Kid Survey: Nature Can’t Hold a Candle to TV & Games

May 24, 2010 -

As part of its support of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), airplane manufacturer Airbus recently conducted a survey of over 10,000 kids between the ages of 5-18 (from ten different countries) in a bid to explore the youngster’s perception of nature.

Asked what their favorite pastime was, 17.2 percent indicated it was watching TV, while 34.3 percent said it was playing computer games. 30 percent said that spending time outdoors was their favorite activity.

When queried on what was most important to them, 26 percent answered “playing on the computer,” and 14 percent answered “watching TV,” while saving the environment was tops to only 4 percent of the kids polled.

Looking at results broken down by geographic location (PDF), kids in Singapore were most likely (46.1 percent) to answer that playing PC games was their favorite activity, while U.S. youth were most likely (52 percent) to say that their favorite pastime was to spend time outdoors. U.S. kids were also the most likely (41.8 percent) to indicate that saving the environment was least important to them.

When asked what nature attribute they would most like to have in real life, the top answer from the children of nine countries was to “fly like a bird.” Only kids from Mexico answered differently, preferring instead (generally) to “swing in trees like a monkey.”

Via Spong, thanks Andrew!

Comments

Re: Kid Survey: Nature Can’t Hold a Candle to TV & Games

This sounds a little bit racist, but their the ones that said it. Unless its funny sarcasm.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Kid Survey: Nature Can’t Hold a Candle to TV & Games

I wonder how many of the kids had parents that have been influenced by the media's "someone's gonna snatch your kids when you're not looking" fear mongering crap and actually encourage their kids to do stuff indoors. Then again, TV and now (or well the last 20 years) videogames have been used as babysitters also, while feeding them excessive amounts of processed/fast food. Anyway, I, like always, blame parents for not getting their kids outside and active.

Re: Kid Survey: Nature Can’t Hold a Candle to TV & Games

I also wonder how much the news media has played a part in making kids realize that real life kinda sucks?

TBoneTony

Re: Kid Survey: Nature Can’t Hold a Candle to TV & Games

Well, considering that saving the environment is something that not many people really have any real say in, no wonder most kids don't want to get involved in groups like Greenpeace since Greenpeace are more like an anti-corporation organisation as far as I have been aware of.

And if computer games industry is as big as it is, no wonder Greenpeace hates the computer games.

TBoneTony

Re: Kid Survey: Nature Can’t Hold a Candle to TV & Games

"10,000 kids between the ages of 5-18"

I'd be interested to know how the answers broke down by age.

Andrew Eisen

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm