Summarizing U.K.'s Tax Breaks

March 25, 2010 -

The surprise announcement that tax breaks are forthcoming for UK game developers has prompted a flurry of stories and reactions.

Gamesindustry.biz has a good summary of the reactions, which have ranged from surprise to outright relief. A key point, however:

... it's worth noting that all of this is in the context of a looming General Election, after which the present government may be unseated and a large proportion of what was announced could be discarded. Conservative shadow minister Ed Vaizey seems positive on his party's support for the games industry, but has made no promises should the government in the UK change. Meanwhile current polls suggest a hung Parliament could be the most likely outcome of the voting process, and if that happens then nothing is clear.

It's an interesting wrapup of the situation. Would it be a stretch to say the UK speech was a political ploy to stay elected?

Comments

Re: Summarizing U.K.'s Tax Breaks

Yes it would be a stretch to say that this was a ploy to get re-elected. I'm sure tax breaks for games developers is an issue that hardly anyone cares about (even gamers) and I doubt anyone would vote for a party of the basis of a tax break to one small industry.

Re: Summarizing U.K.'s Tax Breaks

I'm not sure of the numbers but I don't think I would term game development in the UK as a "small industry".

===============

Chris Kimberley

===============

Chris Kimberley

Re: Summarizing U.K.'s Tax Breaks

I think between 200K and 300K people in the UK work in the videogames sector, however I've no idea if that includes retail or not.

-- teh moominz --

Re: Summarizing U.K.'s Tax Breaks

Aren't most political speeches just a ploy to stay elected?

The encouaging thing is that the first move has been made - Tax breaks are now on the agenda and are probably inevitable, even if it takes two to five years to get there.

-- teh moominz --

Andrew EisenSleaker - Seems completely cut and dry to me (of course, I wrote it so that's not surprising). What about it do you find confusing?09/01/2014 - 2:25pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/01/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-now-available-for-pre-order/ Third time's the charm, right guys? Right? Surely Icewind Dale EE can't suck as much as Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 EEs can, right?09/01/2014 - 1:37pm
Sleaker@AE I don't even know what you're trying to say in that tweet.09/01/2014 - 1:28pm
Andrew EisenBy far the most retweeted tweet I've ever tweeted. https://twitter.com/AndrewEisen/status/50617593365333196809/01/2014 - 11:15am
Thomas RiordanNo, certainly not. Anything to prevent that kinda crap.09/01/2014 - 8:18am
SleakerAlthough.. I don't think it hurts anyone if kids think the report is true :P09/01/2014 - 3:26am
Sleakerand just for future reference. National Reports is a fake news site, they decided to remove their disclaimers a while back apparently...09/01/2014 - 3:25am
Thomas RiordanDon't feel bad. I posted the same thing last night and deleted it once I realized it wasn't real.08/31/2014 - 11:13pm
E. Zachary KnightAh. The report actually read serious to me. Oh well. At least it didn't happen.08/31/2014 - 7:46pm
ConsterAlthough apparently someone who was in a swatting ring in Texas took a plea for up to 5 years in July.08/31/2014 - 7:14pm
ConsterProbably because it's a satire site.08/31/2014 - 7:13pm
E. Zachary KnightI agree that the kid should be punished, but the charge and sentence seem a bit overboard to me. http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/08/31/2014 - 6:56pm
Andrew EisenI get a "page doesn't exist."08/31/2014 - 11:50am
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/Nevelets/status/506076879309508608 What we're currently supposed to be offended by, or whatever.08/31/2014 - 10:10am
MechaTama31AE: Probably snarky commentary on this: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/08/29/principle-player-leland-yee-arms-trading-case-dies08/30/2014 - 8:43pm
Andrew EisenConster - Don't know. Got a link to whatever you're referring to?08/30/2014 - 7:04pm
ConsterWait, what's this about Leland Yee eliminating witnesses?08/30/2014 - 5:50pm
IanCBroke my EA boycott to pick up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Loving it. Still hate EA though. But i like Popcap. Gah.08/30/2014 - 6:01am
MaskedPixelantehttp://m.tickld.com/x/something-you-never-realized-about-guardians-of-the-galaxy Right in the feels.08/29/2014 - 6:56pm
AvalongodAgain I think we're conflating the issue of whether Sarkeesian's claims are beyond critique (no they're not) and whether its ever appropriate to use sexist language, let alone physical threats on a woman to intimidate her (no it isn't)08/29/2014 - 5:04pm