Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

April 22, 2010 -

Former Los Angeles police chief Daryl Gates, known to the general public for his tenure during the Rodney King riots in the 1990's, but better known to gamers as a consultant on the iconic Police Quest series of Sierra adventure games, died last week at 83. Gates had been suffering from cancer in his bladder and hipbone.

Gates was considered the "father" of modern SWAT teams, so it comes as no surprise that he was one of the chief consultants on the Police Quest: SWAT series (the series later dropped the Police Quest title), even lending his name to the box cover of the first SWAT game.

He previously was the namesake and a senior designer on "Daryl Gates' Police Quest IV: Open Season", noted for being one of the most realistic games of the Police Quest series.

Moby Games credits Gates as working on six games in total.

Comments

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

I remember Daryl Gates from the LA Riots. Now those were interesting times. It's not often you go outside and smell smoke from fires burning on every corner of your block, and it's not everyday that you find yourself protecting local stores from looters, LOL.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

Actually the games were just called Police Quest. The fifth Police Quest game was the first of the series to use the SWAT moniker. It was also the final one to use the Police Quest title as well. After that they began just calling the series SWAT which removed any resemblance of gameplay styles from the original PQ series.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

Rest in Peace Officer Gates.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

He's telling St. Peter "you're in my way, sir..." now.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Craig R.Ok, my internal debate was short-lived. If Win10 is still a year out, I'm not waiting that long for an SSD, so on Win7 I will remain.09/30/2014 - 7:52pm
Matthew Wilsonits called windows 10, and I am happy to get the start menu back.09/30/2014 - 7:18pm
Jessy HartIs this stuff about Windows 10 legit? Is it actually called Windows 10 or is it just some stupid joke?09/30/2014 - 6:57pm
ZippyDSMleeSo I been trying to play Bioshock Infinite I got all the DLC,ect but do not want the extras to make your charatcer over powered from the start.....they force you to take them which is quite annoying......09/30/2014 - 6:45pm
Craig R.I need to upgrade to an SSD, still seriously debating moving to Win8.1 from 7 at the same time09/30/2014 - 6:07pm
Craig R.Win10 is probably Win8.1 with more cleanup and the Start button back.09/30/2014 - 6:06pm
Sora-ChanAhh, it's just weird seeing someone's post all of a sudden have replies from days prior before it was posted due to that.09/30/2014 - 5:49pm
MechaTama31sora: I broke the ordering intentionally, as AE's and my conversation had squeezed the text boxes down to be quite slim. I replied to an earlier post of his instead of the one I was actually replying to.09/30/2014 - 5:46pm
MechaTama31So, 9 would have been the good one, but they are skipping it to do two crap ones in a row?09/30/2014 - 5:41pm
Sora-ChanSo, judging from the poll post for #gamergate, it looks like too many thread replies breaks the ordering of posts, as seen with the recent post from Infophile.09/30/2014 - 5:31pm
Andrew EisenOr no! It wasn't Y3K compliant. Microsoft thought it best to super future proof its OS and skipped straight to 10 which is Y3K compliant!09/30/2014 - 5:01pm
Andrew EisenJust tell them it wasn't Y2K compliant.09/30/2014 - 5:00pm
Craig R.Looking forward to having to explain to coworkers down the road what ever happened to 9 *sigh*09/30/2014 - 4:57pm
Craig R.2k was crap. XP was solid, 7 is good, 8.1 is actually really good once you make it look like 7 :)09/30/2014 - 4:52pm
Sora-Chan@MP As someone who has used each version of windows since 3.1... I prefer Vista over 7 for various reasons. The only thing I give 7 over Vista is preformance. They really screwed up a bunch of things when making 7. Also, XP was a pain. 2k was better.09/30/2014 - 4:13pm
Jessy Hart@E. Zachary Knight Is that show called Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures?09/30/2014 - 3:34pm
IanCWin 8 isn't bad, it just can't decide whether to be a desktop OS or a tablet OS.09/30/2014 - 2:40pm
IanCI think its a way of getting round giving it free to Win 8 users...09/30/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelanteWindows alternates between bad and good versions. XP was good, Vista sucked, 7 was good, 8 sucked, therefore 10 will suck, QED.09/30/2014 - 2:18pm
E. Zachary KnightPerhaps they are calling it "10" because on a scale of 1-10 of how awesome it is, it is a clear 10.09/30/2014 - 2:06pm