Target Protein Instead of Animals in Tofu Hunter

On behalf of Adult Swim Games, developer This Is Pop has created a “green” hunting game that substitutes a tasteless food made from coagulated soy milk as a target instead of typical living wildlife.

Tofu Hunter lets users blast away at such non-indigenous species such as Tofu Dogs, Tofu Bucks and Trophy Tofu (complete with sear marks). Players must avoid Tofu Does and are awarded bonus time for shooting Soy Milk containers.

Even with a lack of real animals the game manages to impart a realistic feel, so much so, in fact, that a few commenters on a PETA blog post about the game indicated that it made them uncomfortable to play.  “… honestly it is so close to animal hunting in every way that I found myself sick to my stomach. I didn’t find it different than the deer hunting games at all, except that the target was white and square,” wrote a user named Barb.

“I tried the game and it was really close to hunting games that made me feel ill,” wrote user Allie, adding, “That being said, I didn’t find this game offensive. I am a vegan and I think chasing tofu around and shooting it is not something I will lose sleep over.”

To be fair, This Is Pop does warn about the violence before players take to the game, stating, “This game contains graphic depictions of violence against tofu. We use this violence not to shock, but to better illustrate the pain and suffering that innocent tofu goes through every day in the barbaric name of veganism.”

Kojiro says:

In what game can we hunt PETA people?  I’d play that one.  Or maybe a whale hunting game where you spear that fat idiot from the Sea Shepard?

Chris Kimberley says:

IIRC eating too much processed soy does indeed mess with your hormones.  Emphasis on "processed" as I understand it.  Though I think that’s mostly academic as most soy products are processed as I understand it.

Chris Kimberley

SS says:

Thats so beautiful.  Nothing like meat, I don’t know how people don’t like it.

Also, doesn’t eating too much soy mess with your bodies hormones?  I’m a growing teenager, I need my meat, and I definitely don’t need estrogen.

gellymatos says:

Nope. I’ll keep enjoying my meat. Now, it they think that’s uncomfortable…

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

gellymatos says:

Aren’t they? And I’ve been to the places that have those sexy things. Meat on swords as far as the eye can see. God Bless Brazil. Though I think PETA thinks quite the opposite.

jedidethfreak says:

Agreed, wholeheartedly on all points.  When I ran a movie theater for a major US theater chain, one of my assistants was full-on vegan, to the point of no eggs, no milk, no cheese and so forth.  However, he didn’t give two shits if I ate a Domino’s pizza with every meat topping they offered.

It’s the ones that look at you like you’re the devil for eating a bratwurst at a baseball game that piss me off.

With the first link, the chain is forged.

hellfire7885 says:

Heh, if it makes PETA uncomfortable then it must be a good thing.

I do respect any vegetarian who respects other’s right to eat meat if they so choose, it’s when they get all peachy like PETA does that I get offended by them.

SeanB says:

Some day i’m going to find a way to prove that plants not only feel pain, but remember and react to pain, then Vegans are going to have to starve, muahahahaha!

a_pink_poodle says:

They don’t have a problem with eating their murdered tofu but they don’t like how it’s killed in front of the other baby tofu’s?

Let them enjoy their soy cube of death and murder!