Games Suspended as China Prepares to Mourn Quake Victims

April 20, 2010 -

The Chinese government has declared April 21, 2010 as a day of mourning for victims of the April 14 Yushu Earthquake which reportedly killed over 2,000 people and injured more than 12,000.

The Ministry of Culture, in addition to ordering all flags lowered to half-mast, has also issued a suspension  for all public entertainment activities, including videogames. Provision number three of a government issued decree (translated) orders that all cultural and entertainment venues in the China suspend the entertainment activities.

This includes game rooms, cinemas, theaters, dance halls and recreation venues. Additionally, Online cultural operators were ordered to “suspend all online music, online games, online animation, and online video,” while Internet service providers were told to “suspend all entertainment activities including games, music, and video.”

Comments

Re: Games Suspended as China Prepares to Mourn Quake Victims

Remembering earthquake victims is all well and good, but trying to make it to where it is mandatory to remember them? This won't work. Evenif you block the internet, make it to where nothing plays on the TV or the radio, people can still do other things. Play videogames, read books, watch movies, nap, work (if permitted)).

The only way China is going to make everyone to stop everything and remember on this day is to take everyone's free will away.

I think.

- W

Consumer responsibility is just as important as Corporate responsibility. So, be responsible consumers.

Re: Games Suspended as China Prepares to Mourn Quake Victims

It's being done across the board and for the right reasons for a change. Hopefully peopel can be bothered to respect this.

Re: Games Suspended as China Prepares to Mourn Quake Victims

It seems like a bit much.  But it's being done across the board and for a decent reason.  I can't really see this as a bad thing.

Likely it'll backfire and just annoy people rather than get them to spend time really considering/mourning the quake victims as it's intended to.  But that's more an indication of the selfishness of most of humanity than of anything else.  Like how a lot of people can't be bothered to take some time out to consider the sacrifices made by others on Remembrance/Veteran's Day.

===============

Chris Kimberley

===============

Chris Kimberley

Re: Games Suspended as China Prepares to Mourn Quake Victims

We have a memorial day on the 4th of March. 1 minute of silence. You'd be surprised how much people still make noise during that time. Our gaming club, on the other hand, moved a meeting 1 week forward so we wouldn't have it during that minute of silence.

Re: Games Suspended as China Prepares to Mourn Quake Victims

"Internet service providers were told to “suspend all entertainment activities including games, music, and video."

How? Block the whole internet? Oh wait it's china, that's already done on a regular basis.

Re: Games Suspended as China Prepares to Mourn Quake Victims

One more reason to be glad we don't live in China.

Re: Games Suspended as China Prepares to Mourn Quake Victims

That makes no sense really. They declare a national day of grief, and don't want people to disrespect that by enjoying their entertainment. It's still the act of a totalitarian government, but it's not actual censorship or oppression of its citizens.

Poll