Ubisoft Denies DRM Scheme Has Been Compromised

Ubisoft is denying claims that their new (and controversial) DRM technology has been breached by crackers.

CVG (via Kotaku) received a message from Ubisoft, which was responding to rumors that their just-released Silent Hunter 5 PC game had already been hacked. “You have probably seen rumors on the web that Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked,” wrote the company, continuing, “Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete.”

The message was also echoed on Ubi’s Twitter feed.

Cracked versions of the submarine game on torrent and file-sharing websites appear with instructions that users must only “Install game and copy crack, it’s that simple!”

Ubisoft’s DRM technology requires a constant connection to the Internet and has been the object of scorn from gamers around the world.

Additionally, while Ubisoft’s Assasin’s Creed 2 won’t be available to PC users until March 16, ShackNews already has an update for the game available, one that alters files to enable gamers to pick up where they left off in the game in the event of an Internet disconnection. Previous reports on Ubi’s DRM tech indicated that any disconnection from the Web while playing would result in a player losing all current progress and see them forced to pick up playing from their last save file.

Thanks E. Zachary Knight!

23 comments

Conster says:

Actually, my store is saying "Thanks for purchasing the game 2 days ago :)". Anyway, Shacknews having a patch isn’t quite as impressive when you realize the patch can be gotten through the game itself.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Its rather sad the community in all its variants are more consumer friendly and more apt to fix things than the business’s trying to sell stuff to the public…

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

SeanB says:

the version on my favorite private tracker is actually incomplete. The rar’s were damaged before the torrent was uploaded.

however a fix was released shortly after. Quicker than ubisoft releases their bugfixes actually.

Michael Chandra says:

Waiting for the hero who will dare to play both cracked and non-cracked at the same time and confirm whether there’s any differences.

Michael Chandra says:

They didn’t just say it. He picked it up and began playing the game on Wednesday. I also note that Gamefaqs mentions the 4th of March for Australia and the 5th of March for Europe, then the 9th for US.

DarkSaber says:

No, it’s not officially out. If your store is saying it’s ready for you to collect NOW then that means they have broken the release date.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Conster says:

11 more days? Either the Netherlands has a different release schedule, or you’re just being silly. On the 3rd I got a message from the store where I’d pre-orderd it, that it was in, and by the 4th, Ubisoft had already released a patch which limits the damage from losing your internet connection. Come to think of it, that’s probably the patch Shacknews speaks of.

Spartan says:

In the interest of academic research, I acquired a copy of SH5 and well, it looks pretty complete to me.

Anyway, down with Ubi – It should get out of the PC market all together. It does more harm to PC gamers than it brings joy to as far as I’m concerned.

—————————————————————————

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Pinworm says:

cracked in 24 hours? as far as I know Assassins Creed 2 doesn’t come out for 11 days. So pirates:

Get it earlier. Get it free. Get it without DRM or restrictions. And get to give Ubisoft punishment for pathetic bahaviour.

I’m no pirate but I’m definitely cheering for them.

Shahab says:

HAHAHAHA, how pathetic is this? They have this brand new DRM that is way over the top and they are touting as the next big thing but boom, it gets cracked within 24-hours.

So what do they do? They LIE and say its not cracked and that its not the full game. Well I guess they are right, it doesn’t contain the DRM.

Go QQ some more Ubisoft.

FlakAttack says:

Actually, that honor belongs to Impulse. You don’t even have to specifically boot it into offline mode, if you lose your connection, no big deal. It will reconnect when it gets the chance. Stardock really outdid themselves with Impulse.

DarkSaber says:

Silent Hunter 5 and AssCreed 2 still come with the DRM even if you get it through Steam.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Roh02 says:

Im so glad I dont game on the PC heh their gonna kill that market … that said well done hackers you did good. maybe not for the right reasons but they had it coming.

Ratros says:

Hacker SMASH puny DRM

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

killatia says:

To Ubisoft,

your DRM sucks, hackers has hacked it to pieces, and it will only punish those that brought it legaly.

Please stop denying it and drop your DRM like a bad habit, your’ll only hurt yourself if you keep doing down this path.

Erik says:

It amuses me that these companies think that DRM of any kind bedevils or angers the hackers in any sort of way.  On the contrary this is like putting down a nice tall mountain in front of a mountain climber.  In essence they are providing these people with entertainment, and not of the game variety.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

thefremen says:

Just repackage it without the bullshit DRM so I can buy my favorite sim already, Ubisoft. All your doing with this DRM is keeping people from buying it.

DarkSaber says:

The DRM has not been compromised and even if it was you would not be getting the proper game!

Too bad countless torrenters have already confirmed that this is just so much bullshit. The only thing "missing" from Silent Hunter 5 is the DRM.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Papa Midnight says:

Nice find E.Z.K. Long time, no see, by the way.

Anyway, to the point, I’ll summarize the following with one word:

"“You have probably seen rumors on the web that Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked,” wrote the company, continuing, “Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete.”"

Bulls**t