Playing Wii Sports May Well Help Depressed Geriatrics

Another day, another medical condition that using Nintendo’s Wii may help to alleviate.

Researchers at the Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine believe that the Wii can assist people with symptoms of subsyndromal depression (SSD). A pilot study conducted on 19 SSD-afflicted participants between the ages of 63 and 94 years of age had users play a Wii Sports game on the console three times a week for 35-minutes intervals reports Science Daily.

Study lead, Dilip V. Jeste, MD, reported on the results:

More than one-third of the participants had a 50-percent or greater reduction of depressive symptoms. Many had a significant improvement in their mental health-related quality of life and increased cognitive stimulation.

Jeste cautioned that the study needed to be expanded to larger samples and control groups.

sharpshooterbabe says:

This is a really good idea. Now if they could just have more Wii’s in other institutions or hospitals for SSD patients…….

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

Mr.Tastix says:

Ooh, you’re good! Calling me an idiot online! Congratulations, how do you feel?

That was sarcasm, I hope you could tell.

— Randi Tastix

DarkSaber says:

Get back in your hole idiot. This has site has ALWAYS covered more than just straight-up gaming in politics.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

SimonBob says:

I’ve just come back from the alternate dimension where video games really do cause violence, and they’re all up in arms over there because Dr. Jeste used a small sample with no control.  I tried to get them to notice that he admitted it straight up and nobody had to drag his methodology out of the back of his research notes, but they’d already moved on to putting firecrackers in their ears.

DarkSaber says:

The good to god-awful ratio an ALL the consoles is ridiculous.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Flamespeak says:

It’s a good thing the Wii is bring joy to all of these people, because it sure isn’t bringing joy to the folks that bought it for a solid gaming library. Not saying it has no good title, but the good to god-awful ratio on that system is ridiculous.

Then again, it appears to be the console of choice if traditional gaming isn’t you bag.

mdo7 says:

What do you know? More Wii-health related news.  I have read many Wii and Health news for the last few month.  I’m wondering how Natal and Playstation Arc (the new motion controller for the PS3) may contribute health benefit.  I like to see what Fox News, Jack Thompson and all those video game basher see what they think of this now.