Midway Sings Swan Song

May 25, 2010 -

It looks like the company known as Midway is sun setting, soon to fade away forever. On May 21, U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Kevin Gross approved a liquidation plan that will see Midway pay back less than 16.5 percent of debt owed to "unsecured noteholders" and 25 percent of what is owed to "unsecured credit holders."

Midway filed for bankruptcy protection in Feb. of 2009, and managed to generate some $33 million in cash from the sale of assets like Mortal Kombat to Warner Bros. (a Time Warner company). In May of 2009, Midway's creditors sued former Midway majority stakeholder Sumner Redstone and his daughter - former Midway chair Shari Redstone, and Midway board members over the 2008 sale of the company to investor Mark Thomas. Thomas settled with creditors quickly, but Redstone and associates did not. That lawsuit continued until Feb. of this year, when the same bankruptcy judge dismissed the Redstone portion of it.

A lawyer for Midway told Bloomberg that Redstone's National Amusements agreed to pay approximately $1 million USD into a "liquidation trust" in return for the dismissal of the lawsuit.

Unsecured creditors walk away with about $9.2 million (owed about $36.7 million collectively) and unsecured noteholders (owed about $155 million) will be paid $25.5 million.

Source: Bloomberg via Gamasutra

Posted in

Comments

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

I remember playing their racing games on my N64: RUSH!

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

mortal_kombat1fatality.jpg fatality image by Kainthebeast

FATALITY!

Too bad, really. But somehow, there were a point when they stopped to being relevant on any level. Sadly, DC Universe Vs. Mortal Kombat kinda was their last chance but didn´t make it well at all.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

There are so many things wrong with that picture that I don't even know where to begin.

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

Why not start with the most bltantly obvious in having a fatality that was done with little health lost.

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

Maybe is an old picture of a beta version. Now I remember there were a similar question about this on a game magazine in the 90´s.

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

I wonder who might pick up Mortal Kombat.

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

Did you even read the article? MK was sold to Warner Brothers back in 2009

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

Ah, ok, my bad. Heh, makes me think MK vs DC was the last we'll see.

Re: Midway Sings Swan Song

Apparently they own the rights to Klax (It is the nineties!) I'd buy the rights for it for a dollar.

IvresseWell Totalbiscuit's port report video was positively glowing about it...04/21/2015 - 4:05am
MattsworknameHey, slightly off topic, but, anyone got a good sugestion for a flight stick for elite dangerous?04/21/2015 - 12:38am
Matthew Wilson@pm intreasting the gta5 port was already good from what I have read.04/20/2015 - 9:32pm
Papa Midnighthttp://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-pc-patch-reduces-cpu-usage/04/20/2015 - 9:00pm
PHX Corp@zippy I'm Probaly going to Warn my uncle who is a techie that it may come out at the end of july04/20/2015 - 8:45pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy I want windows 10 badly, but that is because I am stuck on 8.1 yuk. that being said the new dx12 looks very good, and the reported performance gain from it.04/20/2015 - 8:00pm
ZippyDSMleeMy body is readY! http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2015/04/20/amd-microsoft-to-launch-windows-10-at-the-end-of-july04/20/2015 - 7:54pm
PHX CorpI may have posted this before but a leaked email from Sony pictures has the MPAA written all over it http://www.extremetech.com/computing/203654-leaked-sony-emails-show-mpaas-opposition-to-fair-use-confirms-users-are-viewed-as-thieves04/20/2015 - 4:53pm
Mattsworknameyet another reason the DMCA should be dismantled and rewritten04/20/2015 - 4:41pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy that is worse than the ESA thing.04/20/2015 - 4:26pm
ZippyDSMlee0-o good luck with that car companies, http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/automakers-gearheads-car-repairs/04/20/2015 - 4:07pm
Andrew EisenYes, hence my subsequent shout.04/20/2015 - 3:15pm
Matthew Wilsonwhile the article itself isnt that great, but the point is still valid.04/20/2015 - 3:14pm
Andrew EisenProfessionals do need to be mindful of what they say on social media though. That's true.04/20/2015 - 3:11pm
Andrew EisenWell, it was almost a decent article from Techraptor. Some day. Some day...04/20/2015 - 3:09pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://techraptor.net/content/gamings-pr-problem both game devs and pr people alike need to to keep in mind, when your on twiter you are also representing the company you work for.04/20/2015 - 2:39pm
E. Zachary KnightI don't really care either way, but that was just my understanding based on previous reads.04/20/2015 - 2:13pm
E. Zachary KnightBut now I am confused. I thought Johnny Storm was the adopted one, but the dad is black. Does that mean that Sue is adopted or is it just an interracial marriage with existing children?04/20/2015 - 2:12pm
E. Zachary KnightNew Fantastic 4 trailer finally shows powers and just a wee bit of whimsy. Not too much mind you. No need to dilute the dark and brooding. http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/431505-the-new-trailer-for-fantastic-four-is-here04/20/2015 - 2:11pm
E. Zachary KnightOk. Just checked another of my Twitter accounts and there is a setting, opt-in. So it looks like a slow roll out.04/20/2015 - 1:17pm