Online Game Hopes to Cause Real-World Changes

March 2, 2010 -

An online game launching tomorrow will attempt to spur players into making headway against some of the world’s biggest problems.

CNN details the game, entitled Evoke, which is billed as an entry in the “alternate reality” genre. Developed by the World Bank Institute and designed by Jane McGonigal, the game will last ten weeks. Over the course of that time period, participants will be presented with new challenges and will attempt to make headway against the challenges in real-life. For example, if a current challenge involves famine, players might try “to provide meals for someone in their neighborhood.” Once they have documented their real-world actions, via a blog post, photo or video, they will receive credit for finishing the mission and can receive additional awards and rewards from fellow players.

Upon the game’s completion on May 12, players who complete all 10 challenges will be named a “Certified World Bank Institute Social Innovator – Class of 2010.” The best players can also receive travel scholarships and “online mentorships with experienced social innovators and business leaders from around the world.”

While anyone in the world can play Urgent Evoke, the game is designed for people in Africa, a place, which it’s noted, has less Internet access than anywhere else in the world. To that end, the game has been designed to work seamlessly on cell phones as well. So far 3,500 people have signed up to play the game, 400 of them from Africa.

CNN also has a short video up in which McGonigal gives an overview of Evoke.

Comments

Re: Online Game Hopes to Cause Real-World Changes

This is good for the public to realize games can be used for good.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Online Game Hopes to Cause Real-World Changes

Oh, another one.

That reminds me, what happened to that Red Cross alternate reality game they trumpeted as one that would cause real-world changes and was promptly never heard about again?

Also, they note that Africa has less internet access than anywhere else in the world, but assume cell phones are commonplace? And not only cell phones, but cell phone network coverage? Haha!

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Online Game Hopes to Cause Real-World Changes

Celphones ARE commonplace in Africa. They're not assuming, they did some research. Doctors are also using celphone networks and camera phones for a new form of medical diagnosis

Poll