Hacker Group Claims to Break Ubi DRM

The release group Skid Row says it has circumvented Ubisoft’s controversial DRM technology on the PC version of Assassin’s Creed 2.

CNET reports that the group released a modified executable file and crack, which enables the game to be played without a constant Internet connection to Ubi’s servers. The new DRM technology caused problems for many legitimate owners of the game and also caused hackers to attack Ubi’s authentication servers at least twice, taking them down and rendering games unplayable for lengthy periods of time.

While Skid Row was pleased to crack Assassin’s Creed 2, it wanted no credit/blame for the attack’s on Ubi’s servers, saying in an .info file, that no member of Skid Row would “cause such riot.”

The group did, however, offer Ubisoft a message:

Thank you Ubisoft, this was quiete [sic] a challenge for us, but nothing stops the leading force from doing what we do. Next time focus on the game and not on the DRM. It was probably horrible for all legit users. We just make their lifes [sic] easier.

25 comments

1. Lou says:

As long as manufacturers keep doing these acrobatic acts to curb "piracy" (an overused word) hackers are gonna keep cracking the software. Seriously do these companies think before they act? They are literaly daring these individuals to find a way to crack these games.

I am against obtaining software illegaly but this turning into a pointless cycle.

2. bpm195 says:

I’m not a fan of hacking the game for a noble cause. If you don’t approve of terms under which you can buy and play the game, don’t buy the game and don’t play the game. If you’re buying the game and then using a hack so that you can play it how you want: you’re essentially saying that in spite of disapproving of their product you’re still willing to give them money.

3. GoodRobotUs says:

No offence to Ubisoft, but good. Looks like they’ll have to find another approach rather than ‘guilty until proven innocent’.

4. Baruch_S says:

That took longer than I expected, but the result is still the same. Ubisoft wasted tons of money on DRM, and now the pirates have the game anyway. Do they really make enough money from one month of successful anti-piracy to make up the cost of the DRM? I kind of doubt it. But at least the legit users can play it without Internet connections now.

5. ZippyDSMlee says:

Think of like this a collage campus is overrun by the national guard to squalche free speech and protesting. Then a collage kid gets shot.

Now you can look at this wrongly as an analogy about restricting freedoms and what not. But its more about control and the freak out those that have it have when they lose it to a natural process they will never control.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

6. Longjocks says:

I’m not normally one to worry greatly about semantics when I understand the meaning of something, but the follwoing quote is sticking in my head (offending word underlined):

"…[The new DRM technology] also caused hackers to attack Ubi’s authentication servers…"

It almost implies a shifting of the blame from those who made the attack to Ubi’s DRM tech. As much as we can all (most of us anyway) agree we hate it, and assuming the attacks are true and not face-saving lies, Ubi and the tech have nothing to do with causing the attack.

7. GoodRobotUs says:

What makes me feel sad is that when 18 and life came out, I was too old for it to apply 🙁

8. CEOIII says:

Dude, Skid Row broke up in 96. Don’t blame us for not recognizing song titles of one of the incredibly interchangeable 90s metal bands.

I’m Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

9. Bigman-K says:

I see this as solely a positive thing. They’re not pirating the game outright and making the game freely available but merely allowing those to play the game if their internet connection is down or very slow. I’d be incredibly pissed if i was playing the game and my internet disconnected and the game just shut off automaticaly. What about those with Laptops who want to waste some time playing some single player on a rainy day when they’re on vacation and where they’re staying at has no active internet connection. Kudos Skid Row!

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

10. Michael Chandra says:

Common sense, actually. You don’t start with the truth only to then switch to a cover story, it tends to be the other way around. Try to cover it up until it goes out of control.

11. paketep says:

Nope. I don’t think it was the demand, I think it was just the usual Ubi incompetence.

Fuck them and their DRM.

12. Thad says:

"and also caused hackers to attack Ubi’s authentication servers at least twice"

First: a DDoS attack is not a hack.

Second: have we ever gotten any proof besides Ubi’s word that it was a deliberate attack and not merely too much demand for their servers to handle?

13. axiomatic says:

Oh good grief… no takers?

Alrighty then… the quotes were all Skid Row song titles…. it’s Friday peeps! Have some fun!

14. axiomatic says:

Ubisoft, its time to cut out the "monkey business" and "get the fuck out" of the DRM business because it’s nothing but "wasted time" and only makes you a "slave to the grind."

(see what I did there?)

15. Dejiko says:

Every so often my wireless connection craps out for a minute or two. If I played AC2 I have no doubt that I would have lost quite a bit a progress at one point, even though I have a constant connection.

16. Mr.Tastix says:

EA are guilty of the same act, as well. Not everyone uses the damn internet, not everyone can use it or wants to use it and people shouldn’t be expected to pay $40-50 for a game then not be able to play the damn thing without unreasonable extra costs (internet connection + subscription fee for MMOs doesn’t count, they ARE classed as ONLINE games for a reason).

— Randi Tastix

17. hellfire7885 says:

Can’t say Ubisoft doesn’t deserve this. I’ll laugh if they keep denying it.

As for Ubisoft’s asinine little idea that people usually have a constant internet connection, a number of weeks ago my router went out withotu warning. If i had been palying one of their games then I’d have been SOL.

18. MechaCrash says:

Hm. I’m of two minds on this one.

On the one hand, it shows that no matter what stupid crazy bullshit they make legitimate customers go through, it’s only a matter of time before it’s broken open. And now that it’s been broken open, pirates once again have a superior product to the legitimate version, because they don’t need a constant internet connection to play their single-player game.

On the other hand, this gives them back their "baaaw it’s pirates" excuse for why their PC games don’t sell very well, rather than examining other factors like "it’s a shitty port of a game to a smaller market that most of the people who gave a fuck about played four months ago."

19. ZippyDSMlee says:

The graysuits have to close any and all loopholes that do not make the money even if it loses them money….. this is why we have to protect the public from inane attacks……

Comments are closed.