GMU “Overwhelmed” at Response to Game Design Degree

April 23, 2010 -

Reaction to George Mason University’s decision to offer a bachelor’s degree in Computer Game Design has already surpassed the wildest dreams of the Fairfax, Virginia-based school.

A story in the Fairfax Times reports that the school has already enrolled around 200 students into the program, besting an internal goal of having 110 students in the program by 2012. As Scott M. Martin, Assistant Dean for Technology, Research and Advancement at the school stated, “We've been overwhelmed. Our anticipated enrollment for the fall is 500 percent higher than we expected.”

Bioware Mythic is also based in Fairfax and its General Manager, Eugene Evans, was enthused about GMU’s program, telling the paper, “This course bodes well for the future of gaming in this region. The team at GMU is putting a strong emphasis on a broad set of disciplines and instilling an entrepreneurial spirit -- which could mean many new start-ups within a few years.”

Coursework in the major includes History of Computer Game Design, Consumer Game Platform Analysis, Music for Film and Video and Online Gaming and File Sharing.

Comments

Re: GMU “Overwhelmed” at Response to Game Design Degree

I did not know that George Mason from CTU had his own university. Well Considering what he did he might deserved it.......

All joking aside this is pretty good but not really shocking news.

Re: GMU “Overwhelmed” at Response to Game Design Degree

:: Cough :: Online degree please.  :: Cough ::

I know, online degrees aren't quite positively viewed thing by many professionals and companies, yet.  But I believe they should be.  Especially for those who have the capabilities to learn but not the ability to go to another state and earn that degree.  Yeah, I know, that'll get a few whiners too.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Re: GMU “Overwhelmed” at Response to Game Design Degree

I think this has lot to do with the quality of current internet degree programs.

"Gotta tighten up the graphics on level 2!"

Re: GMU “Overwhelmed” at Response to Game Design Degree

Thats becuse most of the online places are shit.....*sigh* and the only option if you can't set aside 12K or more a year....

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: GMU “Overwhelmed” at Response to Game Design Degree

If the Game Design degree follows the same model they used for their IT program, the students will be in good shape.

-P, holder of a GMU IT Bachelor's.

Re: GMU “Overwhelmed” at Response to Game Design Degree

This isn't really all that surprising. Game development is the hot career choice at the moment. Everyone wants to do it. I would have been more surprised if they didn't meet their sign up goal. E. Zachary Knight Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA http://www.theeca.com/chapters_oklahoma

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm