Italian Org Promotes and Defends Games

April 20, 2010 -

A relatively new Italian organization has been formed in order to defend and promote the legitimization of videogames as a medium of art, culture.

The Association of Interactive Multimedia Works (AIOMI) is headquartered in Rome and led by President Marco Accordi Rickards, who is said to have coined the term “conscious gamer,” which the AIOMI is based around.

A “conscious gamer” is defined as “one who makes use passionate, intelligent and informed of the videogame medium…. knows that the game is not only a form of entertainment, but also a means of artistic expression of thought, able to convey messages, ideas and emotions.”

This type of gamer differs from the casual or hardcore gamer because he or she is aware of the cultural background of videogames and feels pride over being part of such a “small elite” group.
AIOMI is seeking members in order to help it defend the rights of the Italian game industry and video games.

AIOMI appears to have been formed sometime in 2008. The embedded video is the organization’s latest marketing effort. Wonder if Roger Ebert would like it?

Comments

Re: Italian Org Promotes and Defends Games

The whole idea of being part of a "'small elite' group" seems a bit like they're trying to out-snob the art snobs, but I think their hearts are in the right place.

Re: Italian Org Promotes and Defends Games

Games can't be art. Games actually make you feel good. Art is only supposed to make you feel pompous.

Poll