Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

April 12, 2010 -

In a bid to limit the screen time of its young gamers, Korea has unveiled some drastic initiatives.

Korea’s Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism will try to block certain online games after midnight, reports the Korea Herald. Midnight, however, appears to be a generic term, as gamers will be able to choose their specific six-hour long gaming black-out period: 12AM – 6AM, 1AM - 7AM or 2AM - 8 AM. Under the plan, online access to massively multiplayer games would automatically shut off at the appointed time.

A secondary aspect of the policy would have the Internet speeds of young gamers throttled down if users remain online for a “lengthy” period of time. The slowdown policy is said to be in current testing on four online games, with plans to spread the procedure to 19 games in total in the second half of 2010.

The Ministry will also target young gamers who use the registration numbers of their parents in order to circumnavigate such restrictions.

Comments

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

That is stupid! I'm glad I don't live in Korea. But I bet one of the MMO's is WOW.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

Wow, talk about one of the stupidest ideas in the history of human thought. I hope the people responsible DIAF.

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

Direct International Action Films??

Thats a crazy reward!

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

Oops, double post and no delete button

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

So what, gamers are like mogwai? Never feed them after midnight?

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

2 Am to 8 am

why would you play that late? idd be sleeping :)

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

A lot of people prefer to be up at night and sleep in the morning.  Also, if you work the graveyard shift, then your days off would put your free time sometime between 12:00 AM to 8:00AM.

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

I'm sure someone will discover some way to mask whatever the program uses to identify and target people for throttling or black-outs, therefore just switching said info every couple of hours, completely negating the system.

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

Under a week before someone has a way to bypass it.

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

I call 24-48 hours in the pool...

===============

Chris Kimberley

===============

Chris Kimberley

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

If the means gets international support, I call the 12-24 block.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am