Apple Rejects iClubSeal App, PETA Applauds

I think most would agree that clubbing a seal to death for its pelt is a pretty abhorrent, violent act. But is a comedic iPhone app that lets you commit that act equally untoward? Opinions will differ on that topic, for sure, but Apple’s official position on the subject seems to be that is very naughty indeed. According to iPhone app developer Matt Smyth, his iPhone iSealClub app has been rejected by Apple because it contains "objectionable content." Smyth was informed of the decision on Tuesday in an email from Apple (check out this YouTube video to get a glimpse of the game in action).

Matt Smyth can’t understand why Apple rejected iSealClub:

"They allow other apps, like Trophy Hunt for bear and deer and whatnot. I don’t see the difference between killing a seal and killing a deer," he said in an interview Wednesday.

A fair point. In iSealClub players use a cartoon club to hunt cartoon seals, but there are limits that make the game a little more tasteful. The game doesn’t contain any blood and baby seals are off limits. Smyth, a Newfoundland resident, feels iSealClub was rejected because the company is against seal hunting, which is "socially acceptable" in his province and sanctioned by the Canadian government.

Meanwhile PETA was delighted with the decision. Commenting on the official PETA Blog, Jennifer O’Connor had nothing but love for Apple CEO Steve Jobs – even though Apple previously rejected one of its apps:

Sure, Apple banned our Be Nice to Bunnies app after catching a glimpse of sexy Stephanie Pratt in the buff, but PETA doesn’t hold it against Steve Jobs. In fact, we think that Jobs and the rest of the Apple crew are pretty great after learning that the App Store said "no way" to an app called iSealClub—a game in which users wield a metal-tipped club and earn points by bashing seals to death.

O’Connor went on to say that PETA would be sending Jobs a "thank-you note along with some yummy vegan chocolate seals" as a token of appreciation.

Maybe i’m wrong, but vegan chocolate seals sound like more a punishment than a reward.

Craig R. says:

Dammit, how that Apple won’t let me get my fix, I’m gonna have to go up north and club some real seals. And send the pics to PETA for good measure.

Father Time says:

Oh PETA you and your attempts to be relevant.

Werrick says:

I think you’re right. I certainly would. I would also agree that de-clawing lions and forcing them to fight packs of heyenas while people spectate and wager on the outcome is equally barbaric. Fortunately both are fictitious scenarios, despite what PETA has to say about it the former, and yet somehow people simply believe the lie without any effort to actually investigate the reality of the scenario.

SimonBob says:

"I think most would agree that clubbing a seal to death for its pelt is a pretty abhorrent, violent act."  Indeed they would, because PETA’s managed to brainwash everyone into believing that the "clubbing" is done with roughly the same precision as a blindfolded childing swinging at a piñata.  In fact, almost all of the hunting is done with firearms, usually killing the seal instantaneously.  The clubs (actually hakapiks, which have metal hooks for moving the carcass afterwards) are only swung in case of incapacitation, and are used for their efficiency: it takes just one swing to collapse the skull.  It’s the most efficient method possible.

But PETA needs a cute mascot to haul people into its clutches, so the perfectly humane seal hunt gets all this negative press, while foie gras still gets a pass because geese are ugly-ass dudes.

Bennett Beeny says:

So let me get this straight – they ban the app of a company that’s protesting the slaughter of baby seals, because the app portrays ‘objectionable content’? Isn’t the fact that clubbing baby seals to death is objectionable kind of the point?

And PETA is siding with Apple and against the company that wants to protect baby seals?

Am I missing something here? When did PETA join the pro-hunting lobby? What’s next – will they be sending tofu and kashi to the NRA?

Cecil475 says:

Nah, I bet PETA would rather see a game where domesticated cats and dogs are clubbed to death instead of..y’know..actually finding homes for them.

– W

Chamale says:

Double negatives aside, no economical hunter would kill a baby seal. Their pelts are really crappy, they’re barely worth skinning, and it’s only profitable to wait for the seal to reach the age where its fur looks nice.

This is a signature virus. Please copy and paste into your signature to help it propagate.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

I know, I know. But no baby seal will be saved because they just banned a naughty game.

If I had a private company and hear about PETA backing my actions, then I would be like: "screw this, put that seal killing simulator back again, and this time put blood on it".

———————————————————— My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

Father Time says:

"Anything that makes PETA applaud, is utterly evil and wrong"

Peta is utterly evil and wrong but that’s not true of all of their positions. For example do you think what Micheal Vick did was wrong? Well so did Peta.

Zero Beat says:

Also, plants can’t fight back.  Animals can.  So eating plants, that can never defend themselves (barring poison, but there’s ways around that), attack you, or call for help, is one of the most immoral things you can do.  </PETA logic applied to plants>

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Saxy says:

The irony in this is that not 20 minutes ago I was updating my Kitten Cannon app…

And, I mean, hey, if I wanted to re-enact a violent game like the media thinks we all do, it’s a lot easier to get my hands on a cat that a seal. I suppose the cannon is a different story, but I think I made my point.

Kajex says:

Wait, wait.

So… they applaud the censoring of a game that they feel would invoke people to club seals, and then offer vegan chocolate seal treats as a reward?

You want to know what happens if you give ANYBODY animal crackers? They bite off the fucking HEAD. And the limbs. And that’s just fine with me- if I can’t bash seals on my iPud, then I’ll bite off animal cookie heads and pretend that I’m beheading them for the exact same fucking effect.

And nothing will have changed. No seals will be saved, and no crackers will be spared.

MechaTama31 says:

I wonder if anybody at Apple even still remembers their 1984 ad.  If so, do they see the irony in the way they (try to) exert absolute control over what is done with their devices?

Saxy says:

They either:

A: Send them cacao beans ground up and shaped like a seal.

B: Use the tofu equivalent of chocolate, which is really just something awful-tasting that somehow got mislabeled "Chocolate".