Games Help One Person Deal with Chilean Quake

March 5, 2010 -

The earthquake that rocked Chile last weekend killed hundreds and affected the lives of thousands more. Zam has a story on how the survival of a game-related accessory contributed a little hope to one of the quake’s survivors.

A 33-year old woman gamer named Karen, who lives in Santiago, was playing Guitar Hero: Metallica with friends when the quake hit. Many of her possessions were strewn about and destroyed as a result of the 8.8 magnitude earthquake, but the survival of one specific object, a World of Warcraft Blood of the Horde stein, gave her a reason to believe that the rest of her family in Chile had survived the quake intact.

She wrote an email to the Taverncraft, the stein’s maker just days after the disaster, writing:

All i wanna say that you made a good product and little stein give me hope, and have family in Concepcion and the other region that are the most affected for the earthquake and when I see the stein without a scratch for me was like ... yeah maybe my family made it too... that day I couldn't sleep... and only yesterday i have news all my family from the south are alive :)

Karen also told Zam that she and her friends have continued to play games as a way to get through the aftermath of the earthquake.

Comments

Re: Games Help One Person Deal with Chilean Quake

*facepalm* Ugh, the idiocy of people posting on here at times.

At times like this people need what little comfort they can get, andif a collectable stein is what gives this woman that small bit of hope to keep going, then so be it, more power to her.

Re: Games Help One Person Deal with Chilean Quake

I'm at a loss for words.  This is one of the stupidest things I've read in a long, long time.

On the other hand, if there are any particularly gullible GP readers out there, I'd be willing to sell my Pip Boy Bobblehead that keeps tigers away for just a few thousand dollars.  That's a mere pittance to pay to ensure the safety of you and your family.

Re: Games Help One Person Deal with Chilean Quake

Bit of an interesting look into just how little hope it takes to keep someone going, or just how little it takes for someone to "potentially" delude themselves.  Depending if you're a pessimist or not.

But in any case, glad that the quake wasn't as bad as it could have been.  Wasn't its epicenter a fair distance away from any heavily populated areas?  Imagine if it'd hit right in the middle of a major city.

Re: Games Help One Person Deal with Chilean Quake

Riiiiiiiight.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

james_fudgeI'll be watching the Facebook page09/01/2015 - 10:14am
james_fudgethe site maybe up right now, but we're not updating until we're at the new location.09/01/2015 - 10:13am
james_fudgehttps://www.facebook.com/gamepolitics09/01/2015 - 10:12am
Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm