Scuttlebutt: Rockstar Title Banned in UAE

May 17, 2010 -

Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption won’t be up offered for sale in the United Arab Emirates, at least according to chatter on a forum dedicated to visitors of the MEGamers website.

In response to a post asking if the title would be available in the UAE, user GetUpYaSook offered that a “Retailer at Dubai Mall told me last night that Red Dead has indeed been banned.” None of the users seemed to worry much about the game being banned, indicating, in as many words, that such bans are not all-encompassing and there is always a way to acquire a game.

MEGamers (Via MCVUK) did ask local distributor Red Entertainment about the ban and received a “no comment.”

While it can only be speculated what caused the apparent ban, a True/Slant piece on Red Dead Redemption does focus on a particularly gruesome aspect of the game—users can hogtie a nun and dump her body in front of an oncoming train in order to reap an achievement labeled “Dastardly.”

The unlock does not force users to select a nun as their victim; any character will suffice. Still, the author admitted being, “…a little surprised they still give a score bonus after mercilessly killing a woman of the cloth.”

Video of the unlock in question taking place can be viewed on LiveLeak. As True/Slant notes, “To my knowledge, there’s no actual mission to murder nuns—this is just a few twisted dudes inventing their own fun.

Thanks Cheater87!

Comments

Re: Scuttlebutt: Rockstar Title Banned in UAE

People need to remember, in that region of the world, its a bad thing to kill women in films and video games. However, its perfectly fine to kill them in real life over there.

Re: Scuttlebutt: Rockstar Title Banned in UAE

Was just about to make the same comment, but why repeat it, eh?

Re: Scuttlebutt: Rockstar Title Banned in UAE

>As True/Slant notes, “To my knowledge, there’s no actual mission to murder nuns—this is just a few twisted dudes inventing their own fun.

This is significantly more than Fox News or the Daily Mail will give the title when they find out.

/b

Re: Scuttlebutt: Rockstar Title Banned in UAE

How many shops sell banned games?

Re: Scuttlebutt: Rockstar Title Banned in UAE

I think its enough that gamers in the middle east no longer cries when a game is banned from legal retail stores.

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm