Estavillo Drops All Suits

We will have to find a new nickname for professional plaintiff/serial suer Erik Estavillo, as he is dropping all his lawsuits.

Estavillo wrote that his medical conditions, particularly symptoms related to panic disorder and Crohn’s disease, contributed to his decision to abandon the cases. He indicated that the long wait for cases to be heard was starting to get to him, causing his doctors to advise him to walk away from the lawsuits in order to improve his health. Estavillo also provided us with some individual reasons for dropping each case, mostly due to those being sued making improvements or fixes which seemed to appease Erik.

Estavillo had sued Sony over being banned from the PlayStation Network following Resistance: Fall of Man online gaming sessions. He had alleged that Sony was ineffective at stopping players under the age of 17 from playing the game and that banning him from the network amounted to theft, in regards to his PSN pre-paid points. Estavillo wrote that a signup page for PSN appears to have been added, which requires a parent or master account to add a new account to a PS3, addressing his concern of younger kids playing the game.

Erik has also sued Microsoft over a red ring of death on his Xbox 360 and Nintendo over a Wii system update that rendered his homebrew channel unusable. Estavillo said he just learned that Microsoft is not charging 360 owners to fix a console that received a RROD and that he has found many websites that would easily allow him to re-install the home brew channel if he so chose to do so.

A suit against World of Warcraft maker Activision Blizzards had alleged that characters in WOW walked to slow, thus enabling the game’s publisher to continue to reap monthly subscription fees as it took long periods of time just to travel in the game. Estavillo notes that now, it appears that WOW avatars walk much faster in Ghost mode.

Another factor in dropping the suits was that Estavillo could not afford to pay the process server fees needed to serve the people he had subpoenaed for some of his cases. Those subpoenaed by Estavillo had included Bill Gates, Winona Ryder, Depeche Mode’s Martin Lee Gore, Lady Sovereign and Krayzie Bone.

Estavillo will also drop his most recent case, which targeted a variety of gaming and popular websites for libel.

28 comments

TaoJeannes says:

It is poetic justice that now he has to deal with an asshole of his own.

Dinger says:

So he openly says he found ways to bring back his illegal channel which is a violation of the TOS for Wii. I hope if he does decide to start using it again to pirate stuff as he had in the past, that Nintendo of America "bricks" his system, and THEN takes him to court for piracy

sharpshooterbabe says:

He must be a dumb f***ing idiot. He does have something mental going on in his head!!!!! But this is what really gets me is that he was willing to sue for so much $, & now he can’t afford to pay the subpoenaed people!?!?! That is like putting the cart before the horse. He seriously needs to get a life & look for solutions to the problems before he opens his mouth & makes himself look more stupid than he already is, & then people make fun of him for it.

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

Baineblade says:

Well, I just spent about an hour typing up a reply only to find that once again, I have come far too late to come to the fight.  Thanks a lot new editor guy.  You are REALLY not impressing me much anymore and I’m starting not to like GamePolitics.  Seriously, four or five days late with news that happens over the weekends, NO postings on the weekends of important stories, NO warnings to clean our language up, just HUP and close the thread instead of actually sitting down and asking us to be freaking polite to each other.

Anyhow, this is by far not the last we’ve heard of Estavillo, he will most likely end up doing something else to regain the spotlight just like Jack Thompson.  I truely do not believe he suffers from many of the afflictions he has, ESPECIALLY agoraphobia.  I personally feel he is a fool for having even attempted such actions and that the State of California should persue a filing of frivilous lawsuits against him and bar him from ever filing lawsuits again.

Bang, You’re dead.

OmegaWarrior says:

I seriously hope that this jagov either comes to his senses or learns the hard way what happens when you sue everything that moves because you think there’s money in it, or because you have some juvenille lust for validation.

Valdearg says:

Holy hell, man.. Sorry to hear you lost an hour of work. Regardless of what side of the fight you would have taken (Judging by the rest of GP, it probably would have been against me), it always sucks to lose work like that.

Stick around, though. I’m sure I can rile up some controversy somewhere in the near future! 😛

JonahFalcon says:

I seriously hope he gets psychiatric help for his problems. It might be better to step away from gaming altogether for a year. Get centered before you engage in a mentally disruptive activity.

Austin_Lewis says:

Oh yes, now his illnesses are so serious that he can’t wait a bit for a lawsuit where he would have probably had his pocketbook raped by some good company (whose shares I would IMMEDIATELY have purchased).  What a great way of weaseling out.  I hope that wherever he’s interning, they quickly catch on to exactly what kind of wannabe conman they have working for them (he’s not a real conman you see, as they tend to actually be GOOD at lying, instead of being transparently trying to generate some name recognition).

Erik Estavillo is a waste of space, air, food, and tax dollars, and GOD WILLING, when California goes bankrupt, they’ll cut funding to leeches like him so he can starve to death.

Arcanagos says:

LOL "His doctors advised him to walk away from the cases to improve his health"?  Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t it already pretty much been established that he’s lying about his "conditions", or at least the severity of them, for an excuse to act like a complete and utter moron?

Nah, I think he’s finally realized he’s doing nothing but embarrassing himself, and likely emptying his wallet if those cases went through, and just made up a story to make it seem like he’s withdrawing his cases for another reason.

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end." – nightwng2000

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Don’t drop coverage on Erik.

—————————–

"A Chrono Trigger is anything that unleashes its will or desire to change history!" -Gaspar

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Please don’t. I’m interested in learning more about this fool.

—————————–

DarkSaber says:

Does this mean that GamePolitics will now drop all coverage of this fuckwit? I won’t hold my breath.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Erik says:

You see Mr. Estavillo, as I know you read sites such as these, if you sue for something so completely asinine as walking speed in an MMO and a site such as Kotaku calls you a fucking idiot it is not a matter of libel.  Rather I would think that it would be a point of fact.  As such your picture would be at the very top right of a Wikipedia entry on fucking idiots.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Moriarty70 says:

This is a really fun way of backing down. Everything is "fixed" now just like it was before he learned about them. All this is followed up by him mumbling "and I can’t afford it".

Just goes to show that even men with debilitating conditions do things that seem like a good idea at the time.

lordlundar says:

It sounds to me like someone with a law degree finally went up and metaphorically smacked him upside the head by telling him that if he continued with this "sue everyone" idea of his he would be buried.

Zerodash says:

I know you’re reading this Estavillo, and all I have to say is you are one of the most pathetic people I have ever heard of.  Some free advice: TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN PROBLEMS.  The world doesn’t and shouldn’t revolve around you and your problems.  Asshole.

Thomas McKenna says:

So…his excuses for dropping the cases was that now there are a bunch of "fixes" to the problems he had, despite the fact that all of these "fixes" were around long before he ever filed his suits.  Awsome.  He’s a jackass.

The two that I find hard to see how he justified after the fact are the RROD turn ins, when Microsoft has stated many times that there is a 3 year warrenty for all of that, and the WoW "now spirit walking is faster" excuse, when ghosts have always moved faster in that game.

Magic says:

Seems like a strange resolution to his activity. Even then, there is something mentally wrong with the guy. It’s not rational to sue so many companies for what I consider trivial issues (Not that no one ever does this, though).

I still wonder why there hasn’t been a legal measure to stop him doing so frivilous lawsutis too.