Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

April 22, 2010 -

Former Los Angeles police chief Daryl Gates, known to the general public for his tenure during the Rodney King riots in the 1990's, but better known to gamers as a consultant on the iconic Police Quest series of Sierra adventure games, died last week at 83. Gates had been suffering from cancer in his bladder and hipbone.

Gates was considered the "father" of modern SWAT teams, so it comes as no surprise that he was one of the chief consultants on the Police Quest: SWAT series (the series later dropped the Police Quest title), even lending his name to the box cover of the first SWAT game.

He previously was the namesake and a senior designer on "Daryl Gates' Police Quest IV: Open Season", noted for being one of the most realistic games of the Police Quest series.

Moby Games credits Gates as working on six games in total.

Comments

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

I remember Daryl Gates from the LA Riots. Now those were interesting times. It's not often you go outside and smell smoke from fires burning on every corner of your block, and it's not everyday that you find yourself protecting local stores from looters, LOL.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

Actually the games were just called Police Quest. The fifth Police Quest game was the first of the series to use the SWAT moniker. It was also the final one to use the Police Quest title as well. After that they began just calling the series SWAT which removed any resemblance of gameplay styles from the original PQ series.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

Rest in Peace Officer Gates.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

He's telling St. Peter "you're in my way, sir..." now.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Poll