Analyst: Amazon Might be Prepping Steam-type Service

One analyst’s check into the hiring ads of online retailer Amazon leads him to believe that the company is preparing its own digital delivery service for games.

Via MCVUK we hear from Lazard Capital Analyst Colin Sebastian, who wrote, “Our periodic checks of job postings uncovered a search by Amazon in the video game category to help implement a new digital distribution platform.”

The analyst said that Amazon has about 1,250 open positions, with 511 of those centering on software development.

Sebastion continued:

As in other segments of digital media, we expect Amazon to pursue new opportunities as an aggregator of online games, similar to Steam (PC), BigPoint (browser) and others.

Since the company already has the infrastructure to deliver digital content, we believe that increased selection and a focus on the user experience will be key factors in gaining further market share.

GP: Amazon is known for providing great customer service and its DRM-free music downloads are a welcome alternative to Apple’s iTunes store. While Steam is a gamer’s panacea, any Amazon entry into the space would most likely offer a much wider selection and could perhaps foster some pricing competition (imagine a world where digital copies of new games are priced substantially less than boxed versions).

Austin_Lewis says:

I don’t know if I think this will turn out well.  I mean, look at amazons other multitude of failures, their broken review system, their piss-poor customer service, etc., etc.

Of course, I doubt it’ll be able to compete with Steam anyway.

GrimCW says:

256 on my account atm, and most weren’t full price. (more if you count the "packaged" deals like Kings Quest, Space Quest, and Commander Keen titles… i want Quest for Glory now!)

the steam deals are just tops, and they have sales so often its insane.

new releases less than a month after release will see 10-20% sale in no time for a weekend or midweek.

i also love having the ability to just watch as they auto patch, and getting older games at low prices minus the CD whoas (such as my 3 ravaged Q2 discs are now obsolete)

only problem is the modded .exe for some games to be steam compatible have cause issues.

such as the HDCP for Deus Ex can’t be used on steam without attaining the original games .exe, and the problem they had with the new patch for Cryostasis (which FINALLY made it to steam!… question is, how come no one over at 1c noticed this problem until now? reading the forums there was a huge outcry originally, and only recently did someone look into it?!)

my only real quarrel though is the morons that’ll accuse Steam of all their problems as if Valve ( of which these idiots don’t even know run steam half the time) despite 9/10 of the time its a user error (as always)

or they expect steam to rectify all problems and bugs with the games.. heh.. and wal mart runs tech support for MW2 right? :p

Cerabret100 says:

Valve and Jonathan Coulton are both pure win in my book.

I too was initially hesitent, as i like looking through the manuals and stuff for my games. Then The Orange Box and Steam Weekend Deals (and now midweek madness) proceeded to show me the error of my ways.

And now i’ve got 46 games on my account, with maybe ten of them having actually paid full price.

bpm195 says:

Steam wins because every Valve PC game forces you to install Steam, and they’re among the best PC developers. I sincerely hate buying digital copies of games, and I hate running background applications needlessly, but some time around Still Alive I just gave up and let Steam win. Pretty sure I’m not the only one.

GrimCW says:

its gonna fail, much like EA’s EA Downloader service, its just doomed.

D2D is actually appearing to have a harder time thanks to steam as it is, and forbid we hear much of other DD sites much besides GoG (of which Steam is also moving into their territory lately somewhat :) )

Dan says:

This could be hit or miss (and by miss, I mean terrible disater).

I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon. Their music downloads are fair and honest, but their video service is complete shit that puts itunes to shame in terms of restrictiveness (and I never thought I’d say that, as itunes is a bastion of that kind of BS).