Supermarket Serves up E-Waste Recycling Program

April 27, 2010 -

The Harris Teeter chain of supermarkets has teamed up with recycling advocate MyBoneYard in order to debut a program that offers rewards and cash for unused electronic devices, including videogames.

Harris Teeter will reward recyclers with store gift cards for recycled items, or those discarding unused items can choose to donate the money received to the supermarket’s Together in Education program, which provides funds to public schools.

A handy website informs consumers of the value of their used goods beforehand. For example, a working original Xbox console, with all power and A/V cords, will bring a recycler $8, while a similarly outfitted PlayStation 2 is worth $7 and a Wii brings $78. Cell phones, MP3 players, GPS units, computers, cameras and monitors are among the other acceptable items. Harris Teeter will also provide prepaid shipping labels for items.

The website also features information on how start a local fundraising recycling program.

Harris Teeter operates 192 stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Maryland and Delaware.

Comments

Re: Supermarket Serves up E-Waste Recycling Program

Unless your equipment is broken, eBay sounds like a better idea (at least with regard to profits -- I actually avoid eBay because of Paypal).

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am