After Discussion Paper Responses Are Received, What Next?

Public responses to Australia’s R18+ Discussion Paper are due on February 28. As that day nears, GameSpot takes a look at what might happen following that date.

According to the Federal Attorney General’s Department, once February 28th comes and goes, they will compile the responses into a report for the Minister of Home Affairs Brendan O’Connor and other state and territory Attorney Generals (including Michael Atkinson).

GameSpot reports that “A spokesperson for the Federal Attorney-General’s Department would not be drawn on what effect an overwhelmingly positive or negative public response would have, stating that O’Connor and the Attorneys-General would merely use the report to ‘inform their decision whether Australia should have an R18+ classification for computer games.’”

O’Connor himself told GameSpot that he had not yet formed a final opinion on the R18+ discussion.

If a R18+ category was to be added, it would require amendments to three federal classifications. The changes would require the unanimous consent of all state, territory, and federal Attorneys Generals, including Atkinson.

Thanks Ryan!

TBoneTony says:

Well we will see how this turns out.

20th of March is the day, so whoever is in South Australia needs to vote for Gamers4Croydon or the Australian Sex party or the Free Australia party or even Liberal if it comes down to the 2 major ones.

If Atkinson does not lose his seat, then that is the only other alternative is for the Liberals to win in South Australia.

Then we got to rely on the liberal party to pick an Attorney General who is NOT a prick like Atkinson.

HarmlessBunny says:

Well that is in consideration. Atkinson recently launched a VERY controversial and rather draconian law down there, that the people have told him to repeal it immediately. It caused some strong humiliation to his credit and to his party. The official opposition as well as a good score of folks have demanded that Atkinson’s party and/or his boss sack him.

Though I doubt Atkinson will be fired, he has had quite a bit of unreversible damage to his reputation. This is just happening before the election. He is going to get far less votes than he expects. In fact at this present time, he may not get voted in period (I can hope).

sharpshooterbabe says:

I also read on the Kotaku site that Atkinson may be fired b/c he said some guy (forgot his name) he actually did meet in person said he was fake & lived meters from his office. So we’ll see how that pans out.

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

Roh02 says:

the government serves the people not the other way around they better damn well listen to the people.

stuff like this never lasts even if we have to wait for atkinson to die of old age and for gamers to be so great in numbers that pretty much everyone in the government are gamers it will be over thrown its simply a matter of time.

TBoneTony says:

Moving out of Australia after I finish university in 2012,

if I happen to find work in Australia then I will work my way to find work in another country like Canada or Japan.

In any case, there will not be much use of me living in Australia if everything I love in Anime/Manga on the internet is blocked and if I can’t buy stuff online because of Amazon and EBay being blocked, and if small boobs are banned,

Well, even if we do get an R18+ rating, it still won’t change that there are some really good Dating Sim games that I would love to get that I can’t get if the internet is blocked.

Good luck to the gamers like me who want an R18+ rating for games, but it will only affect the gamers who love western games, not the japanese games that I like.

funkyj says:

it would require amendments to three federal classifications

I don’t see why this is such a big deal.

After all, Atkinson constantly creates new and amends existing laws to suit his own political needs…

axiomatic says:

Daer Federal Attorney General’s Department,

This is your big chance to be taken seriously. Don’t screw it up by alienating a large chunk of your over 18 populous just because they happen to like games.

Let’s be adults and actually let the adults make their own decisions.

GoliathWon says:

He already said he would block it anyway, because he has already decided that the only people who would respond are gamers (ie, people who are actually affected by this issue)

HarmlessBunny says:

Sadly I do not see Atkinson bending. He will block it, regardless if the findings are that the Austrailian people are pro-R18+. He will continue holding down basic democracy and it will be forced upon by election time.

Tis my guess anyways. Sadly don’t see that old dog learning new tricks.