Player Knifed in CS, Waits 7 Months, Returns Favor in Real Life

Seven months after being knifed virtually in an online round of Counter-Strike, a 20-year old French gamer tracked down his online assailer and stabbed him in the chest.

Julien Barreaux hunted down his victim, identified only as Mikhael, after falling under his knife in a November 2009 game of CS, according to the Telegraph. It turned out that Mikhael lived only a “few miles” from Barreaux, who visited the house and stabbed Mikhael in the chest when he answered the door, just missing his heart. Mikhael apparently survived the attack.

Barreaux was arrested within an hour of the attack and sentenced to two years in jail, and also will be forced to undergo psychiatric tests. The attacker was dubbed a “menace to society” by Judge Alexiane Potel, who added, “I am frankly terrified of the disproportionate reaction you could have if someone looked at you the wrong way in the street.”

|Via Hot Blooded Gaming|

Michael Chandra says:

To everyone who don’t believe the virtual kniving to have anything to do with it, the guy confessed that was the reason! He has stated himself he plotted revenge for seven months. It’s right there on the original article.

Ryno says:

You never know, that could be the max for a first-time offender in France, especially if they’re deemed crazy. His "psychiatric counseling" could be institutionalization until he’s deemed fit to return to society.

Saying that Jack Thompson is impotent is an insult to impotent men everywhere. They’ve got a whole assortment of drugs that can cure their condition; Jack, however…

Father Time says:

I’m suspicious that the knife was the reason for this.

He didn’t play Counter Strike during those 7 months?

If he did he must’ve gotten knifed again.

The whole thing just strikes of ‘police got his motive completely wrong’, but then again they undoutedly know more about the case then I do.

If however that was the motive then he is insane, and I’m glad they’re given him a psych evaluation.

Kojiro says:

I call BS that the CS knife had anything to do with this.  People knife and get knifed all the time in CS.  I’m was a pretty good ninjah myself, and prided myself on knifing a lot of people every game.

Dejiko says:

I bet he goes after him again after that slap on the wrist sentance runs out.

You would think the judge would give him the maximum after he called him a "menace to society".

SimonBob says:

I wish I could see some replays, because dying once in CS isn’t that big a deal.  I bet this Mikhael guy was owning Barreaux round after round, day after day.  Lucky the lag compensation didn’t give him an unfair backstab.

Bennett Beeny says:

Nice to see a judge who doesn’t automatically start a tirade against video games and who instead puts the blame squarely where it belongs – i.e. the assailant’s insanely bad temper.