Research: Gamers Spend a Lot of Money on MMOs

A new survey from Today’s Gamers takes a look into the big money arena of massively multiplayer online games.

The report focused on the U.S., UK, Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. The U.S. boasted 46.0 million MMO gamers, of whom 46.0 percent paid for the privilege to play their online game of choice. Those who did pay to play an MMO spent a total of $3.8 billion on subscriptions, virtual currency, game purchases and other micro-transactions, which works out to $15.10 spent by each U.S.-based MMO gamer per month.

Following the U.S. in total dollars spent on MMOs were the UK ($270.0 million), Germany ($250.0 million), France ($220.0 million), the Netherlands ($65.0 million) and Belgium ($55.0 million). The UK was tops in terms of monthly amount spent on MMOs with a figure of £10.60 (approximately $15.89 U.S.) per gamer.

Germany actually boasted more MMO gamers than the UK, 5.9 million to 4.2 million, but German gamers averaged only £6.70 spent (approximately $10.04) on MMOs per month.

Cerabret100 says:

I never said it beats everything out, but also that is neither an mmo, nor does it have the same entertainment value based on ones subjective views.

For instance I really don’t like Team Fortress 2…yeah it’s fun when the team properly chooses a balanced class list, and properly communicates.

…but that doesn’t happen quite as often.

Also Valve and their mirror shine reputation for packing serious value in to small packages is outside the norm.

Cerabret100 says:

MMO’s are one of those things you think are extreamly expensive, until you actually pony up to cash to try it. then you begin to realize the time per dollar rate is can be in your favor by an astounding amount compared to similarly priced entertainment alternatives.

Positive_Gamer says:

$15 bucks a month is very little when you look at all the other things we spend money on.  I spend 5 times that amount on coffee each month.  Yay, Starbucks -_-

Alex says:

Seriously, I laughed so hard when I read that sentence.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

nightwng2000 says:

"…which works out to $15.10 spent by each U.S.-based MMO gamer per month."

So, uh, yeah, roughly what they’re saying is that for every person who claims to be an MMO player, they are, and correct me if I’m wrong, basically, when it comes down to it, paying the subscription rate for ONE MMO per month.

Wow.  I mean, just WoW!  I mean, I’m just so… underimpressed.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

hellfire7885 says:

Heh, always love that bit of humor.

Thing is, I’m pretty sure that since it’s somewhat but not exactly like what soem churches railed against i nthe 70s and 80s, they hate WoW too.

Kincyr says:

somehow, I’m reminded of an internet quote ( quote #897655) that goes "I don’t understand why churches and ‘family groups’ spend millions of dollars a year on abstinence-only instruction when a World of Warcraft account only costs fifteen dollars a month and has a much better record of ensuring virginity."

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」