Judge: Lawsuit Against ex-Take2 Execs Can Move Forward

April 1, 2010 -

A lawsuit that alleges ex-executives of Take-Two Interactive Software illegally backdated stock options has been given the go-ahead to continue by a Manhattan federal judge.

Originally brought by Take-Two shareholders, Reuters reports that the suit targets former CEOs Ryan Brant and Kelly Sumner, along with ex-CFOs Larry Muller and James David with securities fraud based on options awarded after July 12, 2001. While U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain did dismiss an undetermined amount of claims because of their age, she ruled that it was inappropriate to dismiss the post-July 2001 claims because it was “far from clear” if they were brought too late.

The process of backdating stock options was described as involving “retroactive grants of stock options as of dates when stock prices are low, making the options more valuable.”

Take-Two already paid $3.0 million to Securities and Exchange a year-ago over similar allegations, in addition to a $300,000 payment made to the office of the Manhattan District Attorney to avoid criminal charges on the matter.

Comments

Re: Judge: Lawsuit Against ex-Take2 Execs Can Move Forward

Eh, I'm not going to defend the execs on this. If they engage in illegal activities, they deserve to be caught and punished.

My only issue is what one or two idiots may say about this "confirming" their beleifs of game industry racketeering, whatever that is.

Re: Judge: Lawsuit Against ex-Take2 Execs Can Move Forward

I just see this as one more reason why nobody is going to buy T2, with the possible exception of EA.  As such, if either they keep EA from buying it, or EA stops trying, the shareholders are pretty much fucked as far as their stock prices are concerned, as there's not going to be any more interest in the company.

I'm not sure, but there may be more legal action coming to T2 in relation to this, seeing as how there was so much intentionally done by T2 execs to keep EA from buying it.

---

You KILL Vampires. You don't DATE them.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Judge: Lawsuit Against ex-Take2 Execs Can Move Forward

"...in addition to a $300,000 payment made to the office of the Manhattan District Attorney to avoid criminal charges on the matter."

Is it just me or is this a legalized bribe?

===============

Chris Kimberley

===============

Chris Kimberley

Re: Judge: Lawsuit Against ex-Take2 Execs Can Move Forward

Its more of a fine or an out of court settlement. They can pay the low fine now or go to court over it and possible pay more or go to jail.

E. Zachary Knight