Six Days in Fallujah Completed

Atomic Games President Peter Tamte indicated late last year that his company was “committed” to finishing the controversial Six Days in Fallujah videogame and it appears he has remained true to his word.

A story on IGN, citing a “source close to the game’s development,” reports that the game has been completed, though a release date for the game, or publisher, was not disclosed.

Konami had initially backed the project and was going to serve as its publisher before a series of negative public reactions to the game became public. The families of military personnel wounded or killed in the Iraqi war, and even some soldiers themselves, believed that it was too soon for such a game to be released, as the war was still ongoing (and indeed still is today) at the time of the announcement.

Other groups expressed dismay over the project due to heavy civilian losses reported in the real fight over Fallujah. Additional reports that insurgents may have helped contribute to the game’s development did nothing to lessen the controversy surrounding the title.

Konami eventually bailed on Atomic Games and Six days in Fallujah in April of last year, citing negative reactions to the game.

Thanks Andrew!

Kojiro says:

Good for them!

I always hated how there is a time limit on someone’s death.  Like "we can’t talk about this because it happened too recently…"  Five minutes later… "okay, we’re clear.  Those people’s lives are now less meaningful to the general public, so we can go ahead and make a bazillion games, movies, and TV shows about it."

Ambiguous says:

Huh, I was wondering about this.  Found this on a website I often check to see if theres anything I feel like going out to buy.

Probably just wrong information though, this website isn’t always right on.  For instance, it makes no mention of FF13 for the PS3, just because they already mentioned its Japanese release last year.  Yet they mention its 360 version, despite it obviously being multi platform.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

By the way, I forgot to write that is a good thing they didn´t abandoned the project. Just let´s hope they can find a distributor (Rockstar sounds like a good idea, but the obvious one. They have been a little low profile lately).

———————————————————— My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

Neeneko says:

I think I am less intersted in the game, and more about the post mortum (assuming it is published).  I want to know what impact the consulting with actual insurgents had on the story or gameplay.

So rarely in a conflict is a voice given to ‘the other side’.   It is too tempting for most people to write it off as ‘they are inhuman monsters, we have nothing in common with them, there is no side only evil’… which tends to boost public moral during the war, but leads to decades of problem afterwards.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

The only question I got is if this game is gonna be good? Until now, we just got the whole polemic and classical whinning from the anti-games and anti-war crowds they can produce for a damn game. That´s good, because it draws attention.

But if the game is just bland and dull, then it doesn´t even matter if is in honor of the fallen soldiers on that battle.

———————————————————— My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

DarkSaber says:

I fully anticipate this being nothing more than "Gears of the War in Iraq".

Although given Atomics history with the Close Combat series, they might pull a surprise.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Chaplain99 says:

Aaaaaaaaaand now that we’ve all gone through the "No Russian" fiasco, I guess that means we’re ready for "Six Days," right?

Hey, I’m game.  ^^