PSA: Beware the Proliferation of Satanic-Themed Games

The latest threat to the world is the recent explosion of satanic-themed videogames, which serve up God and Christianity as targets.

An article in the Philadelphia paper The Bulletin decries the rise of such games under the headline Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents. The article hinges mostly on the opinion of one “avid gamer,” a 32-year old (coincidentally) named Lance Christian, who states that this “problem” has “been going on for the last 10 years,” but has come to light even more recently, “especially in the most recent games.”

Christian states:

I feel that the devil has a new tool to work with in this age of technology, and the majority of adults in a position of responsibility are left in the dark.

Christian offered a list of recent offending games, complete with descriptions:

• Tecmo’s Deception: Invitation To Darkness–Players “make an unholy pact and sell their soul to Satan in exchange for power” with the object of the game being to ensure the resurrection of Satan and obtain his power.

• Nocturne—A game in which the hero (a demon) destroys the three Archangels St. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, then goes on to destroy God.

• Shadow Hearts—The hero uses his power to intercept and destroy God and “save the world.”

• Dragon’s Age Origins—The game revolves around the story of God going mad and cursing the world. A witch attacks believers and players can “have sex” with her in a pagan act called “blood magic” so she can “give birth to a god.” Another scenario allows players to have sex with a demon in exchange for a boy’s soul.

Other offenders include Dante’s Inferno, Guitar Hero, Devil Summoner, Koudelka, Trapt, Bayonetta, and Darksiders.

The article also offers that:

Michael Chandra says:

Basically Satan is like that little voice in your head nagging you can go ahead and steal that candybar because nobody is looking. You yourself decide whether or not to follow that voice.

gellymatos says:

Christians believe that Satan, in the long run, is responsible for sin. Do we think that it somehow means that people themselves aren’t responsible? No, a person is still responsible for his actions. So, those who are religious are crazy, is that it? And we don’t have any crediblity for being religious, right? You still haven’t chosen your words well enough.

Glasofruix says:

Well, maybe i should have chosen my words more carefully but when i hear/read someone telling that satan is responsible for the bad decisions we make i can’t help but think "Ok, let’s leave before the crazy spreads" i mean it just ruins the person’s credibility.

chadachada321 says:

I call it ALL mythology unless it has significant evidence to back it up.

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

Erik says:

I’m fighting off some insomnia right now so I may post a more content filled reply later.  For the moment my response is: Horseshoes and hand grenades.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Erik says:

Eh?  Why would you want to win a person’s respect back in this situation?  Personally there are times I go out of my way to make a person I dislike/disagree with to lose as much respect for me as possible.  So I make sure that Austin Lewis for example has as little respect for me as possible.  It would be a really embarassing situation if someone like he would have any respect for me whatsoever.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

E. Zachary Knight says:

So you actually believe there is an invisible horned devil thing that is secretly influencing society and individuals?

I believe that Satan is real and that he influences people to turn from God and break his commandments (sin) yes. Do I believe he is cloven hoved and horned? No. If you were to see him, he would look just as human as you or me.

No, I do not think you are a hethen. I think that you are lost spiritually. As for punishment in the enternities, that is a bit more detailed than I can explain here. But in a nutshell, you not believing in God is not a going to end you up in eternal punishment.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Erik says:

Wait, so you get to act in a condesending fashion with the whole "being afraid these of superstitious people remark", but then you act as though calling you a religious nutjob is somehow uncalled for?  No, if you are going to take the low road don’t fault someone for not taking the high road.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

CyberSkull says:

I’m pretty sure that’s not how blood magic works in Dragon Age.

But on topic, while there is a valid point here, the author piece comes across as a rant, and there is quite a lot wrong with the research and citations. For each game listed, a correct portion of the game that supports your argument must be cited.

And for the people harping on The Divine Comedy, keep in mind that it is a political allegory with no real basis in biblical scripture.

Liz Surette says:

It’s a pretty obvious analogy though. You have the religion that most people in Ferelden go by, then you have the different splinter groups that have a different interpretation of the Chant. Then there’s the backstory about the two different Chantries (like the Great Schism). And also, the Chantry spread’s the Maker’s teachings throughout the world thinking that the Maker would return if they did, and some characters in the game questioned that as just an excuse to proselytize. To be fair, the part about Dragon Age (the Maker being an analogy for the Abrahamic God) was pretty accurate.

gellymatos says:

DAMN!!!! That was well done, as well as hilarious.

In all seriousness though, you’re right, Chandra. To generalize, stereotype, and assume things about others we don’t understand makes us no better than those who do the same to gamers.

Michael Chandra says:

You made false claims about EZK just because he had the decency to answer some questions. Just because he’s religious, you went and spew bullshit about how according to him you’d be a heathen who will suffer eternally for not believing in God one day. Have you at any point taken the time to check whether or not he believes that? Has he said a single thing indicating he believes that? I’m perfectly willing to recall EZK answered your questions, but I’m also recalling you did not ask him if he thinks you’ll burn in hell for not believing, and I’m also recalling he gave no such reason for you to believe so.

Me calling you a religious nutjob was sarcasm. The comparison made after that was to show you’re, in my book, behaving as silly as fanatic christians. Part of it was that you didn’t care about finding out what EZK’s beliefs regarding non-believers are but jumped to conclusions instead, same way many fanatic christians tend to jump to conclusions (in my opinion) about anyone they disagree with.

Anyway, since you ignored the reasoning I tried to do, playing a sort of devil’s (God’s?) advocate, I’ll just stick to getting actually offensive.

Seriously, what? Uttering complete lunatic stuff about ALL Christians? Man, you sound as bad as those nutjobs who think that atheists aren’t capable of having morals because they don’t follow the ones God gave us. No offense (I’m sure you’re a nice person), but this is the kind of stuff that makes me afraid to befriend or even interact with atheists.

You can call me names until the Big Freeze, but I’m not the only person who finds certain anti-religious beliefs and crazy Thompson-leaps of logic to be unsettling.

Father Time says:

It sounds like another EA marketing ploy.

Notice at the end he just lists satanic themes. Yes dante’s inferno undoubtedly has a satanic theme, however they protray Satan and Hell as evil and bad, so why complain?

Also one of his games is for the original playstation. If you have to go back that far to get examples I don’t think it’s much of a problem.

Father Time says:

Monte says:

" I know that, me being an atheist, you think I am some kind of hethen who will be punished eternally one day."

Wow… really? just… really?

THIS is the kind of talk that can easily make me think a lot of atheists who harp on religion don’t really know anything about religion and base most of their thoughts on the zealots that pop up in the media and a few bad encounters. You note that someone believes in the devil and automatically conclude that they also believe that atheists are heathens who will be damned to the pitts. That is just so incredibly ignorant.

seriously 10 to 1 says that thoughout your life you have had plenty of friends who were christians that believed in the devil and all that jazz, but never even realized it because you never actually talked to them about religion(i know i never talked about religion with friends growing up)… you just assumed that they didn’t because they didn’t try to pound their religion into your head (i had one roommate which took me months to realize he was going to church every sunday night)… and these same people would have thought nothing less of you if they were aware that you were an atheist

gellymatos says:

Well, technically, assuming there is a God or you believe in God, Satan does bring about the temptation for sin and sin itself. There are things that portray "sins" so to speak, such as books, movies, videogames, and other forms of expression or art. So technically, assuming their is a God and Satan, he is indirectly responsible for such ways of expression. Does that mean all things that mention or feature in anyway are evil? Of course not. Some things indirectly involve God or some "holy" person or object. Does this mean said form of expression is blessed in some way? Of course not.

Zerodash says:

Wow, calling me a religious nutjob.  Good call.

Also, if you recall, I asked a series of questions about belief and the devil, and EZK answered.  I asked, got answered, and gave my two cents on it.   I’m fucking entitled to my opinions on religious supestition (sp?)- even if its not politically correct and I’m not running through the fields holding hands with Christians.

You can call me names until the end of time (or the rapture), but I’m not the only person who finds certain religious beliefs to be unsettling. You mention the 6K Earth age, which tells me you are familiar with that line of belief and reject it.  How would you like it if I called you names for denying Creationism?

Michael Chandra says:

Now you’re just being a rude religious fanatic nutjob.

I mean, seriously, you immediately jump to conclusions, you’re convinced the other side is insane, you use empty rhetorics to cover for a lack of reason, that sounds pretty much like a rude religious fanatic nutjob to me.

Does EZK believe in that people with a different opinion about faith, whether that be a different line, a different religion, different teachings to abide, or full release from religious burdens and carrying one’s own conscious as their main lead in life, will be punished for this by the Lord? I’d guess not, but you could ask him if you doubt, not jump to conclusions.

As for the Devil influencing people, isn’t that the same as God influencing people? We’re talking something akin to an invisible force which brings with it mental and small physical influences of the entire world. People make choices, decide whether the consequences are worth the benefits, having a little voice in your head nag it’s worth the risk, or that you wouldn’t like it much either, is easily capable of tipping a scale. I’m not talking a Job here, with one of the ‘devil’s advocate’ angels convincing God to test Job’s faith with big physical events, but small mental influences, or that stone you trip over and puts you in a bad mood or saves your life. That guy cutting you off, in turn making you cut off that other guy who promptly goes Postal at work. It’s the little things here, really.

And let’s face it, a lot of society is rotten. Believing that the Devil’s temptations helped shift it that way, contributing to its nature, isn’t that strange for a group who also believe there’s an afterlife and good will come to those who do good. Is it normal for someone to think "he’s just a nobody, who cares whether he gets in trouble or not?" about others? I know I tend to have discussions in my head where I berate myself for being intolerant, so what is the part of me that is intolerant? Is that human’s nature, being selfish, or does it get encouraged by a little voice that isn’t me? We tend to believe that we come to our decisions, whether they be good or evil, all by ourselves, but if you believe in a higher power, then having that higher power influence us invisibly, unnoticed to even those influenced, hardly is that strange a concept.
    Yet more important, it merely tempts us, attempts to influence us, it is us who decide whether or not to abide it, both in the little and the big things.

Disclaimer: I believe we cannot prove God’s existence. I believe we cannot disprove God’s existence. I believe that if God were to exist, then that not everything is part of His plans, He simply rolls with it and lets us take our own responsibilities, and Judgement has not to do with what religion you are, but what kind of things you’ve done and supported. I believe that what we do is controlled by our own human nature, and that cruelty has a human heart.

But most importantly, I believe in reason and logic, and hope that everyone will use that as much as possible, which includes both religious people (no, Earth isn’t 6k years old, God merely put his chosen people onto the Earth that already had humans on it, making them the chosen people amongst the rest of man, read the bloody book better) and the rest of us (so we don’t believe in taking the bible literally, doesn’t mean they can’t take some life lessons from it by taking it philosophically, and we could at least not bash everything they say just because they believe in something bigger).

Ratros says:

I chuckled.  And this is why people have such a hard time giving religious people the benefit of the doubt on this site.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Dejiko says:

I’m genuinely surprised he didn’t include Disgaea.

***Spoilers ahead!***

Since you play as the overlord’s (the leader of the netherworld) son, trying to become overlord himself. In the course of the game it is said that demons can be good and angels can be evil. Not to mention that you end up invading heaven and, at least in one ending, killing the seraph.

Zerodash says:

No offense (i’m sure youre a nice person), but this is the kind of stuff that makes me afraid to befriend or even interact with Christians.  I know that, me being an atheist, you think I am some kind of hethen who will be punished eternally one day.  It also scares me shitless that someone would be convinced society and individuals are influenced by an invisible cloven monster.   You people literally scare the crap out of me…again, I’m sure you’re a nice guy, but damn…

Arell says:

Three hours after I created an account on the website and posted a scathing but non beligerant comment, and they have yet to post ANY comments at all.  I always hate sites that "review" reader comments for inappropriate content.  I can never tell if they’re just slow, or deliberately cencoring any posts that are negative towards the journalist or their publication.

Arell says:

Ah, but if you call it mythology, then you inadvertantly admit that it’s "myth."  So they create a new word for it.  Theology.  See, if you tell a fantastic story that’s supernatural and impossible to prove, what it’s called depends on your perspective.  If it’s YOUR religion, then you call it theology.  If it’s someone else’s (or a dead religion), then you get to call it mythology as a way of putting it down.

E. Zachary Knight says:

I am saying that media that glorifies sin or degrades morality is the product of Satan’s influence not only on the creators of the media but also on the cumsumers of said media and the culture in which they live.

I am also saying that Satan’s influence on culture throughout the world is so pervasive that almost no one is aware of it. They just assume that it is "normal"

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Zerodash says:

So you are saying the belief is that these games would not exist had it not been for Satan?  And the developers of these games are being influenced directly by Satan, but are not aware of it?

Notebook says:

I find it pretty funny they have Nocturne and Devil Summoner and yet they don’t have any of the Persona games, which fall under the same SMT banner. While you’re not fighting demons, I would imagine that they’re just as blasphemous as you can summon Satan to fight enemies. Granted it’s not the actual Satan and more of personafication of him but still.

Although I guess they’d be more guilty of encouraging premarital sex than anything…

E. Zachary Knight says:

As a christian I have some answers for you.

1) He is involved in the creation of a number of media in the sense that he influences those creating them to create media that glorifies sin or degrades morality.

2) Most likely not.

3) No. They most likely don’t know they are being influenced by him.

4) Participating in activities that glorify sin or degrade morality can influence impressionable people to do things they would not other wise do. But most often it weakens the spiritual connection one has with God making it more difficult for God to influence them for good.

5) Yes it does. What you chose to do is your choice alone. Just as it is not your friend’s fault for daring you to steal and you do it, it is not the Devil’s fault for you doing what he influenced you to do.

Satans’s goal is to convince as many people on this earth to turn away from things of God. he does so by influencing us in many ways, through the media we consume, the friends we chose even down to the nagging voice in our heads trying to tell us to do something we probably know we shouldn’t.

Not all Christians will share the same outlook on things that I do, but if you ask any active Mormon the ywill tell you pretty much the same thing.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

hellfire7885 says:

Not to mention the allegations that playing the record backward was either satanic or telling you to kill yourself.

For one thing, these people hear that as that’s what they’re looking for. ANY evidence, no matter how small that they’re right.

And it begs the question, why? Why would a big name or even underground band whose source of income is they fanbase, want their fans to die? I know Iron Maiden joked that if they could do sucha thing they’d be telling their fans to buy more merchandise, not off themselves.

Cheater87 says:

How could he leave out the grandfather of all "Satanic games" Doom? Haha I remember people were flipping out over that game with all the pentagrams and upside down crosses. XD

vellocet says:

This guy seems far too well informed to actually be offended by these games.  Tecmo’s Deception was a great game and his description is pretty on the mark.  But it’s one of those obscure games that almost nobody played.  You had to play it all the way through to get the plot and he obviously did.

Monte says:

Well technically, in Academic study, the term "mythology" is not meant to mean that the stories they are talking about are false. though i say technically in that sometimes people DO intend to insult with such comments.

Erik says:

The funny thing is people like him always try to turn and twist the lyrics of bands in order to try to work some sort of Satanic meaning out of them.  And while they are doing so they completely and outright seem to ignore the bands that straight out admit to being Satanic.  And I’m pretty sure none of those groups are in any Guitar Hero game.  Most of those are pretty much semi-underground Death Metal groups.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Magic says:

The answer to most of your questions is "probably", but I can’t really speak for these people. Satan seems to be the usual theistic boogeyman who gets the blame as the source of ‘evil’ or aspects of life that they don’t feel comfortable with.

At any rate, I think we’re facing the same weak argument involving moral panic as seen in the 80s with metal music and (amazingly) Dungeons and Dragons. Some people really should call out that paper for doing so. It’s crazy that anything dark or mysterious is somehow equated with the ultimate explanation of evil. Personally, I’ve always seen the media that’s been mentioned (Games, metal music and D&D at least – oh and don’t forget Harry Potter) as people fighting and conquering evil. Even Iron Maiden were blamed in Brazil as being Satanists (they’re not) when Number of the Beast came out – if you read the lyrics or see the album cover, you’ll see it’s nothing like that whatsoever!

One viewpoint I like is, actually, from Alice Cooper, who is a Christian. In the awesome documentary Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey, the subject of the occult and Satanism is brought up – Cooper says the devil is subtle, he’s the guy you don’t suspect and who attempts to lead you astray. He’s not literally a huge destructive demon!

gellymatos says:

Damn it, Mr. Christian!!! Shut the hell up before you give all of us other christians a bad rep we don’t deserve or portray beliefs that we don’t have onto us!!! Seriously, it’s this crap that pisses me off!!! Which then leads to people bashing religion for the acts of a few that then get me more pissed off!!!

Nagaina says:

And that’s a pretty awesome and total mischaracterization of the actions of DA:O‘s god-figure, the Maker, while we’re at it. The Maker doesn’t go mad and curse the world. The Maker is massively affronted when the eldest of his creations — the first sentient dragons — declare themselves gods and set themselves up to be worshipped in his stead. He casts them down, curses them, imprisons them below the Earth, and punishes humanity for being weak enough to turn away from him. Humanity learns magic from the imprisoned dragons, now calling them the Old Gods, and invade heaven in an effort to claim the power the Maker for themselves, affronting the Maker a second time and bringing a second round of punishment down on humanity in the form of the darkspawn and the Blight. Then a prophet appears to lead humanity in rejecting the power of magic to rule human destiny and return the worship of the Maker to its proper place as the sole true religion. She is betrayed and murdered but the church she founds — the Chant of Light, or the Chantry in the vernacular — spreads across the world, asserting the doctrine that humanity needs to abase itself properly before the Maker and beg forgiveness for the collective sins of generations past in order to regain his favor. The Maker has thus far displayed himself rather disinclined to forgive humanity no matter how hard they grovel.

In short, the religion of DA:O is pretty much a thematic point-by-point comparison to monotheistic Christianity, right down to the Maker being a pissed off, petty, unforgiving Old Testament style douche-god.

axiomatic says:

Hey Mr. Christian, which "god" is the "one true god" again? Oh right, YOURS.

Why do religious people have such a hard time separating fantasy from reality? It boggles the mind.

David says:

I came here expecting the usual shrieks of rage whenever somebody points out the obvious, and I wasn’t disappointed.  There’s even a smarmy atheist with a "mythology" comment right at the top.

Oh, Gamepolitics readers, don’t ever change.

Erik says:

Um, yeah.  So Dragon Age doesn’t take place on this Earth in this universe.  So the Maker is a god but not God, so I fail to see the relevance.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

hellfire7885 says:

"5) Doesn’t blaming the devil for everything "bad" or "offensive" in the world take away responsibility form the people who are perpetrating them?"

Why do you think they even do that in the first place?

hellfire7885 says:

….. if I remember right, the Doom series and Dante’s Inferno both mention these religious figures, but in both cases you’re fighting AGAINST the forces of hell. If it was as this guy claims, in Doom you’d be slaughtering humans instead fo demons.

And most other games make no mention of religion at all.

deuxhero says:

Hey! At last someone notes Megaten in their satanic games thing. Funny how they don’t mention that Naoki also joins Lucifer in one ending (though I don’t fault anyone for having difficulty getting that ending).

And you don’t have to kill the archangels. You can also side with the bat shit insane chick.

Zerodash says:

Can someone PLEASE explain to me this Christian belief that pieces of media, etc can actually be created as a tool of the devil?

1) Are they saying that Satan is actually actively involved in the creation of said things?

2) If so, is he posessing the bodies/minds of the people who make them?  For instance, would the director or lead programmer of Bayonetta be posessed by Satan?

3) Are the people behind these games/media considered to be "servants" of the devil?

4) Exactly how is playing a game with these offensive themes helping the devils cause?

Cerabret100 says:

Bayonetta? it’s kind of obvious that it uses a different set of beliefs where angels aren’t good and demons aren’t evil, but simply two different sides.

Heck, the angels you fight aren’t even working for god, they’re under the service of the lumen sage. and judging by how they’re willing to attack cereza in several parts, and rip apart Luca in the end, they aren’t exactly holy.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

And this is why less and less people don´t care about christian religion. They are just too busy with stupid and irrelevant topics that they don´t bother to check the real world anymore.

Yes my lord, you DIED for these idiots. It´s just sad.

———————————————————— My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

Soldat_Louis says:

The article hinges mostly on the opinion of one “avid gamer,”

I have the feeling that this guy called the journalist just to make fun of her.

It reminds me of the "grunge mania" 20 years ago, when Nirvana had a huge success. So-called "grunge" artists and writers were so upset by journalists that they started telling them any kind of bullshit, just to see if it would be taken seriously, without the singlest verification. And it was. For instance, when interviewed by a journalist who wanted to know how to "talk like a grunge", an artist just said anything that came into his mind… and it was literally reproduced in the newspaper as the ultimate "grunge glossary".

The artist (don’t remember his name) commented : "if journalists are too dumb to take seriously everything they’ve told, they deserve nothing but being laughed at".

NotSoHardcoreGamer says:

As a Catholic, I think this is just a rant.  It’s rubbish. Whether you’re a believer in religion or not, part of life is distinguishing fantasy and fiction from what’s real or important. Now I understand that non-believers will make that same accusation of us Christians and the like, but at least give us the credit that we know how to make a finer distinction, as in this case.

I only have Dragon Age: Origins, so I can only speak about that.

First, I agree with the Maker of DA:O being a reference with the God of the Old Testament.  But he wasn’t crazy in DA:O, but reacting to a rebellion of his creations, a revolt against an order or harmony that he put in the first place.

Second, I also agree with the guys saying Lance Christian would probably look down on the C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia and the like, especially with its own reference to pagan mythology and folklore.  There’s really a lot there that’s honestly meant to be representations of wonder and the imagination that would rile any fundamentalist’s sensibilities, nevermind that Lewis was also a Christian.  You could even say the same of Lord of the Rings, as J.R.R. Tolkien’s work is actually quite dark and doesn’t even mention a God of any sort (you’d have to read the Silmarillion for that).

Lance shouldn’t just stop there.  He should go so far as enter not just Dante’s Inferno but also John Milton’s Paradise Lost.  As an epic poem that keeps the Christian tradition intact, it’s long been noted that Milton painted the Devil as a more sympathetic character than God.

As a fantasy reader and fan, I have to point out that most fantasy is modeled after a medieval world filled with knights and kings and dragons and quests.  This setting includes the Christian religion in churches, cathedrals, priests, bishops, etc.  Lance Christian should realize that the creation of most high fantasy settings, whether with an intentional inclusion or exclusion of a Christian religion, whether accurate and similar or distant and transformed, is only natural as far as imagining, designing and setting up that world is concerned.  I think most fundamentalists see these elements being used and immediately assumed it’s a corruption of their beliefs, whether or not it is actually so.

Lastly, where there’s a choice to take up Morrigan’s offer in DA:O, he neglects the fact that it is a CHOICE. The player decides whether to follow through with it or do something else.  To be offended by being offered such an option is ignoring the fact that we, whether believe or non-believer, all have to make choices between right and wrong, good and evil everyday.  It’s there.  Live with it.  Obviously, don’t do something you think is wrong.  No need to go off like that because it doesn’t help.

Longjocks says:

"Game publishers are cashing in on the satanic, anti-Catholic and the general anti-religion content themes and using them as a draw for buyers."

OR… It’s simply awesome fiction to base entertainment on. Movies, comics and books have been using religion and the supernatural for decades before games came along. The fact that Darksiders gets an honorable mention is hilarious considering it has done its best not to specifically name a religion and uses lore and characters from more than one to create its own story.

There are more offensive band-wagons out there which people are jumping on. Try shitty movies based on 80s cartoons or rappers/techno "artists" blatantly stealing retro melodies just so their butt-rubbish is instantly recognised.

sharpshooterbabe says:

Mr. Christian is someone who doesn’t play many games. Of course he wouldn’t know what Nocturne is.

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

DarkSaber says:

Failure to even reference the game by its proper name ftl!

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Grifter_tm says:

I think they’re referring to the SMT 3: Nocturne by Atlus. Good game for those who don’t masturbate to ANY religous icon as it features dieties from almost all cultures. Aside from Christianity it shows Buddhism, Islam, Hindu, Judaism even old Hawaiian dieties.

SeanB says:

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is a role-playing game for the PlayStation 2.

The player takes control of a half-human half-demon silent protagonist whom the player names.

DarkSaber says:

Nocturne? The 1999 survival-horror game on the PC that has absolutely nothing to do with what he describes? You don’t even play a demon!

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

gellymatos says:

Catholic here:

I really don’t think that "militant" is an appropriate name for people like him. Militant implies extremist. He isn’t an extremist. He isn’t killing anyone. He’s just a d-bag. There needs to be a name for atheist d-bags. For religion, it’s usually fundamentalists. You are right though. We need less d-bags on when discussing beliefs on anything and on both sides of anything.

JDorfman says:

It’s probably more likely due to the character, Lou, in GH 3 who was revealed in the last tier to be the devil.  Charlie Daniels condemned the use of his song in the game over the fact that Lou was difficult to defeat, thus the devil usually wins unless the player is really good at the game.  Quite personally, though, Mr. Christian seems like he can’t distinguish fictional characters in a video game and people in the "real world."  I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

axiomatic says:

Athiest here:

I dislike Dawkins. His whole desire to have more militant athiests I think is counter productive. The last thing any religious argument needs is more intractability from either side. So please do not hold Dawkins up as the athiests savior. I think he can be a down right douchebag when he wants to be.

Im_not_Herbert says:

"Expelled was a dishonest hack job"

Eh, maybe it was.  Maybe the people in film overstated things to make their point.  Maybe the people who run the website you linked are doing the same thing. (I found one misrepresentation on that site straight away, but I will not say that that invalidates it altogether.)  It’s hard to say in an age where truth takes a backseat to wining the argument at all costs.

Even if every single one of them is a liar, I can’t help but think that the statements in the film of the evolutionists themselves are telling.  I used to have a great deal of respect for Richard Dawkins, but after recently hearing statements he has made and seeing his blathering in that film, that respect is gone.

Your Yak is Weak!

Spartan says:

WTF? Those title are good wholesome entertainment in my book. —————————————————————————

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Im_not_Herbert says:

And here we go again with all the Christian bashing.  I really, really hope you Angry Athiest types never, ever, go to

And while you are not at, please do not, under any circumstances, watch the documentary "Expelled".  The meltdown Richard Dawkins has at the end is priceless…

Your Yak is Weak!

David says:

Deception actually had a few games in the series.  The idea was to set traps and kill intruders before they could either get away or cut you to little pieces.  The first one, as near as I can tell, was the only one that involved the devil in any way.

Fun games, though, as you could find all kinds of ways to combo your enemies to death with your traps.

chadachada321 says:

I have never heard of the first 3 games, but damn, now I want to play them!

Tecmo’s Deception: Holy crap, sounds like the Christmas Critters episode of South Park. Sounds awesome.

Nocturne: I’m a demon, and I kill angels. Again, sounds awesome.

Shadow Hearts: Destroy God to "save the world"? Sounds like that new movie called "Legion." Sounds just as cool.

Father Time says:

To be fair you do unlock Satan (or some guy named Lou who looks a hell of a lot like Satan) in Guitar Hero 3.

Arell says:

I’m assuming it’s because the song selection includes "the rock and/or roll," which is the devil’s music?  Or maybe because one of the avatar choices is a skeletal reaper dude.

SpaceGhost2K says:

Thank God for the First Amendment that this guy can say what he thinks right along with the rest of us. And Thank God that you have the free will to decide whether he has a point or not.

Multitudes of Christians would love to have an engaging video game to call their own. The problem is that it’s very tough to make a game when, by definition, your hero is unbeatable. The same thing that makes Superman games suck makes God games suck. A Christian lifestyle is pacifistic while video games need to be action oriented.

There used to be a song called "Why Should The Devil Have All The Good Music?" He’s got all the movies and video games, too. Deal with it. While I think Christians deserve to have as much fun as the next guy, and that includes my hobby of choice, the video game, I think that when it comes down to righting the world’s wrongs, there have to be three MILLION choices more pressing than video games.

If you want to do good works for God, go work in a soup kitchen. Are you going to report upon your demise, "I really let those video game people have it, God!" God’s gonna say, "So what?"

Sajomir says:

I’m a Christian and I can tell the difference between when a game references my religion and when it references a fictional religion. (even if the fictional religion is obviously inspired by Christianity) I don’t care for some of the things done in, say, Dante’s Inferno, but I understand it’s a game, and that they can’t just go and spout sermons and expect it to do well.

Fictional worlds need fictional mythos.

I mean, FFS, this guy should HATE the Narnia books, even though they’re completely allegorically Christian stories. But oops, the people worship a lion. Or the Screwtape Letters, holy crap. Those are supposed to have been written by a demon, instructing his "nephew" how to better screw with humans.

Arell says:

It’s interesting to note that most of the "gods" in those games are not the Christian God, or even monotheistic gods.  These fictional gods of fictional religions, many belonging to a pantheon, are just incredibly powerful beings who, from a mortal’s perspective are called gods because no other term seems to fit.  And to be fair, most of them are epic pricks that punish for no reason or try to destroy everybody.

It’s also interesting that God of War III didn’t make that list, even though the premise of that game is to storm the home of the gods and kill them all.  But that’s ok for a Christian, apparently, because you’re storming Olymus instead of Heaven, and these gods belong to a real historical mythology.  So of course killing these gods are ok, because they’re not "true" gods.  Which brings me back to my original point, most of those games have fictional religions.  So why is he getting his panties in a bunch?

deuxhero says:

I’d wager that he is talking about *deep breath* Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army (if he wants to get rid of this satanic game I’ll be happy to take it, I can’t find the first game). Though he could be talking about Soul Hackers for all I know.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Oh, my God. What is this bullshite? I mean, seriously, "Mr. Christian" (if that truly is your name), I think you’ve been sucking fumes for too long. Please stop oversimplifying games to fit your messed-up agenda.

Get help…please.

P.S.: "Devil Summoner"? He wasn’t talking about Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor for the DS, was he? Or am I wrong?

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." — Ben Franklin

Game on, brothers and sisters.

Arell says:

Thirded.  At least for the Dragon Age one, that’s a really huge plot twist, and player choice you have to make near the end.  It’s like being told the ending of a suspense thriller movie before you go see it.

Wraith108 says:

Dante’s inferno is a bit of a wallbanger to be on that list since you play a Crusader and Satan is your enemy. IIRC the plot of Darksiders is similar since War fights against both sides, I’ve not played it so correct em if I’m wrong. Bayonetta uses it’s own mythology and doesn’t mention Christianity or Satan. Guitar Hero being on there is just hilarious too.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Er……… dears… ever thought that the Christan mythos can be used for fiction and all that inaction and subtlety of god and angels is made out to be hevan is courpted and someone has to walk through the remains and set things right? Gaaaa…you guys never herd of the repentant  fallen who fight for justice?….sheesh…..I swear any Christan or follower of Religion© that blatantly walks in ignorance and arrogance works for satan, or whatever great evil you people are suppose to be opposite of.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people!

sharpshooterbabe says:

I do beleive there is God & Devil. But to talk about being on the list: Dante’s Inferno. Mr. Christian needs to read the poem of The Divine Comedy, which I don’t think he has yet. & yes, hell & the devil & demons hate crosses & God & good angels. Yes there is burning crosses. WOW! What a complete idiot. What did he think the game of Dante’s Inferno would be? Rainbows & butterflys & fairies having fun making tea & crumpets & playing ring around the rosie?!?!?!? NOOOOOO!!!!!! LMAO!!!!! & Darksiders is based off of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. & Bayonetta just kills angels, b/c she’s a witch. So would that mean that he would be defending Wicka? I wouldn’t think so, but ya never know.

This guy needs to do his homework more.