Russian Government May Back Games

May 5, 2010 -

Russia’s Communications ministry and 1C, developer of games such as IL-2 Sturmovik and Red Orchestra, are already working on six flight simulator games, according to Russian website RiaNovosti. The main goal of the games would be to “to create low-cost educational and professional simulators for pilots, promote Russian information technology abroad, and increase Russia's hi-tech exports.”

A budget of 720.0 million rubles (approximately $24.0 million U.S.) would be required to back the full project, of which the government would contribute 500.0 million rubles (approximately $16.6 million U.S.) and 1C 200.0 million rubles (approximately $6.7 million U.S.). The remaining 20.0 million rubles would come from “the government of Russia's Khanty-Mansiysk region.”

The Kremlin has not signed off on the project as of yet though, even after 1C CEO Boris Nuraliev reportedly demoed a version to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev. A Presidential aide, it was written, called the project “interesting,” but “was not sure whether it needed government support.”

Perhaps one of the games could feature the incredibly gigantic, and formerly top-secret, Russian-built Ekranoplans, which could skim across the water at speeds of 500 knots (about 575 MPH).

|Via Edge|

Comments

Re: Russian Government May Back Games

"The Russian government has drafted a commercially successful local game developer in order to create videogames that would promote patriotism and serve up the “historic truth” of the country’s past endeavors."

Yes, such endeavors. Such "historic truth" such as this:

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Re: Russian Government May Back Games

The phrase 'historic truth' always means 'propaganda'. That's true no matter which government uses the phrase. For true (non-propaganda) 'historic truth', the word 'facts' - or even just 'history' - suffices.

Re: Russian Government May Back Games

Yeah, good luck with that. 1C makes arcade sims dressed up with pretty graphics. If the Russians are looking for a developer for a professional sim for pilots, let's hope Russian pilots have a back-up plan for learning how to fly, otherwise I'll be avoiding Aeroflot like the plague.

Poll