Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

June 1, 2010 -

Glinn & Giordano, a California-based physical therapy business, recently conducted a study which focused on the posture of gamers between the ages of five and fifteen.

The study, done in conjunction with the Cal State Bakersfield Department of Physical Education, watched the youngsters as they played a title for five minutes. Preliminary findings, as offered by Bakersfield.com, suggested that “posture became worse as the five minutes wore on and that children sitting in chairs had better posture both at the start and finish than did those sitting on the floor.”

Glinn & Giordano’s Brian Monroe, a Doctor of Physical Therapy, therefore recommended that games should be played from a chair “with feet flat on the ground and back support." He also suggested that parents should correct the posture of their kids if they see a forward-leaning head, rounded shoulders and/or the lower back rounding forward.

Full results of the study will be released in a few weeks.

Comments

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

If he thinks that's bad, he better not even attempt to look at kids reading. I don't know about you, but I usually sprawl out pretty good when I got a book in hand.

Watching TV? that means I am laying down or as best I can stretch out to watch it.

Playing games? Sitting up right, inclined forward, and a look of concentration on my face. Except for Monster Hunter, I veg out to that game.

"

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

Thats interesting. When i was a kid i had board games, lego and action figures to keep me amused. Since we only had one TV i couldnt play on my master system (ah nostalgia) constantly.

How often do you think i sat on a chair to do any of that?

If anything playing on consoles meant i was sitting on the sofa more than i would of been otherwise.

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

"children sitting in chairs had better posture both at the start and finish than did those sitting on the floor.”

No shit Sherlock.

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm