Yee: I Would Never Seek a Ban of Ultra-Violent Games

The Los Angeles Times recently peppered State Senator Leland Yee with a few questions about the original legislation he penned making it all the way to the United States Supreme Court.

Perhaps the best question posed to Yee asked how he could introduce legislation that would make it illegal to sell violent games to minors when he is not very familiar with games at all.

Yee answered:

Yee was then asked "Do you think video games are an art form? Do game creators deserve freedom of expression?"

He answered:

This is where some critics misunderstand me. I think video games are artful and it takes a lot of creativity to make them. I also think the interactive nature of them and the technology behind them can have great educational value.

25 comments

MonkeyPeaches says:

That’s already the way it is moron.

PHOENIXZERO says:

He’s no more "misguided" as Jack Thompson or that prick David Grossman, he knows EXACTLY what he’s doing in twisting things to further an agenda. He’s been at this for years now, his seat on the misguided ignorance train left the station back in 2007.

Keegs79 says:

If he acknowledges its under the first amendment than he shouldn’t be doing this. Im not fooled when he says its parents decision. This guy is a straight out liar. He is insulting with those comments as if we are stupid not to see through his twisted ways.

Second, the idea that video games can encourage more than movies is completely false. Someone is more likely to be inspired to do something from a movie. This is just wasting tax money.

BearDogg-X says:

As the above poster said "YOU LIE!"

This "law" is nothing more than an attempt to chill free speech. The First Amendment, 60 years of Supreme Court precedent, and the industry’s success in voluntary enforcement goes against Yee’s idiocy.

It will be fun to see Yee weeping into the streets of Sacramento after SCOTUS rejects California’s law as unconstitutional.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra. Hell will stay frozen over for quite a while since the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Zerodash says:

"YOU LIE!"

Seriously, does Yee or any of these politicians actually understand what the First Amendment and Free Speech are about?  Also, for a guy who supposedly respects gamers and game creators, he sure has a lot of asshole remarks, lies, and outright hyperbole vilifying the medium and the people who make/play them.

At least trash like Jack Thompson, Mr Atkinson, and Keith Vaz don’t lie about their stance on this subject.  Leland Yee is a two-faced lying serpent.

GoodRobotUs says:

So once again a censor is using ignorance as evidence, and seems to think this justifiies their position. It’s funny, I’ve never been in politics, but I just know that every single politician out there is a lying, self-serving control freak with the morals of an alleycat who hang out in mens toilets looking at wangs.

This is, of course, not true, but sauce for the goose…

Problem is by tagetting the few, you are affecting the freedom of the many, that’s why he has to kid himself on the ‘overwhelming’ evidence, it’s the only way he can end-run the constitution.

gamegod25 says:

Just goes to show that not only does he know nothing about videogames, but that apparently he can’t make the distinction between reality and fiction. Making the decision to "harm" something that isn’t real is NOT the same thing as doing so to something that is real. Pressing a button is NOT the same as firing a real weapon in any way, nor will it teach you to do so or provide access to them.

The simple fact is that anyone who would murder is inherintly unstable to begin with, and that we have to debate this at all is astonishing. Do videogames turn people into killers? NO! END OF DISCUSSION!

Zero Beat says:

I understand it now.  Yee speaks of individuals that play video games as though they are actually committing crimes such as assault and battery, solicitation of prostitution, and murder.  This means that Leland Yee is unable to distinguish between fantasy and reality, and as such, should not be allowed to be near anyone, for any stimulus of any kind could maybe trigger a reaction.  He might or might not commit a violent act that may or may not harm people, so to be on the safe side, let’s lock him up and keep him sedated.

It’s not that I disagree with his stance or anything, I’m just trying to look out for the public’s best interest.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Sai says:

Making a "conscious decision" to "harm" something that you know is only a bunch of 1’s and 0’s and a physics engine is not the same as becoming a cold-blooded murderer. Who would even think that?

Conejo says:

the intent may be coming from the right place, but the action is a bit misguided.

honestly, i think Yee is a rational man who is just dealing with something new without also trying to come up with a new method for dealing with it.

Here are we — and yonder yawns the universe.

kris44dad says:

Dan

"Pressing a button to shoot a gun. Aiming the camera towards civilian. Press button to shoot gun at said civilian. How sophisticated. Seriously, there is nothing so sophisticated in games that would result in parents being unlikely to find out if they actually put effort into watching what their kids play."

True. If they watch the whole thing. The point he is making is that you can’t see the worrisome content unless you play through a substantial portion of some games, if you have the expertise to trigger the storyline at all, as in story games like Mass Effect.

But as a parent, I do believe the game industry does a proper job in it’s safeguards without government intervention.

gellymatos says:

"That is a fair criticism. I’m not a player. But I have seen individuals who play these games. I have seen individuals using a baseball bat and bludgeoning a hooker to death, or taking a gun and shooting a cop. Those are the direct result of someone pushing a button and making a conscious decision. I can see that that kind of connection between your action and the consequent behavior is dangerous."

That’s right ladies and gentlemen. Pressing a button is somehow accurately simulates the activity it activates. Yes, it’s a consious decision, as is all good ones that have ever done in a game. A concious decision in a game is not the same as that in real life. The consequences are entirely different, and any mind (except for those off their nut) can grasp such a concept. If anything, the only thing that the violence can really do is the same as can be done for a movie. And last I checked, movies aren’t regulated by the government.

"With a movie you can sit there for two hours and see everything. In these violent games, parents may never fully understand what they contain because you have to be a very sophisticated player to trigger them."

"I’m never going to be the person who stands up and says we should ban these ultra-violent video games. I’m just saying children ought not to be allowed to access them unless a parent buys it for them. Otherwise, video games are just as worthy under the 1st Amendment as movies."

In that case, because the current ESRB system works wonderfully when combined with the strict policies of stores, there should be no issue. Why do you have an issue?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

TBoneTony says:

Somehow Yee seems to mistake pressing a button in a game with pressing a button that launches a neuclear missile…

I have launched many neuclear missiles in Missile Command back on the Atari 2600, but so far the world is just fine because the only neuclear bomb that has ever been used was used at the end of WW2 long before videogames have ever been invented.

Father Time says:

"I can see that that kind of connection between your action and the consequent behavior is dangerous."

So pressing buttons to make virtual people do stuff is dangerous?

Does he even know what he’s saying?

—————————————————-

Hypevosa says:

Assuming he isn’t full of crap with his last statement, I have no problem with his idea.  I however, do hold issue with what this legislation may make others try to push for.  They may attempt to take that last step and try to ban them for everyone.  I mainly am concerned for what others will try to twist off of this law if it is passed, not with the reasoning behind the law itself (though I don’t know how it is meant to be executed).  But I understand and sympathize with his position, and I do believe it is the parents’ responsibility to determine what their children are mature enough to play, or what they are willing to let their children play.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." ~Best quote ever, Albert Einstein

ZippyDSMlee says:

……….. spin spin spin………… its real simple dear when you treat a book, a video a comic and a video game the same thats when I will take 5 minutes to listen to you before I take 50 and tell you how wrong you re with a good old wall of text!

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

Vinzent says:

"I have seen individuals using a baseball bat and bludgeoning a hooker to death, or taking a gun and shooting a cop. Those are the direct result of someone pushing a button and making a conscious decision."

Because these things never happened before pong.

Karsten Aaen says:

And isn’t this the way it is today? Games such as GTA IV, Manhunt, Call of Duty, DA: Origins and other Mature rated games can only be sold to minors unless a parent by these games for them? Not because of a state or federal law, but mainly because the shops requires this…

Andrew Eisen says:

"I’m just saying children ought not to be allowed to access them unless a parent buys it for them."

Why not?  Do you have a good reason?  No?  Then it’s not your call for anyone but your own children.

Andrew Eisen

hellfire7885 says:

Pardon my language but Yee as usual is full of horseshit.

He is seeking a ban, he’s just looking to do it through the chilling effect than an outright ban.