellfire7885 says:

Not to mention you skip around 90% of the scenery the developers put so much work into making.

Seriouisly, blizzard put in a LOT for people to see while traveling.

Neeneko says:

Though didn’t hat model up in New york just win a similiar suit?

The scary part about cases like this is that hte courts have not reached a consistant stance on how to handle them, so while this guy is not organized enough to be a significant threat, a suit with similiar merits COULD go thoguh if it gets the right judge.

ChrowX says:

If we all got to sue anyone we wanted over hurt feelings and a really messed up sense of entitlement, we’d all be rich.

I hope the judge smacks some sense into this guy or his lawyer talks him out of acting like such a loon.

Thomas P. says:

This guy lost credibility for attempting to sue Blizzard because of World of Warcraft’s game mechanics.

Blizzard has said in the past travel time exists to make the world feel big, if people could instantly port everywhere the game feels smaller.

GoodRobotUs says:

Thought it was more about fame than any real grievance, and he’s more or less confirming it here.

I suppose if nothing else, it does a great job of revealing, in fast forward, the kind of legal behaviour the industry has had to tolerate from a certain, now disbarred, lawyer. On Mr Estavillios’ side, however, he hasn’t celebrated any deaths and tried to claim them as ‘God’s work’.

I don’t dislike the guy, but I do think, if you have problems, deal with them, don’t sit around trying to sue people because they won’t. There’s a halfway point that people with syndromes like Aspergers, Tourettes etc can, and often do meet at, yes, companies need to take whatever reasonable methods in order to be sure that as wide a range of people can enjoy their product as possible, that’s good marketting, but also, people who have difficulties with communicating online, or interacting with a product must also accept that their problem is the exception, not the norm, and that there’s only so far the world will go in accomodating them before they are expected to walk some of the distance themselves.

I only hope that such conditions can be treated more effectively in the future, it’s not the patients’ fault that they have them, but no more is it the rest of the worlds’ fault that they have them either. If you are a religious person, then the buck stops at God, and, whilst people have tried to take Him to court, he’s never once turned up.

Attack_Gypsy says:

Soon enough one of these companies or groups will go after him, and get him declared a "Vexasious Litigant" (sp?) Then he won’t be able to file any more lawsuits. Hell, they’ll even take away any earnings he may get. Ask Graham Berry about that.

Yes, I am a liberal. I also believe in a strong military, less government, and the right to bear arms. Calling an illegal alien an undocumented worker is like calling a crack dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.

Magic says:

Won’t a judge (any time soon) take action against his many frivolous lawsuits and prevent him from taking them? I’m sure I’ve read about that sort of thing in the past, deranged lawyers aside.

ezbiker555 says:

Erik if your reading this, I have some advice for you. Grow up. You’re abuse of the justice system to gain money is disgusting and I would be down right ashamed of myself if I were you. Don’t take this crap from him guys.

Zerodash says:

I presume there must be some kind of parent or caretaker for Mr. Estavillo?  Whoever is feeding him and putting a roof over his head needs to step in…else they are just an enabler at best or a complicit party at worst- just like a certain wife we know of.

Torven says:

Which was pointed out repeatedly during his initial suit when he sued Sony for infringing on his non-existant right to free speech on the PSN and demanded being unbanned from their network…I am beginning to see a parallel here…

Thomas McKenna says:

The first amendment only protects citizens from the Government surpressing freedom of speech.  It has no bearing on individual companies barring his stupidity from posting on their forums.

gellymatos says:

"In fact, I’d say he’s twice as crazy as JT ever was."

Blasphemy!!! No one is crazier than JT!!! Seriously though, he isn’t crazy. He’s just immoral and greedy. He knows that he doesn’t truly deserve money. That or he’s somehow fooled himself into thinking he does.

"Seriously, I’d rather see more news about Estavillo than JT any day.  He’s more entertaining and less"

No, I would still enjoy JT more. Proving him wrong is a lot more fun.

SpiralGray says:

What’s a little scary about this is that sites like SarcasticGamer are being sued. That isn’t really a ‘commercial’ or for-profit site and now they’re the target of a lawsuit that they will potentially have to spend money to fight.

As for Erik, the First Amendment is about the government not being allowed to make laws that curtail free speech. An owner of private property (such as a web site) has every right to tell you to STFU. In case you don’t believe me, here’s the actual text of the amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

MechaTama31 says:

I wish this guy would talk to an actual lawyer.  Somebody who could kindly explain to him that he’s badly mistaken about what the law is, what his rights are, and what things you can sue people for.  IANAL, but I’ll take a crack at it anyway.

"Intended insults": It is totally legal to insult people.  Freedom of speech includes the right to offend people.  There is no such right as the right to not be offended or insulted.  The things said on these sites (that I’ve seen, anyway) seem to qualify as fair comment and criticism, and are not of any of the types that are automatically considered to be defamatory.

Worker discrimination: Umm, no.  Employers don’t have to hire you just because you asked them to, and if they don’t, that doesn’t make it discrimination.

DepecheMode’s forums: The First Amendment doesn’t force anybody to let you use their private forum as your soapbox.  Find your own soapbox.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

So, if I write, here, on Gamepolitics, that "Erick Estavillo is a parasyte and suck ass" (hypotecally speaking, of course ;), he could sue Gamepolitics?

Wow, just wow. That´s a real victim complex, and he is trying to get profit from being insulted on the interwebs. Don´t let him find about Youtube.

My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

black manta says:

And you all wanted to have GP post JT’s press releases while GP wanted to cut down on coverage on this guy?  This guy alone makes up for JT in terms of crazy.  In fact, I’d say he’s twice as crazy as JT ever was.

Seriously, I’d rather see more news about Estavillo than JT any day.  He’s more entertaining and less obnoxious.

nightwng2000 says:

An interesting side note was this article regarding defamation laws in Canada.  I actually saw this Canada story headline at the bottom of the FIFA stabbing story at the same site.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Andrew Eisen says: is also being charged with barring plaintiff from their forums, subsequently stopping him from “expressing himself in their forums via his First Amendment Right.”

Doesn’t matter who says stuff like that, such absurdity always makes me laugh.

Andrew Eisen

sheppy says:

That would be an interesting argument to make given he’s also arguing in the very same lawsuit that his freedom of speech rights have been revoked on a private server, aka

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

Neeneko says:

He could, however, argue that said sites are not covered under freedom of the press.  The courts are still inconsistant on how to handle forums and blogs.

GrimCW says:

has this guy ever read a newspaper?

you can’t sue the reporters and expect to win. freedom of the press has kept the paparazzi in buisness for ages despite constant and blatant invasion of privacy, theft, and slandering.

DarkSaber says:

In other words, GP and The Escapist are the only 2 sites out of the ones listed that actually put up stories about him making him seem a harmless kook, rather than calling him what he is: ***

AE: A bit far for even the comments section.

In fact I’d say at this point GP as at least as much responsible this on-going farce as he is, because they keep encouraging him.

Also: You missed a trick for quoting him saying he wasn’t gonna be suing anymore companies.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

Of course not, why do you think he’s suing them. "NOW THEY WILL GIVE ME ATTENTION!!!111"

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

PHX Corp says:

How many times he’s going to get it through his head they dont want to be sued

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

DarkSaber says:

ANd now we have Elmer Fudd. "Be vewy vewy quiet. I’m suing websites"

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

PHX Corp says:

I remember the metro Moron in South florida being made into the Wile E. Coyote of all lawyers

Valdearg says:

Lol. Even better, SUE him for taking your Idea! I mean, you created The Frivolous Suit, and he’s using it to become internet famous! Clearly, he stole your idea!

DarkSaber says:

And WHY does he keep suing? Because sites like GP and The Escapist are turning him into a sit-com character, something he WANTS.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Valdearg says:

This guy is an idiot of epic proportions.. Yes, someone runs an unflattering opinion peiece about you, because you are making an ass of yourself with laughable lawsuits. What’s the answer for this guy’s lawsuit happy ass? SUE SOME MORE! CLEARLY, that’s the right answer, here.

Someone should counter-sue his dumb ass and put him so deep in debt that is great-great-great-great grandparents feel it in their graves.

What makes it MORE unbelievable is that he actually applied for an INTERNSHIP at several of the places where he had the unflattering stories written about him. Who the hell does he think he is, and how the hell is he able to afford to continue filing these court documents, despite not being a productive member of society, in the slightest?

gellymatos says:

The thing about the press is that they can be as biased as they want *cough*Fox News*cough*MSNBC*cough* as long as they don’t tell BS. The moment they say something that is demeaning and factually false, they can be sued. However, you can’t be sued for opinions. Otherwise, Keith Olberman and Glenn Beck would be broke by now.