National Debt Game Takes Prize at Games for Change

June 1, 2010 -

A game that has players attempt to reconcile their share of the massive U.S. national debt was chosen as “Most Likely to Succeed” in a competition at last week’s seventh annual Games for Change conference.

U.O.Me (You Owe Me) is the brainchild of two “public policy experts,” Eric Heis and Nicola Moore, and allows players to “make policy decisions and personal sacrifices to pay down the debt,” which is estimated at around $201,000 per person. It’s promised that, by the time they finish the game, players will “understand what a huge challenge reducing their personal share of the national debt really is.”

Moore stated, “Our game will reach new audiences with nonpartisan policy education.” She added, “Our greatest challenge is trying to get others in our generation who stand to inherit $62 trillion of debt--to understand what that means for their future.”

Heis and Moore began their project with a grant that emerged from pitching the game at last year’s Democracy 2.0: Millennial Return on our Investment conference, but still require additional funding to finish their game.  Donations are being accepted through the KickStarter website and the pair is requesting $10,000 in total to complete the title. 25 backers have so far contributed $755.

Comments

Re: National Debt Game Takes Prize at Games for Change

I think that should be 6 "point" 2 trillion dollars, not sixty two.

Re: National Debt Game Takes Prize at Games for Change

Nah, that sounds about right.

According to this "real-time" clock the total US debt (consumer., business, state and federal) is $55 trillion.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am