More Woes for Ubi with Settlers 7

Gamers are once again taking to Ubisoft’s forums in order to bark about connectivity issues with the recent release Settlers 7.

While the game does feature Ubi’s DRM technology that requires a constant Internet connection, it appears this time around that the problem is related to authentication. The problem first reared its head in a thread on connectivity issues, in which many gamers complained about being unable to play the title. Some reported that, after starting Settlers 7 and seeing the game’s splash screen, a “server not available” message was presented, rendering the game unplayable.

A later thread collected details from those having problems, asking for an account name, location and ISP, where the game was purchased (retail or via Steam) and the time of the last login attempt. The majority of those listing their details in this thread were from Australia. An Ubi rep later updated the thread saying that the issue had been tracked down, writing, “it’s a problem that occurs when linking your keys to the multiplayer profile. Ubisoft GNS and TG-OPS are currently working on a solution – I’ll keep you updated.”

Settlers 7 owner boicupid wrote, “Why is it 6 days after release of this game in Australia we are still not able to play this game???” and “Why is it we cannot even play a single player game, that in theory shouldnt require an internet connection.”

Just to be fair, another user, named ipsumFR, wrote, “Well, I contacted the French ubi support yesterday. After asking me a lot about my network settings, they eventually asked for my CD key and my login. I don’t know if they did something with that or if they are working on their servers but now it just works, both on mac and pc.”

ScotlandTom says:

I’m in the same boat.  I’d love to give both Settlers 7 and AC2 a shot, but there is no way on Earth I am going to shell out money for a single player experience that is dependent upon both my connectivity and Ubisoft’s ability to maintain their authentication systems.

This is just a shot in the dark here, but I’d be willing to bet that the various DRM schemes we’re seeing today have had no appreciable effect on game piracy since the days of basic CD key authentication.  Until we see a serious reversal of attitudes from developers and publishers I will continue to keep my money in my pocket and out of theirs.

Kalerender says:

The most frustrating part of it is, is that I want to play Settlers 7 and AC2. I havn’t played a settlers game properly since amiga times, and free running through italy chumming it up with ol’ Leo while I assassinate soldiers; who doesn’t want that?!

But I refuse to give money to a system that means unless I’m at home and there is nothing wrong with the internet between here and there, I can’t play a game I own.

So I will wait, it will be cracked, or DRM removed, whichever comes first will satisfy me.

chadachada321 says:

Problem is, the existence of said DRM might not be clearly stated on the box, meaning many people might not know about it until after they buy it.

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

paketep says:

Sorry, but anyone that gives Ubi money despite the DRM deserves something like this.

Thanks for validating this travesty with your wallet, morons.

ZippyDSMlee says:

They already blamed the hackers and they still insist the DRM is unbroken.

I think the problem is more due to more simplstic bugs and people whining to no end over crappy DRM than anything else.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people!

Thad says:

It’s clear what happened here: the hackers who executed the DDoS attack the other week exploited a SQL injection bug to hijack the mainframe and used a worm generation program to piggyback on Ubi’s signal.

Because the only other explanation is that Ubi can’t keep its network functional.  And that’s just crazy talk.

I expect a press release blaming it on hackers any minute now.

saregos says:

Huh?  How is that not relevant to the current issue?

The DRM is breaking peoples’ games, just like we all predicted it would.  Solution:  Removal.

— Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known