UK Retailer Takes Step to Warn About Used Game DLC

April 13, 2010 -

In response to a consumer suing retailer GameStop over the code for free downloadable content from a used game already being used (by the original purchaser), UK retailer GAME has taken a proactive step to avoid sharing a similar fate with its U.S.-based counterpart.

According to MCV, GAME has fashioned warning stickers that will warn potential purchasers to check with a store’s staff for more information on the availability of a used game’s downloadable content.

This solution, a GAME spokesperson told MCV, would allow the staff to “explain clearly the difference so that our customers understand the benefits of buying both pre-owned and mint [new].”

GAME started using the stickers in its stores last week.

Thanks Andrew!

Comments

Re: UK Retailer Takes Step to Warn About Used Game DLC

If you want more info, I just looked at the attorneys' website for this case at www.GameStopLawsuit.com

RinoaRules

Re: UK Retailer Takes Step to Warn About Used Game DLC

well at least someone is learning from Gamestop's mistake.

Re: UK Retailer Takes Step to Warn About Used Game DLC

The benefits of buying second-hand? What exactly are they? In a lot of cases you can find new copies of the games cheaper than what GAME are selling the pre-owned ones for.

Plus I've had a few bad experiences with GAME recently with then selling pre-owned as new.

Re: UK Retailer Takes Step to Warn About Used Game DLC

It's slightly cheaper. And that's about it. You rarely get everything that was originally in the box in a usable condition, the discs often look like they've been recovered from a collapsed mine (I had one with a 5mm deep indentation pinch mark where they had pinned it to the inside of the case...) and any codes or deals are typically long gone.

For reasonably new releases... I'd honestly rather pay the extra £5 and get a mint copy and ensure some of my cash goes up the chain.

Re: UK Retailer Takes Step to Warn About Used Game DLC

last week? the gamestops in my area have been doing it since the lawsuit got announced :p

i'm amazed no ones mentioned that if this is up, its not a company wide thing yet?

Re: UK Retailer Takes Step to Warn About Used Game DLC