Attempt to Link Alabama Shooter with D&D

The University of Alabama professor who stands accused of killing three of her peers last Friday is now, of course, linked with a popular role-playing game.

The Boston Herald, citing a source, claims that suspected shooter Amy Bishop was a fan of Dungeons & Dragons and actually met her husband at Northeastern University through an on-campus D&D club. The source told the paper that “They [Bishop and her husband] even acted this crap out.”

Bishop’s husband, James Anderson, described the pair’s immersion in D&D as a “passing interest.” He added, “It was a social thing more than anything else. It’s not the crazy group people think they are.”

The Herald reached deep down to offer the following insight into the topic of D&D and its potential influence on players:

Some experts have cited the D&D backgrounds of people who were later involved in violent crimes, while others say it just a game.

Another Herald piece paints Bishop as slightly unhinged, detailing an incident in 2002 at an International House of Pancakes where Bishop allegedly punched another woman in the face for taking the restaurant’s last child booster seat.

Thanks E.Zachary Knight via the Shoutbox!

Morte says:

University of Alabama IN HUNTSVILLE.

The Chargers

Blue and White

Can we please start getting the names of the Alabama universities right? Every time something happens at UAH or UAB, they end up being called Alabama.

There’s a reason UAB picks the acronym and UAHunstville takes the weird way.

Please, please please please, understand, there is no University of Alabama campus in any city other than Tuscaloosa. If it says Birmingham or Huntsville, it’s NOT the Crimson Tide.

Furluge says:

I’m not terribly surprised by this. Here in Virginia, in 2000, when I was in my computer science class I was told I couldn’t make a game about going through a maze filled with monsters and traps, because they didn’t want any "Satanic Worship" in school. The teacher that said that had me for a Pre-calc class that she flunked me for, yet I passed the entrance exam to skip that course in college and move right on to Calc. Coincidence much?

They only go after hobbies that they can marginalize. They’re not allowed to use women or minorities as scapegoats as blatantly as they used to so this is what they’re reaching for these days. I’m waiting for them to finally just come out and say that all nerds are evil sociopaths ala Dexter or something.

DubiousKing says:

The media needs to stop throwing these scapegoats around whenever someone does something crazy. They’re just in constant denial that people can do crazy things despite any outside influences. Before citing D&D as causing violence and unstable personalities, these "experts" they refer to should actually look at the game and witness a session in person to experience what it’s like before they make such wild assumptions.

Breathing Sucks: Not evil, not misunderstood, just angry

chadachada321 says:

It’s like the cops that will shoot someone that they "thought" was carrying. Most of the time you’ll see a very obscene number of bullets shot, so many that the officer would literally have to RELOAD SEVERAL TIMES during the course of the shooting.

This woman was totally guilty. She’s clearly crazy.

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

Austin_Lewis says:

Firing a pump shotgun 3 times is not an ‘accident’ in any sense of the word.  That’s like claiming that I accidentally shot someone with a bolt action rifle after firing it 3 times.  The pump didn’t work itself, she worked it, and killed her brother.

Austin_Lewis says:

Which she was supposedly charged for but never convicted of, which is a fucking shame because assault also disqualifies one from firearm ownership.

Isn’t it fucking HILARIOUS how the same liberal jackasses who won’t shut the hell up about ‘gun control this’ and ‘gun control that’ let people off the line with their bleeding heart bullshit and don’t prosecute them for felonies (this chick, Cho-Seung Hui being 2 easy examples) and then these people come back, get a gun, and do something worse?

Man, for all the talk of keeping guns out of the wrong hands, those anti-gun individuals sure don’t seem to be able to figure out whose hands are wrong.

Zerodash says:

Yeah, the more that comes out about what happened with her brother, the more it sounds less like an accident.  The newest reports also say she punched a woman in the face because they took the last child booster seat at a restaurant.

As always, these people are always crazy- regardless of any hobby or political affiliation.

Nucleic Acids says:

3.5 is absolute and utter crap compared to 4th. I seriously do not understand how people can still play that broken piece of garbage now that something that is self-evidently better is out.

SeanB says:

I look at 4th ed as a completely new game. We still play 3.5, rifts, and a little tri stat sometimes, but when it comes to D&D, we dont think 3.5 OR 4th, we use them both depending on what kind of campaign the DM wants to run.

DorthLous says:

Advanced or 3.5, none of those 4th Ed terrible changes.

At least when WoD or Shadowrun make a new edition, it improves nearly all over, not worsen nearly all over… Well, except for the story in WoD, the new one is really a level under the old one, albeit still good.

USMC Colonel James Slate says:

Gonna sound weird coming from an army dog, but 3.5 is where it was/is at

-Idiots, the lot of them – SSGT -Yeah, but they’re our idiots – ME On the topic of congress

Austin_Lewis says:

She ‘accidentally’ shot her brother multiple times with a pump-action shotgun, from my understanding.  I’ve heard variations of the story of WHY she got off, but it covers the spectrum from her family was well to do and politically connected so she got off to she got off due to incompetence of the Attorney General who decided not to prosecute (by the way, that AG is now a congressional representative from Massachussetts).

With the pipe bombing, I’ve heard pretty much the same thing.

I’ve also heard that she allegedly held up a car salesman in an attempt to steal a getaway car.

Sounds to me like once again, a lot of people dropped the ball, no matter how you look at it.  Allegedly, they closed the investigation on the shooting before the coroner or a ballistics expert got a look at the body, ignored the mother’s written, sworn testimony that she had earlier argued with her brother violently before she allegedly shot him and instead used a version of testimony taking from her claiming she argued with her father.  The whole think looks like a fuckup from start to finish, and she should’ve never been let off for killing her brother, much less allowed to buy another gun and do it all over again.

Zerodash says:

It’s so weird how this shooting has been presented.

There are sources that say she is also a far-left nutjob who worshipped the president…which is getting picked up by right-leaning outlets (OMG Obama causes violence) and ignored by left-leaning outlets (all killers are only right-wing).  Then, it is revealed that she killed her brother in an "accident" and had ties to a pipe-bombing.

Now it seems that the 80’s favorite scapegoat is back in the mix.

Of course, had this shooting been perpetrated by a student, it would have been games. (I don’t doubt a certain kook already had a press release set to go as the initial reports came in.)

Will we ever get to the point where the media will place any blame/responsibility on these types of people?

SeanB says:

YAY! my 1st and 2nd favorite past times are both turning me into a deranged, desensitized, serial killer!

Anyone else playing 4th ed? my group just started a few weeks ago.

saregos says:

Personally, I hope they catch my 2-year stint in a Catholic middle school.

— Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known

SimonBob says:

It seems like it’s always D&D.  I hope wh- err, if I’m ever arrested for a noteworthy reason, the newswriters do their research and print that I used to play Rifts in high school.

Zero Beat says:

Did you wear a hooded robe?  If not, that’s what you did wrong.  If you did, they cheated on their saving throws.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Beacon80 says:

I DMed for about 8 years when I was younger, and none of my players every joined a satanic cult or gone on a killing spree.  I even got them in their malleable teenage years.  What was I doing wrong?

hellfire7885 says:

…… seriously, some idiot is dredging up this old boogeyman? This is as stupid as citing Doom, not doom 3, but the original Doom as a factor i na murder