Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

April 20, 2010 -

A promotion for the release of Splinter Cell: Conviction in New Zealand, complete with an armed “Sam Fisher,” went awry, causing members of the public to dive for cover after someone screamed “He’s got a gun!”

According to the New Zealand Herald, a man dressed as Fisher, with bandages wrapped around his hands and a fake gun, pointed his weapon at bar goers in Auckland’s Viaduct Basin. Someone thought the weapon was real and yelled a warning, causing the people in the bar to take cover. Police were called, and even though they thought the gun was real, they managed to diffuse the situation without hurting anyone.

Regional distributor Monaco Corporation had hired an unnamed marketing agency to setup the stunt and claimed to know nothing about a gun being involved.

Monaco Marketing Manager Duane Mutu apologized for the stunt, saying, “This was by no means an attempt to get cops down there and get this sort of exposure. It was just marketing gone wrong."

Senior Sergeant Ben Offner offered, “We consider these types of stunts to be very ill-advised and have real concerns a similar one may one day end in tragedy.”

Note that the story refers to Splinter Cell: Evolution, but the just-released title is called Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Thanks Ryan and Iheartassassinmaids!

Comments

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

That's funny.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Look like this guy just got

*putting sunglasses on*

convicted

Yeaaaaaahhhhh!!!! (CSI: Miami music playing)

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

It wasn't me! I was set up! You can't do this to me mdo caine!

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

It's a real shame the instant CSI site is down, otherwise I'd totally link it here.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

They managed to diffuse the situation?  Neat.  I didn't realize situations could be scattered or spread out.  ;)

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Whoever thought this up needs to lose their job.

*facepalm*

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

This is the best advertisement ever.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Good thing our old pal JT taught us that there is no such thing as bad publicity (I mean, I discovered Bioshock and System Shock thanks to him).

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

I don't recall him saying anything about BioShock. Was it his comments about 2K?

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

I think he was one of those on the "Bioshock let's you brutally murder children" party wagon.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Even bad publicity is good publicity. This ad agency should go to the clink.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Really? They didn't think this could possibly go badly?

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

I have a feeling if someone was just 'joking around' the would be in jail right now.

But because it was related to commerce, somehow it makes it non-criminal.....

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

I hope who ever thought this was a good marketing plan gets fire for this.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Somebody pass this along to Mayor Menino and explain that THIS is what an inappropriate marketing campaign looks like.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm