Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

June 1, 2010 -

Glinn & Giordano, a California-based physical therapy business, recently conducted a study which focused on the posture of gamers between the ages of five and fifteen.

The study, done in conjunction with the Cal State Bakersfield Department of Physical Education, watched the youngsters as they played a title for five minutes. Preliminary findings, as offered by Bakersfield.com, suggested that “posture became worse as the five minutes wore on and that children sitting in chairs had better posture both at the start and finish than did those sitting on the floor.”

Glinn & Giordano’s Brian Monroe, a Doctor of Physical Therapy, therefore recommended that games should be played from a chair “with feet flat on the ground and back support." He also suggested that parents should correct the posture of their kids if they see a forward-leaning head, rounded shoulders and/or the lower back rounding forward.

Full results of the study will be released in a few weeks.

Comments

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

If he thinks that's bad, he better not even attempt to look at kids reading. I don't know about you, but I usually sprawl out pretty good when I got a book in hand.

Watching TV? that means I am laying down or as best I can stretch out to watch it.

Playing games? Sitting up right, inclined forward, and a look of concentration on my face. Except for Monster Hunter, I veg out to that game.

"

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

Thats interesting. When i was a kid i had board games, lego and action figures to keep me amused. Since we only had one TV i couldnt play on my master system (ah nostalgia) constantly.

How often do you think i sat on a chair to do any of that?

If anything playing on consoles meant i was sitting on the sofa more than i would of been otherwise.

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

"children sitting in chairs had better posture both at the start and finish than did those sitting on the floor.”

No shit Sherlock.

Andrew EisenNo.05/05/2015 - 4:16pm
Wonderkarphey Andrew, got a question. do you think Nintendo will pull a Wii and delay Zelda onto their "new console" like they did with Twilight Princess?05/05/2015 - 4:15pm
Wonderkarpand it said it was submitted but i never saw anything05/05/2015 - 4:11pm
Wonderkarpno. i sent info regarding that "games dont make people sexist" study from Germany.05/05/2015 - 4:07pm
MGI love how people try to use "white knight" as a negative. Yes, please call me the chivalrous defender of the weak, the innocent, and the downtrodden. The reverse of calling someone the white knight means he/she is this http://tinyurl.com/o4sv8kr05/05/2015 - 4:06pm
Andrew EisenAnyway, I'm checking into the Submit News button. Were you getting an error or something?05/05/2015 - 4:06pm
Wonderkarpalright Andrew.05/05/2015 - 4:05pm
MechaCrashThat would require him to make even the barest attempt to educate himself before shooting his mouth off.05/05/2015 - 4:03pm
Andrew EisenOh for crying out loud, stop sniping at each other. Find an issue to discuss instead. Preferably something other than what you think about one another.05/05/2015 - 4:01pm
MechaCrashYour feeble attempts to salvage your pride are not being bought by anybody. Go cry to whatever circlejerk about how the mean ol' SJW persecuted you just because you're a hypocrite who claims to be about ethics and then displays none.05/05/2015 - 3:57pm
Wonderkarpwant me gone? Sure, I'll leave. you can be the brave white knight who slayed the fish to appease those who look down on you. *clap clap*05/05/2015 - 3:54pm
WonderkarpOnly reason I came back was to make sure a story got reported here. I was going to use the submit news button but that doesnt work. I pop in time to time, dont comment. Why I'm commenting now? Boredom most likely. Boredom and Venting.05/05/2015 - 3:52pm
MechaCrashAt this point I'm wondering how much of this you'll take before you throw another tantrum and LEAVE FOREVER for the third time.05/05/2015 - 3:47pm
MechaCrashHaha, do you really think I'm the only one who holds you in contempt for misattributing and then complaining about a video you refuse to watch? It's just that I'm willing to be blunt enough to call you on it.05/05/2015 - 3:46pm
WonderkarpIt bottles down to I dont care what you think of me, MechaCrash.05/05/2015 - 3:42pm
Wonderkarpits like "I'm not a racist because I have a black friend and dance around the words I say" and it isnt your general feelings05/05/2015 - 3:38pm
WonderkarpAnybody who takes the time to explain why they arent a sexist is a sexist. if you call me sexist. fine. then I'm sexist to you. I call you a dumbass. doesn't make you a dumbass but you are definitely one to me.05/05/2015 - 3:37pm
MechaCrashGotta love how the attempt to not look sexist by whining about McIntosh and not Sarkeesian just makes you look even more sexist. By the way, you might want to watch these videos before handing down judgement, it might help obscure your reactionary idiocy.05/05/2015 - 3:32pm
WonderkarpI wish I was a rainbow unicorn. I Like My Little Pony05/05/2015 - 2:59pm
Matthew WilsonI am ok with brand deals, so long as they say it up front.05/05/2015 - 2:50pm