Study Reveals One Less Headache for Game Industry

February 10, 2010 -

scanners headacheA study into whether or not videogames, along with other electronic media and devices, cause headaches or migraines in adolescents ultimately determined that there was no link between the two.

Medical News Today details the study (PDF), which queried 1,025 kids between 13 and 17 years of age. 489 of those interviewed claimed to suffer from headaches, while the remaining 536 indicated no such affliction. Comparing the groups, researchers found no deviation between the two when it came to television viewing, electronic gaming, mobile phone usage or computer usage.

The study concluded:

With respect to the current debate on adverse health effects of electronic-media use, we cannot point to systematic effects of single media types nor on specific types of headache which might predominantly be caused by the use of electronic media.

The study did suggest a casual link between daily music intake and headache suffering however.

Comments

Re: Study Reveals One Less Headache for Game Industry

I have had chronic headaches for the last 10 years, and playing games or sitting at a computer for longer than 30min at a time triggers them.  Its all about posture- the presence of electronics is irrelevant, as the same happens when I sit to read books.  I havent read the study, but I hope posture was also considered.

Re: Study Reveals One Less Headache for Game Industry

Tell that to all the people who watched "Electric Soldier Porygon" when it came out. Please stop all this half-assed psuedo-science.

Re: Study Reveals One Less Headache for Game Industry

the problem with that episode was that it caused seizures with rapid flashes, not headaches or migranes.

Re: Study Reveals One Less Headache for Game Industry

although that lead to some actual scientific breakthroughs:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/06/990601080722.htm (discovery of a new subtype of epilepsy)
http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/news/20040721/pokemon-seizures-linked-epilepsy-not-tv (those with no history had existing underlying conditions that put them at risk)

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Re: Study Reveals One Less Headache for Game Industry

Logically, from an Engrish standpoint, shouldn't that be 'Erectlic Sordiel Porygon'?

Re: Study Reveals One Less Headache for Game Industry

HA "erect"

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Study Reveals One Less Headache for Game Industry

I'm sorry but comparing interview results barely qualifies as a study, and only an idiot would conclude there is absolutely no link based on word of mouth.

This "study" is about as thorough, scientific and conclusive as that bloody Supernanny one with the pencils and violent games.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Matthew Wilsonand yes they went way way over budget from what I read.04/27/2015 - 12:33pm
Matthew Wilson@AE if they cancaled it there would be massive outrage, but people tend to be ok with a delayed game.04/27/2015 - 12:32pm
IvresseBleh, can't edit shout on my phone :-/04/27/2015 - 12:32pm
Andrew EisenHell, the Kickstarter itself raised WAY more than DF was asking but I saw no accusations of impropriety.04/27/2015 - 12:31pm
Andrew EisenA little over three years later (two and a half years after the estimated delivery date), the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter finally delivered the game. Oddly, I never saw anyone accuse Double Fine of scamming or conning anyone.04/27/2015 - 12:30pm
Ivresse@PHX Corp: Not only that, but Konami have just delisted themselves from the NYSE:http://polygon.com/e/8267934?utm_campaign=polygon&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter04/27/2015 - 12:28pm
Matthew Wilsonwhile I felt bad for everyone outside the US who wanted to watch the HOTS finals, the fact it was on espn 2 in prime time is a major major step forward for video games.04/27/2015 - 12:14pm
james_fudgeThanks Papa!04/27/2015 - 10:43am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/its-official-silent-hills-is-cancelled-1700379816# It's Official: Silent Hills Is Cancelled04/27/2015 - 9:48am
Papa MidnightI also hope that legislation holds the individual(s) who initiated the action is criminally liable for any and all harm that may come to persons involved (whether it be the cops or the victim(s)), as well as any property damaged suffered by any party.04/27/2015 - 8:16am
Papa MidnightJames: Small typographical error in the article for the NY Congressman's legislation: earlier is misspelled as "earlkier" (context: "Chuck Schumer (D) earlkier this month.")04/27/2015 - 8:14am
Matthew WilsonUC berkeley won, and they 3 years of free tuition for winning.04/26/2015 - 11:26pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://espn.go.com/watchespn/…/id/2497649/Heroes-of-the-Dorm heroes of the storm is being broadcast live on espn 2 never thought a moba would get a time slot like this on tv.04/26/2015 - 9:30pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://reason.com/archives/2015/04/09/the-dmca-chill-factor this is why the dmca should be changed or gotten rid off.04/26/2015 - 6:41pm
PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm