Update on R18+ Petition

A story on Monday detailed the submission to the Australian government of an EB Games and Grow Up Australia sponsored petition advocating the addition of an R18+ rating category.

Well, it turns out that a larger number was missing from that story, as over 30,000 people hand-signed the petition in EB Games retail outlets reports Adelaide Now. Combined with the 16,000 plus who virtually signed the document online, the petition was submitted with over 46,000 citizens backing it, a rather significant figure that hopefully Australian politicians will have to think twice about before dismissing.

Steve Wilson, Managing Director of EB Games, stated:

This groundswell of support has proven in no uncertain terms and once and for all, that there is not just a minority calling for this change, but rather everyday Australians.

Thanks HarmlessBunny!

GrlGmr says:

Actually, that’s a significant number for a petition. Especially if they were only collecting signatures at EB stores. I’d like to see other retailers down there get involved also.

DorthLous says:

Well, do you vote on everything you can, sign every petition, assist at every protest?

Most people are lazy beyond reason, yet if given a choice, will let their belief (of the moment at least) shine through. If 2/3 of those feel strongly enough to act on it once a vote come or something and are only 1 tenth of the voices, you get a percentage before the comma, which ALWAYS get the attention of politicians…

HarmlessBunny says:

That is 46,000 potential voters.

Maybe the country has 21,000,000 however not all of them are registered voters :)  I am hoping all 46,000 are and can put a dent in Atkinson’s riding.

Any party would be pissed off if the actions of one man alienated that many people and would cause them to vote for the opposition. Atkinson is already in deep trouble with Rann’s office, and this is just adding to his long list of embarassments.

HarmlessBunny says:

LOL!!!!!!! Love the pic, Zippy!

You know…if Michael Atkinson was a drooling zombie who wants to ravage your body into undead-chow, he would probably be more likeable :)

Mr.Tastix says:

I won’t be surprised if he pulls that old card out, it’s not like someone else we all know never did.

Simple fact of the matter is that if he tries to pull that old schtick he’ll be met in force. My argument is quite simple and is the same as it has always been: Would Atkinson prefer me raping and murdering real people to satsify some twisted "need" to do or would he prefer that I get my jollies off raping and murdering people in a video game?

I condone such things like RapeLay and "murder simulators" not because I am an advocate of such acitivities (I would NEVER tell someone to rape somebody else and to think I would is pretty damn insulting and quite frankly, rather disgusting) but because I would rather see people play these games than actually go outside and rape someone. Can Atkinson say the same?

— Randi Tastix

Zerodash says:

Atkinson has a predictible playbook.  Soon he will make a statement about how all those people support rape and murder.

Still, its nice to see Aussies fighting the good fight against censorship.  Now, turn up the heat on internet censorship while you’re at it!

Mechadon says:

*sigh* this means nothing to Atkins-diet man. He said before that only gamers will care, so only gamers will vote. This number in his eyes is only how many pro-violence gamers there are. We need numbers that proove, to him, that his stance is agiant the Australian people. Australians need is some sort of "Parents for a 18+ Rating" campaign. Enough of the gaming population are parents themselves, concerned for there own children, that it could make it work.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

Australia is really are becoming an example for the rest of the people interestend in games and its industry around the world. They are really getting togheter for a common goal.

This is far from over, but at least they won´t be ignored so easily as in the past.

Now I really want to know what is Atkinson gonna to say. I want him to screw it really good as he totally blowed it up with the "non-existant" blogger who critizice him a few weeks ago.

By the way, I´m amused how The Adelaine Now shows a picture of Left 4 Dead on the note.

Left 4 Dead 2

The title could just be "Pro-violence polls reveals 46,000 potential serial killers in Australia". I know they wish to.

———————————————————— My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

HarmlessBunny says:

It is a start. It is now known that it is not just a handful of kids. A growing voice of over 40,000 people is a hard thing to ignore. Atkinson can chant his usual rhetoric but it this is now being noticed Nationally.

What is even better it is now hurting Atkinson’s popularity. Recently he has done more harm to the party than good. The Opposition has demanded that the Prime Minister sack him. Not looking good for Atkinson.