XP Replaces Grades in Indianan University Classes

An Assistant Professor in the Department of Telecommunications at the University of Indiana has substituted experience points for grades in two of his classes.

While it helps that the classes in question are game design courses, instructor Lee Sheldon thinks the grading scheme would perform just as well in other curriculum, or even in real-life jobs. Sheldon told IT News that, “…we are teaching the gamer, social networking generation,” adding, “I have no doubt the students will respond positively to any number of non-game-related classes taught in a similar manner.”

The benefits of such a tactic make learning (or working) more fun. Sheldon said that students in his two classes demonstrated “far great enthusiasm” than past classes that used a traditional grading method.

Sheldon, a gamer, game designer and television writer and producer, suggested that additional game design tactics could be adapted to the workplace, such as clearly defining a worker’s goals, providing incremental rewards and balancing effort and reward.

Sheldon added:

As the gamer generation moves into the mainstream workforce, they are willing and eager to apply the culture and learning-techniques they bring with them from games.

Sheldon’s idea sound a lot like those of Carnegie Mellon Professor Jesse Schell, who gave a fascinating presentation at this year’s DICE conference that revolved around the possibility of life eventually becoming one big role-playing game, where even mundane daily tasks are rewarded.

|Via Slashdot|

sirdarkat says:

Someone explain to me how this is new and creative?  Last time I was in school I earned points for doing my homework, tests, programs, projects, etc … Now granted those points where out of some amount but that is no different than saying oh you have 10 xp and you need a 100 xp to be the best.  I’m sorry but thats not creative or inventive to me that is a point system that colleges have been using since I took classes.

Looks more like this guy wanted to get his name in the paper/news for adding the word experience in front of points.

If I could digg this down I would.

Flamespeak says:

Mainly depends on the boss.

Get a boss that only offers negative criticism, believes writing people up for the smallest infractions is the best course of action, and has zero charisma, then you are in for a bad work expereience.

Get a laid back boss who tries to keep their work enviorment as fun and stress free as possible, rewards good and checks bad performance, has decent charisma, and your work experience is significantly improved.

sharpshooterbabe says:

I know I would definitely perform better in my math classes for XP in place of grades. That would be fun! 😀 Then I wouldn’t have to worry about making the grade on my tests. For some reason I just the picture in my head of Jersey Shore. Uh oh! :O

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

bpm195 says:

I’ve probably had 10 teachers/professors that used a system where students started at 0 points, with every assignment and test score added to their points and they kept a running sum of the max possible points. Some of them would award points arbitrarily (or "participation") and not necessarily add that to the running max sum. The final grade was the max over your actual sum.

Having Dr. S shout "10 points!" seems like it’d be alot cooler than him shouting "10 xp!" Though it would be pretty awesome to deduct xp from somebody until they’re back down to preFresh.

SeanB says:

Not a bad idea. If an assignment was worth 60 points, and you got 45, then you get it back with "45 Points" marked on it.

little do you know that the teachers books still just say 45/60 anyway, and at the end of the year your still getting weighed on a letter scale, but the numbers might seem to make more sense to some.

ZippyDSMlee says:

I dunno if teaching was based on repetitive activities that built up your knowledge over a subject then F-A is no different than -1000exp- 1000+ EXP.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

Flamespeak says:

If I start as a level 1 Mail soter, I can grind my pencil sharpening and letter toss skills until I become a level 60 C.E.O.

I better avoid all of those goblins in HR and Marketing though, they are a major drain on me Money Points.

Perhaps if I equip a +10 Business Suit it will enhance my Charisma stat enough that I can use my Diplomacy skill to power level my way through.

Ha! I just found out how to break life.